1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you wear 'flip flops' at the gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by TintoTerra, Dec 20, 2009.

1. stewartu

stewartu Well-Known Member

2. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Well-Known Member

Think of all the mold growing in your gym bag when you put your wet flip-flops in there.

Since I usually go in the sauna for 10 mins after a workout and my bath towel gets sweaty/nasty, I dry off with a clean hand towel before I get dressed (esp between the toes).

Exposure to fungal nastiness is a given in the gym. Letting it grown in a warm, moist environment is your choice.

3. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

Think of all the mold growing in your gym bag when you put your wet flip-flops in there.

Since I usually go in the sauna for 10 mins after a workout and my bath towel gets sweaty/nasty, I dry off with a clean hand towel before I get dressed (esp between the toes).

Exposure to fungal nastiness is a given in the gym. Letting it grown in a warm, moist environment is your choice.

Or you could, you know, dry your flip flops.

4. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Well-Known Member

Who doesn't wear flip flops in a gym shower? Ugh... enjoy your plantar warts.

5. shasta

shasta Well-Known Member

I wear flip flops in the shower @ the gym.

However, I can see where the effort is a bit futile - since you're undoubtedly going to get some "splash back" and overflow running onto your feet unavoidably in the shower.

6. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Well-Known Member

yeap at the gym, back in the dorms and my college apartment. damn they were some rough times

7. Threak

Threak Well-Known Member

...and continually spits as he takes 5 straight minutes to dry off while still in the shower.

It only takes him 2 minutes to dry off, and that's not spit...

8. charliesierra

charliesierra Active Member

If you don't wear some kind of shower shoe/flip-flop in the shower and the locker area, carpeted or not, you're putting your health at risk. The HPV is all over the floor and it's easy to get the strain that gives you plantar warts which are very hard to get rid of. I had one and it took six months to get rid of it. Not to mention dudes pissing, spitting, and coming on everything, pretty nasty. I only wear Otomix sneaks when I work out though, great shoe.

9. shogun

shogun New Member

I wear flip flops in the shower @ the gym.

However, I can see where the effort is a bit futile - since you're undoubtedly going to get some "splash back" and overflow running onto your feet unavoidably in the shower.

I agree with this hypothesis, which brings up the question.....at some point, do you start washing your flip flops separately?

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

If you don't wear some kind of shower shoe/flip-flop in the shower and the locker area, carpeted or not, you're putting your health at risk. The HPV is all over the floor and it's easy to get the strain that gives you plantar warts which are very hard to get rid of.

Do you have any source for this or are you just scaremongering? I've been going to a gym for two decades, have never worn shower shoes and have never had HPV or warts.

11. surfnbank

surfnbank Well-Known Member

I really don't care. In all honesty they have a guy in their constantly cleaning and I think he disinfects at least every 3 hours or so.

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I always have to chuckle to myself when I am in the locker room and see some guy spending 30 minutes in front of a mirror doing whatever to his face and hair and then look down to see him standing barefoot on the tile floor. Absolutely disgusting.

13. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Well-Known Member

yep. not when working out though.

14. charliesierra

charliesierra Active Member

Do you have any source for this or are you just scaremongering? I've been going to a gym for two decades, have never worn shower shoes and have never had HPV or warts.

I'm saying this from experience. HPV is an array of many strains of virus, plantar warts being one of them. Frankly I don't like walking through e-coli, guys spunk and piss either, but that's just me. I'm happy for you but all shower floors are not clean.

15. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

yeap at the gym, back in the dorms and my college apartment. damn they were some rough times

Some wear them to work...

16. svelten

svelten Well-Known Member

I'm saying this from experience. HPV is an array of many strains of virus, plantar warts being one of them. Frankly I don't like walking through e-coli, guys spunk and piss either, but that's just me. I'm happy for you but all shower floors are not clean.

+1

We live in the western world.