• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

inquirer89

Reaction score
To answer the Op, I think it also depends on the college or location. I attend a university in the south, where "Southern Prep" is common. This involves OCBDs, polos, chinos, and loafers or boat shoes . Shirt may be tucked in. This isn't necessarily as fancy as a suit, but its more dressed up than your AF boys.

Levator Superioris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
Save your money and get a motorcycle. Way better than clothes for getting girls.

SHHHH! For the guys who own bikes, its our secret. Women respond alot better to a guy in leathers than a guy in a suit..

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Interface
Hehe you will never quit will you? I like you.
smile.gif

But man, I'm just considering a few possibilities that's all.

Finding it hard to make up my mind.

Also depends on what level of college, and what kind of university. You'll find better dressing in business school than grad school, and better in grad school than undergrad. You might also find a correlation between richer schools and nicer clothes.

Either way - the better dressed people are, the more dressy a look you can get away with.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Levator Superioris
SHHHH! For the guys who own bikes, its our secret. Women respond alot better to a guy in leathers than a guy in a suit..
marchal.gif

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because you dress casual doesn't mean you can't dress well... better than the usual.

Also, just because casual/not dressy styles might pull more ***** in college on a more consistant basis, doesn't mean you can't change it up, keeping things interesting.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends in what mood she is in. If she is smart, she can have both...
smile.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Depends on what kind of women you like.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harry2quinn
You might also find a correlation between richer schools and nicer clothes.

No you won't. Rich people dress dress worse than poor people given that they actually have the means to step up their game.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwedishFish
No you won't. Rich people dress dress worse than poor people given that they actually have the means to step up their game.

Well - yes. But given the fact that they have more money (obviously), their clothes are nicer. Poor people shop at Old Navy, those who have the means shop at BR (or far better). Fact. There may be no systematic difference in fit, color coordination, etc; but the wealthy on average dress better because they own nicer stuff.

And once you get into the really high echelons - upper east side, for example - you're see truly well-dressed people.

It's not without exception, but wealthier people are on average better dressed.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because you're rich does not mean you know how to dress. All it means is you can buy a better label.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harry2quinn

It's not without exception, but wealthier people are on average better dressed.

I don't find this to be true, those that care can obviously dress very well, better than those who care but are less able to afford to. But those that don't care can take their not caring to any lengths they like, because who is going to do anything about it. Some of the worst dressed people I know are also some of the wealthiest.
I once stayed with a quite exceptionally wealthy family in Italy on an exchange, the dad pretty much never got out of his dressing gown and cigar combo, and my exchange partner, his son, dressed like he had picked clothing more or less at random from both a high end boutique and off a dead tramp.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
women prefer a guy to be dressed very nice for the occasion. whether it is casual or dressed up.

True. This includes good fit, good quality and the ability to put things together. There is a difference between elegant casual and crappy casual.

Gutman

Reaction score
haha - opportunity for comedy here, but as we all know the best jokes have a ring of truth...

here goes:

a women likes a man who can be well dressed when required... but she doesn't want a toss pot.

women don't have fixed views about "things" like men do. their world is entirely subjective (ie what they want/need - same thing - at that point in time for whatever reason): they like tradesmen, rich people, and men who can cook and are good with kids, and hunters and soldiers. did i forget a man who treats'm nice and also treats'm mean? in other words, the perfect bad-ass rugged, sophisticated rural urban man who makes them feel special and cherished (emphasis on the how he makes her feel bit). also important that his qualities re same are visibly apparent to her she-friends (note to self: never make her look bad in front of her friends)

she doesn't usually want a man who worries about his clothes more than her
blush.gif
so if you dress well, try to make it look like that happened by accident and you didn't put too much thought into it (cf Hardy Amies - dress carefully, then forget all about it). it can be difficult to give that impression if you spend your evenings at home on styleforum and ebay...

anyway, can't hit a moving target, women change all the time, so you might as well just do what you like, do it well and do it with confidence. just don't over-do it
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads