1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Interface, Jan 29, 2009.

1. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

And of course there is no stopping you from switching to that 21 year old at the coffee shop when she does!

...or even when she doesn't...[​IMG]

2. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Women tell me it is intellect, sense of humor, variety of interests and general outlook.

...and ambition, drive.

If you are visiting gay bars, yes. But if you tend to go out to nice places, you attract the women. I "peacock" and it is called a pocket square. That is my bling. A conversation starter. Attractive women approach me all the time. They ask me out. Give me their phone numbers.

+10000000000000000000

Nonsense, get a Ph.D., a puppy, the box DVD of Sex in the City and a box of flavored body paints if you want to attract women.
    PhD? Flavored body paints?

3. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

You are talking college ... I would hope some version of #1 (unless in Business School).

4. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's not about how you dress but how you look and how you pull it off. Usually people are a little too self-conscious about what they're wearing but some body types and some faces are just not suited to do some things.

The best dressed guy is someone who likes to wear preppy stuff (dress shirt/polo probably 3 days a week) and the cardigan/sweater vest clothes. Distressed (but not offending) slim jeans and the same pair of PF Flyers almost everyday. He's pretty popular with everyone but he's not the type of guy that girls are dying to fuck but a lot of girls like him and recognize him as the best dressed guy at school.

5. robdpittman

robdpittman Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's not about how you dress but how you look and how you pull it off. Usually people are a little too self-conscious about what they're wearing but some body types and some faces are just not suited to do some things.

The best dressed guy is someone who likes to wear preppy stuff (dress shirt/polo probably 3 days a week) and the cardigan/sweater vest clothes. Distressed (but not offending) slim jeans and the same pair of PF Flyers almost everyday. He's pretty popular with everyone but he's not the type of guy that girls are dying to fuck but a lot of girls like him and recognize him as the best dressed guy at school.

The first part of this is right on the money. It's all about being comfortable in your own skin. If you want to attract shallow, materialistic women, then sure- get rich, work out, and let everybody know it. If you want to attract women of substance, be of substance yourself. Have your own beliefs, develop your own skills, dress the way you want to dress, and do things that you enjoy. These are things that will make you happy. And presumably, in the course of pursuing these things, you'll meet women who have some of the same interests, and will admire the fact that you're in charge of your life.

This doesn't just go for attracting women (or men). If you do what makes you happy, people are going to enjoy being around you, because you're happy. As for how to dress, how to act, what to eat, blah blah blah...do what feels right to you. I strongly believe that if more people followed their own tastes and aesthetic sensibilities that they would end up at many similar conclusions, ultimately. Popular fads and counterculture alternatives govern far too much of our lives.

Whatever your background, race or religion, I think human morality/spirituality comes down to a fairly basic concept - respect yourself, and respect others.

Or in simpler terms - don't be an arsehole [​IMG]

6. Patek14

Patek14 Well-Known Member

I'm in my mid 20's. The first time I wore a pocket square with a blazer, a few mid-20's ladies said "You look like you belong on a yacht" and gave me a funny look.

Dress like a slob dude, dressing well looks wierd to most normal young people

7. bourbon51

bourbon51 New Member

As a junior at a big state school, I recommend going with the J Crew-ish look. Normal stuff for college, but fitted well and slightly dressier than everyone else. You want to look nice and well put together, but not stand out as being odd or trying too hard.

Although since my school is in the West and has constant warm weather it is probably more casual than some Eastern schools. Hell, sandals are acceptable almost year-round here.

Oh, and for the record no one dresses in AF or Hollister anymore. Pretty high school. Try to avoid logos (except like Polo or Lacoste, etc). If it's a little chilly a half zip or v-neck sweater over dark jeans is good. Depending on the weather it's nice to throw a slim blazer or tweed coat on every once in a while. In summer either a polo or linen/light cotton shirt over plain trim shorts would be the more casual option, then take it up in formality from there depending on wherever you're going out to.

You could get by just about any informal situation with a pair of Clarks DBs, some Jack Purcells, and Rainbows. Toss in a pair of Top Siders if you feel like it.

And I always get the feeling that when girls like you they'll compliment just about anything you wear. [​IMG]

8. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Well-Known Member

I would recommend finding the kind of girl you find attractive and dressing similar to her. If you think punks are hot dress punk, if you like preppy girls dress prep, etc.

Chad

9. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Well-Known Member

I'm in my mid 20's. The first time I wore a pocket square with a blazer, a few mid-20's ladies said "You look like you belong on a yacht" and gave me a funny look.

As a junior at a big state school, I recommend going with the J Crew-ish look. Normal stuff for college, but fitted well and slightly dressier than everyone else. You want to look nice and well put together, but not stand out as being odd or trying too hard.

Although since my school is in the West and has constant warm weather it is probably more casual than some Eastern schools. Hell, sandals are acceptable almost year-round here.

