• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear a pocket square?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

your assesment is correct. but my budget is small, this is the first year of business. so appearance is vital to self representation.
the comic book square cost me $3.50 usd.  you can make your own too.

hopefully this helps...
http://eightinhand.tumblr.com/post/8071560142/how-to-hand-sew-a-pocket-square-with-rolled-edges

good luck.
38R

Dear Craftsman 38R,

Thanks very much for your friendly response and well meant instructions for do it yourself pocket square manufacture. Unfortunately, I am already overwhelmed by mental work of clarifying what my elitist professors and their instrumentalised students of a feather don't want to clarify, so in this lifetime I won't be able to develop other enforcement of theory in practice, as you do versatilely.

Self representation is also an expression found in psychology and philosophy.

Tomorrow is Epiphany, the three wise men were astrologers!

Clarity and energy to you!

Last edited:

PinkestFlamingo

Reaction score
I subscribe to Hardy Amies' view that a handkerchief should be arranged "in such a way that it gives the appearance of being there for use and not decoration". Pocket squares are a trend on the downward slope at the moment and for that reason look too affected, in my view. (I acknowledge that the pocket square is, however, very practical for use as well as decoration; but it is also a fashion victim right now.)

That being said, even though I bung mine in place in a matter of seconds I have on a couple of occasions had people that it "must have taken me ages". Hmmm.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
NDear Pinkest Flamingo,
Cédric Villani wears a broach which resembles a spider.

Hasn't the Hardies Amies ERROR! Harvey Nichols has been assimilated by duchamp?

Your criticism is not evident. Pocket square in itself must be differentiated from the ugly pocket square and from ugly use of the pocket square.

Where is pocket square on a downward slope and why? in Buckingham Palace I see no indication to support you view? On Savile Row? Why does Huntsman sell pocket squares? On Jermyn Street? Why do New & Lingwood sell pocket squares? Budd still uses the expression Blow or show. Is Hardy Amies' view incoherent - You must mean here on Style Forum pocket squares are dusky, but you subscribe to diplomatic language.

The border between decoration and use is unclear and you offer no examples.
Of course, decoration can be viewed as affectation.
ERROR! DISTINCTION BETWEEN DECORATION AND ORNAMENTATION UNCLEAR!
You contradict Amies yourself in a later sentence - I'm afraid your text is too cryptic for me to decipher unless you state your own position more clearly, and I don't think it quite fair to use Amies without supplying the context. For example, does Hardy Amies assume bespoke?

Who wants to be on a downward slope as fashion victim? Mercy!

Last edited:

Ropavejero

Reaction score
I like all kinds of pocket squares. First I collected solid colored one so as to have every color and shade in the rainbow, and then began branching out with patterned ones. In fact have an orange and gold one spotted with navy blue, quite similar to the one displayed by YRR92.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I like all kinds of pocket squares. First I collected solid colored one so as to have every color and shade in the rainbow, and then began branching out with patterned ones. In fact have an orange and gold one spotted with navy blue, quite similar to the one displayed
by YRR92.

I'm afraid you are on a downward slope and fashion victim. I don't know what it means, but it sounds like trouble. Your method of collection sounds as if you are a Pantone purist of greatest patience and of enormous wealth. I thought I could spice up my jacket vest pocket with color and birds, since my waistcoats are floral and I don't wear ties.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Naive Jr. I bought the square at a J. Press sample sale, so I don't know if it would be too easy to track down.

Last edited:

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Thanks, Naive Jr. I bought the square at a J. Press sample sale, so I don't know if it would be too easy to track down.

Dear Mr YRR92,

You are welcome, and I thought upon first inspection of your post that the rich red and gold, the intricate knotwork of your pocket square fits the words you quoted by Yve Saint Laurent - classic, ... discipline. But I'm not the person of experience ropoavejoro is - you got his endorsement or blessing, and that counts because he lives daily with pocket squares, whereas in my part of the woods they are rare, and until now, my only contact is online. I hope to buy two, and not make the mistake I make with everything when I start.

bings

Reaction score
if i'm wearing a sport jacket / suit then yes... always... but never before SF :)

I am usually on business when wearing jackets so i fold them square... the ability to foo foo them up depends on the number of dandies in attendance and in my circles there are too few to foo foo

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That being said, even though I bung mine in place in a matter of seconds I have on a couple of occasions had people that it "must have taken me ages". Hmmm.

Probably the same people who think that putting on flannel trousers takes way more effort than putting on jeans. Some people just don't get that a few extra minutes in the morning can make a big difference in how you look.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably the same people who think that putting on flannel trousers takes way more effort than putting on jeans. Some people just don't get that a few extra minutes in the morning can make a big difference in how you look.
If the flannels are ready to go, which requires a larger wardrobe and more frequent dry cleaning/pressing. Jeans? You throw 'em in the wash, you pull them out, you put them on. It really is easier to wear jeans than to wear flannels, especially if your day requires physical work.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the flannels are ready to go, which requires a larger wardrobe and more frequent dry cleaning/pressing. Jeans? You throw 'em in the wash, you pull them out, you put them on. It really is easier to wear jeans than to wear flannels, especially if your day requires physical work.

Nobody is debating that jeans may be a better choice for manual labor, but the idea that they are much easier to wear is crazy. Pretty much every pair of pants I put on goes on the same way and it does not take more time to put on a pair of flannels than a pair of jeans. As for pressing and cleaning, it is really not that much more labor intensive than doing regular laundry. Trousers that fit well don't exactly need to be cleaned / pressed after every wearing.

If you really want to get in a debate about the merits of pants that are dry cleaned vs. thrown in a washing machine, replace flannels with khakis. It won't alter the main point which is that dressing nicely really does not require that much additional effort. No doubt there are people who spend an hour getting ready in the morning, but it's definitely not necessary to look nice. Realistically wearing a jacket and tie probably takes 5 minutes more in the morning than wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

only one button.
facepalm.gif

and tried claghorn's "flower method" . works fine. square is burberry.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Dear Mr YRR92,

Thanks for your warning, at this time of sale the temptation is great and my eyes are on duchamp, T&A is not on sale. Duchamp offers two sizes which confuses me, Turnball & Asser has many colors but normal price beyond my reach.

(The dispute about topic you have with a poster from the city whose motto is "I will"
1f46e.png
In Chitown you can only slide down hill from the North Side to the beach - that means they don't have to expend energy walking up and down hills, but they don't build any muscles.
1f46b.png
Rockefeller's money bought the name of the city for that elite gated compound in Hyde Pk.)

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To bring up my post before, I tried it with an outfit. I think it works well, I mean I guess each to their own, and maybe I'll decide it's dumb later, but I kind of like it.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dear Individuality by means of Isolation

Your experimentation I support, that's no foo foo, so no conflict to think about, and my prosaic layman's objection muted by PinkestFlamingo's inflammatory birdsong in the name of
261d.png
Hardy Amies, so theoretically.this bunging ain't decoratively downhill.

May your striving to heavenly rapport be seen! QED no individuality without isolation first.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads