1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you wear an undershirt? Why?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Feb 2, 2012.

Do you wear an undershirt?

1. Yes

227 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. kosmic

kosmic New Member

The poll here shows the majority of SFers wear undershirts, myself included.

If I'm wearing a white dress shirt in the summertime I may or may not wear a crew neck shirt underneath. In the wintertime I usually wear a crew neck for the warmth underneath a white shirt. If I'm wearing any other color I will usually wear a wife beater throughout the entire year. Where I work, the summer days can hit 110. Just going outside a short time for lunch walking around in wool pants will cause me to sweat. The undershirt absorbs the sweat so it doesn't look like your dress shirt has patches of moisture all over. Also since I wear a deodorant/anti-perspirant, the crew neck undershirts will eventually get yellow stains on them. It's better for the undershirt to take this beating than your dress shirt.

2. Freddiecool

Freddiecool New Member

I'm really skinny and have taken to wearing the Funkybod undershirt which fills you out and makes for a more manly appearance. See www.funkybod.com to see what I mean. The other thing it does is to stop armpit sweat from ruining my expensive shirts. All the guys in my office wear an undershirt of some sort. I started wearing one because one of the guys in the office was wearing it to hide his manboobs which he talks openly about. When you see someone in a formal shirt without an undershirt the look is not as good in my opinion, looks cleaner with an undershirt on, especially when wearing a white shirt.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

:fonz::bigstar::nodding:

5. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

It was my lame attempt at humour. I actually own wool undershirts, purchased in Italy
    and feel almost like silk. They are for cross country skiing and other cold weather pursuits.

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I've been researching this very question at the Institute of Advanced Studies in Princeton, and have supplemented my work with consulting the I Ching and the Delphic Oracle during a recent trip to Greece. What I have found is that it is best to wear an undershirt when the weather is cold, but not when it is warm or hot. Hanro is the best mass-produced brand of undershirt, because the quality is still good (although not great) and it sticks close to your body without containing the strange, compression properties of Spanx or other low-brow brands.

1 person likes this.
  7. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

Yes. 1) Makes the dress shirt fit "smoother" and 2) prevent potential underarm sweat stains in the dress shirt.

Have you seen those dark sweat spots when someone raises his arms? Nasty.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I do not.

But, like you, nearly all of my coworkers do as well.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

No undershirt for me. The extra layer is just inconvenient and I don't tend to sweat all that much.

10. flirtkakat

flirtkakat Well-Known Member

Jokes aside, I was doing very hard physical labor for work not long ago, wearing 2 t's was the best combination of clothing I could fathom during that time. Besides, look at that guy. Such a flippin' player.

11. AxVxA

AxVxA Member

I used to wear a crew neck until my recent style education, now I wear a V neck.

Protects the shirt from body oils, especially the underarms...

12. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

In addition to the multiple reasons listed above, two words: "Batman Forever".

13. Freddiecool

Freddiecool New Member

If you wear a dress shirt but not an undershirt you should try wearing one. I never noticed other people's sweat patches until it dawned on me how much cleaner my own shirts looked once wearing an undershirt. Trouble is... People won't tell you but pit sweat isn't well regarded :)

14. katastrofa

katastrofa Well-Known Member

I'm with Clark Gable on this one.

15. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

+1 I wear very thin, light grey, merino wool undershirts from Icebreaker. They're not cheap, but are really top notch and work perfectly.

If more guys knew that light grey tshirts are far less visible under dress shirts than white tshirts are, more guys would ditch their white tshirts.

16. commonparlance

commonparlance New Member

Practically speaking, it of course all comes down to personal preference. If you feel comfortable or more confident wearing an undershirt, or think that it helps hide sweat, then by all means go for it. Personally, I find the notion that an undershirt is necessary in hot weather to be a fallacy; I lived in Southeast Asia for 2.5 years, and I found that when I wore an undershirt, not only would I would sweat much more than normal due to the extra layer of fabric, the sweat would then take longer to dry because it had saturated a layer of jersey material in addition to the quicker-drying cotton of my outer shirt. In terms of the visibility of the sweat from the outside, it seemed about the same either way--hence, no undershirt for me.

From a style/aesthetics standpoint, however, I don't think it's really debatable. If your undershirt is visible, that means you're either wearing an open-collar shirt with a crew neck T-shirt under it, or your shirt is so transparent that your undershirt is visible through it. Either way, you're doing something wrong. If you feel the need to wear an undershirt and you're not buttoning your top button, why not just go with a v-neck? And if your undershirt is visible THROUGH your shirt, then your shirt is too thin, plain and simple.

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Must be a lot of sweaty people in this threak?

Surprised the StyleforumRobot hasn't picked it as a headline best of SF showcase thread yet.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  18. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

Yellow pit stains are caused by antiperspirants with aluminum content - not sweat itself. Those stains never completely wash out on something like a white shirt. Companies like Speedstick now market a stainguard line of products specifically to address this.

19. applied

applied Member

I typically avoid undershirts due to the lines and the white showing through some shirts. Saw this on tumblr.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/892967586/mr-davis-the-worlds-best-undershirt

What do you guys think? I was thinking it be useful during days when the heat gets really bad. During winters, I think a jacket/overcoat would be more ideal.

It's pricy for a undershirt though. Has anyone ever worn bamboo?

20. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

^
    Cool - I'll bite if they just become available direct from a website without having to pledge the whole kickstarter thing and wait for it to get started. The off-white is a good idea - for me having dark skin, you can clearly see the outline of a white t-shirt underneath a white shirt if I take my jacket off.