Oh, and for the record no one dresses in AF or Hollister anymore. Pretty high school. Try to avoid logos (except like Polo or Lacoste, etc). If it's a little chilly a half zip or v-neck sweater over dark jeans is good. Depending on the weather it's nice to throw a slim blazer or tweed coat on every once in a while. In summer either a polo or linen/light cotton shirt over plain trim shorts would be the more casual option, then take it up in formality from there depending on wherever you're going out to.

You could get by just about any informal situation with a pair of Clarks DBs, some Jack Purcells, and Rainbows. Toss in a pair of Top Siders if you feel like it.

And I always get the feeling that when girls like you they'll compliment just about anything you wear. [​IMG]

Both of these replies represent anathema to clothing fori culture, but are exactly right.

10. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

Women like success, power, and stability. Maybe not in that order.

Successful people don't always wear suits anymore. The generation before mine took care of that.

College girls may not be looking for a stable relationship. If that is the case, I'm not sure what they want other than a good looking guy, thats tall, is clean, has at least some money, is a good lay? Maybe they're not picky. Don't know, don't care, they're not interesting to me.

As for the other ones. Confidence. Doesn't matter what you wear.

11. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

Just start wearing a damn suit everyday already!

Someone at my college did this. It was a horrible black suit, and I swear it was the same one every day. We would go down the same paths after class and I noticed that his vent was still sewn up, for 4 months straight. I would silently rage behind him.[​IMG]

12. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

More people need to understand this. This is why men still sport fauxhawks, cheap cologne(4-5 sprays minimum), nose rings, and ugly tattoos.

"Girls dig it, bro!! I get complements like crazy."

13. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

The first part of this is right on the money. It's all about being comfortable in your own skin. If you want to attract shallow, materialistic women, then sure- get rich, work out, and let everybody know it. If you want to attract women of substance, be of substance yourself. Have your own beliefs, develop your own skills, dress the way you want to dress, and do things that you enjoy. These are things that will make you happy. And presumably, in the course of pursuing these things, you'll meet women who have some of the same interests, and will admire the fact that you're in charge of your life.

This doesn't just go for attracting women (or men). If you do what makes you happy, people are going to enjoy being around you, because you're happy. As for how to dress, how to act, what to eat, blah blah blah...do what feels right to you. I strongly believe that if more people followed their own tastes and aesthetic sensibilities that they would end up at many similar conclusions, ultimately. Popular fads and counterculture alternatives govern far too much of our lives.

Whatever your background, race or religion, I think human morality/spirituality comes down to a fairly basic concept - respect yourself, and respect others.

Or in simpler terms - don't be an arsehole [​IMG]

Excellent!

14. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

You need to dress according to the stage you are at in life, your socio-economic level and the kinds of people you are interested in interaction with.

15. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

More people need to understand this. This is why men still sport fauxhawks, cheap cologne(4-5 sprays minimum), nose rings, and ugly tattoos.

"Girls dig it, bro!! I get complements like crazy."

True, unless you are looking for WOMEN (not girls) who actually bring something to the table...

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

You need to dress according to the stage you are at in life, your socio-economic level and the kinds of people you are interested in interaction with.
    Like if I earn the big bucks I have to wear a suit? WTF? You don't have to do anything; it's fucking clothes.

17. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

it's fucking clothes.

True, but isen't this a site and thread specifically about clothes? [​IMG]

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

True, but isen't this a site and thread specifically about clothes? [​IMG]
    Exactly so it's important to fight prescriptive bullshit like yours. If you don't care about clothing and just want to be relatively appropriate to the situation your advice would stand, although it wouldn't mean much in terms of precise types of clothing. However we like our clothes and certainly won't be entirely restricted by our social surroundings.

19. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

Like if I earn the big bucks I have to wear a suit? WTF? You don't have to do anything; it's fucking clothes.

I would love to believe that, but clothes, like it or not, are a uniform that tells people (rightly or wrongly) about the group you belong to. People quickly assign you to that group. Your more likely to be taken seriously if you fit the groups norms. Break the norms and you face ridicule to correct the transgression you have made. Continue to break them and you risk being an outcast of the group. (Basic primate social psychology?)

What attracts women are a number of thing unique to each individual. Generally: long-term stability, security (wealth is an indicator of this) and a shared sense of values. This is why women are attracted to older men, generally they have stopped drifting, accumulated resources and are more willing to settle down.

20. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

I would love to believe that, but clothes, like it or not, are a uniform that tells people (rightly or wrongly) about the group you belong to. People quickly assign you to that group. Your more likely to be taken seriously if you fit the groups norms. Break the norms and you face ridicule to correct the transgression you have made. Continue to break them and you risk being an outcast of the group. (Basic primate social psychology?)

What attracts women are a number of thing unique to each individual. Generally: long-term stability, security (wealth is an indicator of this) and a shared sense of values. This is why women are attracted to older men, generally they have stopped drifting, accumulated resources and are more willing to settle down.

+100.

I would like to add: women who themselves have stopped drifting and are in their "settling down" stage are attracted to older men; women who just like to "have fun" (regardless of their age) are less likely to be attracted to what older men have to offer.