1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you wear a pocket square?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suenarita, Dec 29, 2013.

1. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

For expressive pocket squares, aside from Etro, I highly recommend seeking out the British company Seaward & Stearn. They have beautiful color combinations and patterns. These are the ones when you can show a little more color and flair such as for parties, a wedding reception, travel. They have a nice assortment of changing designs in cotton, silk and wool blends.

But, get your basic colors and patterns first before starting to assemble a range of more colorful and graphic pocketsquares. The expressive ones are nice to have at the right time, but most often I grab one of five or so of my classic colors and patterns. Plus the classics tend to mix and match with more jackets and tie combos ...that is why they are classic.

1 person likes this.
  2. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Well-Known Member

Aren't two problems, one the socialpsychological of antipathy and power, the other an aesthetical, being mixed here too early to clear up the problem?

2. relationship between the individual and the group:

"that guy" who sticks out in a way that looks odd (I've never visited a lodge of Odd Fellows; German "gerade" means straight [even=eben] is used as everyday word for non-odd numbers)
    art/fashion/decor versus tech startup are groups in Sunny Land of the Free?

1. the (fundamental) aesthetic problem:
    patchwork quilt (expressive sockets, pocket squares, etc.) versus style.

Where a white linen pocket square evokes antipathy must be a domain of quite odd persons - the white linen pocket square must be experienced in normal daily feeling as ultimate conservative classic of purity and hygiene

Opposition between aesthetic tolerance and technological elitist pseudo-casual reveals the latter group (presumably in the free Golden State?) as entindividualised mechanical robots in human bodies?

why costume or clothing is - mobbing ?- problem where no representation or functional aspect is necessary? Sounds like adolescent identity?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Huh?

1 person likes this.
  4. Naive Jr.

Z

Dear Affiliate Vendor,
    because you pay the administration of this website for your advertising and thus enable costs be covered and you get the possibility to advertise here with your post, you are "an integral part of the community" maybe "getting sick and tired of not being able to find what I want in Australia" and earn some Golden Fleece, will improve, huh?

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Me being an affiliate has nothing to do with why I posted, lets get that clear.

Anyway.... I said "huh" simply put because ive followed this thread for sometime and I've not understood a single post youve posted in it. We're talking about pocket squares here, not philosophy or whatever it is your on about.

My opinion is that you've massively over thought this whole thing. Go buy some pocket squares, shove them in your pocket and decide if they are for you or not. Life's complicated enough without bringing pocket squares in to the equation.

4 people like this.
  6. Naive Jr.

Dear Jason of Terra Australis,

I'm sorry I derailed the thread and you've "not understood a single post..." axeinos pontus! Do hope you sell many socks - you've found that Golden beast and am impressed by your heroic cleverness how you get attention for your Fleece euxeinus pontus!

Your repentant Northern Hemisphere rowdy

7. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Well-Known Member

+1 Naive Jr. has wrecked this thread with his inane and unintelligible questions.

8. Naive Jr.

Dear gringodaddy,

Yours +1 the voice of the true spirit of this thread and I'm so relieved to know the thread is now in your hands! Our Father's adjutant and commander-in-chief of the lower half of this global network our mate Jason above has reported for duty to rescue the thread!

we all honor our +1 gringodaddy!

9. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

+1

Yep, this is just getting silly. Too bad, this could have been fun.

10. Naive Jr.

Don't get disgusted,, Gus, I know I'm a spoiler of all the fun you need, so I'll hit the road, and hopefully an orator of eloquence will declare the thread liberated and you, gringodaddy and Jason have your triumph and kicks for this Saturday night! Croak!

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Oh oh, my turn. What is my first name?

12. Naive Jr.

Rumpelstilzchen! Croak!

13. daDudeson

daDudeson Well-Known Member

Finally this is coming to an end, I was wondering how much longer it would go on in circles.

Many good answers have been provided by different people and yet it feels as if this thread is deliberately being made fun of… Not cool [​IMG]

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Such is life on the internet. Idiots like Naive Jr spring up everyday. That won't change. All that matters is that some of us enjoyed ourselves and got some value from it.

15. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

either way, i would like this thread to continue, there has been some good posting here,and honest conversation.

Yes, i wear a pocket square. do you?

pics?, and why THIS one?. i would love to know.... just sharing, no slamming. post your square. [​IMG]

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

17. daDudeson

daDudeson Well-Known Member

Edit: pocketsquareguy, just missed your comment. forgot to refresh before posting.

Getting this back on topic...

Tieless in the first picture. Perhaps the poof is a little large for some people's tastes. On the other hand who knows what it might have looked like throughout the day. Sometimes it slides down, other times it's a little more exposed. Perhaps because my coat might have pulled it out a little when doffing it.

Second square is a slightly more unusual fold (for me) that I was experimenting with for a while. For some reason I only like it with really thin fabrics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

while i respect your intentions,
    i disagree with your "this is the rules" Mantra, as some other threads suffer from it too. and i am skeptical on having a discussion with "affiliated vendors" as what they(or friends) are selling is "better", and your personal choice/ experimenting is wrong. i would rather stay here in the grass roots style of thread. - no offence intended.

this thread is a free thinking,entry- level discussion. (yes confident members can post) asking members if they wear a square? and if so, why this one?
    with pics, and narratives. -with no B.S.
    -allowing those who want to start with squares to experiment, use their imagination, and gain options, - not doctrine. from anyone who wants to share their ideas.

- Including net- sourced tutorials on making them yourself, learning the fabrics, and various ways to make use of color and/or texture.
    it is an entirely different mantra.

you are welcome to post pics, and tell us why you chose a particular one in partnership with other elements.

if you want to teach, participate in this method to illustrate your thoughts, viewers can emulate, or post their own concepts.

this thread is a sharing concepts thread. i wish to maintain the o.p's original question, and the threads name/purpose.

1 person likes this.
  19. Chopper88

Chopper88 Well-Known Member

Indeed, although I did respond to Naive Jr, I do hope the questions asked and info provided were or might be helpful to some. It just got to a point where I didn't even know what to respond anymore, and just thought "Let it go, this has nothing to do with pocket squares anymore..."

I don't feel that way, there's just one person who posts somewhat awkward responses who puzzle everyone.
    I also think those answers could be helpful, especially to people who don't want to read through the entire existing PS thread when new here.

For the above mentioned reason, I'm also in favour of keeping this thread. I feel the existing thread doesn't really provide a place to comment about why people do or don't wear a PS, and what they've based their decisions on. I feel it's become more of a PS fans meeting place, with the odd question now and then.

20. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

If you think I am promoting rules, you have misread my posts. I promote suggestions based upon my personal experience. I also warn guys of things based upon my own previous mistakes. There are some things that just don't work. i.e, wearing spring and summer colored pocket squares with winter clothing or certain color combinations. Sorry, but everything doesn't go with anything. There are some things that just don't look right. If you want to wear anything, go ahead. But most of us are looking to share hints on refining our overall look. And that requires some editing and choices to determine what works and what doesn't.

By the way, if you want to express an opinion in the other thread regarding the look or quality of any brand or affilates pocket squares. Go ahead. A healthy discussion is welcome. There is a bit too much of a heard mentality where guys are buying based upon the brand name and not how a pocket square actually looks. So other points of view are encouraged.

Anyway, no further post in this thread for me. All other PS post will be in the other thread.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014