1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you use MSG?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

^^^ Imagine the horror on Chinese people's faces when they learn that the Chinese food they've been worshiping is actually packed full of an additive developed by the small Japanese devils.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I had a chinese cook book from the 50's and they talked about "gourmet powder"

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I hope you realize that MSG is in many ways just a form of salt. When you eat extremely salty things, you're going to get thirsty. The negative perception of MSG in this country is nothing more than a reflection of the West's ignorance/xenophobia towards things Asian. I also hope you realize that the Japanese food that white people have put on a pedestal are chalk-full of MSG, as MSG was invented by Dr. Kikunae Ikeda of Japan. Imagine the horror on white people's faces when they learn that the Japanese food they've been worshiping is actually packed full of MSG.
    What you mean roundeye? Me no speaky tee engrish so not unnerstand.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My gf's mom has been a test chef at this company for many years, so we end up with tons of Ajinomoto castoff freebies at my house all the time. They make Hon dashi, they have Knorr licensed in Japan and so they make a lot of soups and buillon cubes, a lot of instant Chinese and pasta sauces, the straight MSG in a shaker, they are in the business of MSG and they make a shit ton of stuff. We can't bring ourselves to eat the stuff though, and neither does the mom. She still shaves fish blocks for making dashi.

5. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

there is only one easy way to UMAMI and thats MSG.

as a sidenote, I find it ludicrous ajinomoto implies in their marketing campaign they're the source of umami.

^^^ Imagine the horror on Chinese people's faces when they learn that the Chinese food they've been worshiping is actually packed full of an additive developed by the small Japanese devils.

and I couldn't imagine how it found its way to chinese shores, given it came from japan

What you mean roundeye? Me no speaky tee engrish so not unnerstand.

why you hate us olientars? [​IMG]

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

why you hate us olientars? [​IMG]

What do I get for ten dollars?

7. acidboy

now you talking my flen.

8. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Both of you are awful.

9. SField

SField Well-Known Member

he ruv you RONG TIME!!

10. socialdtk

socialdtk Well-Known Member

Yup, MSG is a great flavour enhancer and perfectly safe. Health risks associated with MSG is unsubstantiated and pretty much started by one guy who had a headache after eating Chinese food 30 years ago.

A lot of anti-MSG people actually consume MSG without knowing as companies use different terms now for it because of the negative perception. MSG is just about the safest additive you can put in your food and occur naturally in high quantities in seafood and cheeses and good old Vegemite.

I'm highly allergic to MSG and the misdirection of food manufactures has made my allergy very difficult to deal with. Within seconds of consuming MSG my mouth begins to swell and develop blisters. A few minutes later a migraine sets in and any amount of light becomes unbearable. These symptoms last for around 3 days and slowly start to fade afterwards. This means that if I accidently consume MSG, I'm unable to work and tend to other responsibilities for at least three days.

Over the years I've compiled a list of nearly 50 names that food companies use for MSG. The moment I learn that a company uses MSG in any of their products I avoid purchasing anything they produce. Shopping isn't easy and is for the most part limited to cooking all meals using basic ingredients.

With that being said, recently I began having reactions to some fruits purchased from major retail chains such as Wal-Mart, Food-Lion, and Bi-Lo. After researching the cause of these reactions I found that MSG is being used as a preservative that is sprayed upon the fruit after being picked.

11. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

is msg the same thing as, or similar to "accents?" i was going through my gf's grandmothers recipes and this term kept appearing. i imagined she just meant herbs/aromatics, but her mother thought it described something similar to msg.

Accent is the brand name of the most readily available MSG in America. You can find it in almost any supermarket.

12. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Accent is the brand name of the most readily available MSG in America. You can find it in almost any supermarket.

mystery solved. thanks!

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

sorry about your condition. that sucks.

but have you tasted the UMAMI before the symptoms kick in?

I'm highly allergic to MSG and the misdirection of food manufactures has made my allergy very difficult to deal with. Within seconds of consuming MSG my mouth begins to swell and develop blisters. A few minutes later a migraine sets in and any amount of light becomes unbearable. These symptoms last for around 3 days and slowly start to fade afterwards. This means that if I accidently consume MSG, I'm unable to work and tend to other responsibilities for at least three days.

Over the years I've compiled a list of nearly 50 names that food companies use for MSG. The moment I learn that a company uses MSG in any of their products I avoid purchasing anything they produce. Shopping isn't easy and is for the most part limited to cooking all meals using basic ingredients.

With that being said, recently I began having reactions to some fruits purchased from major retail chains such as Wal-Mart, Food-Lion, and Bi-Lo. After researching the cause of these reactions I found that MSG is being used as a preservative that is sprayed upon the fruit after being picked.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

only time i consume msg is when i unknowingly consume it in some chinese food or something.

other than that, i dont have it in the kitchen. that stuff gives me a big pounding headache.

15. fleet on feet

fleet on feet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

But seriously, when I cook I do not use MSG. I've never seen the need, and I can't say im educated on it but most of what I've heard about MSG is not good.

16. NMW1982

NMW1982 Well-Known Member

I dunno, your wife? [​IMG]

17. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Now that really sucks for you. [​IMG]

18. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

I'm going to start using it after reading this thread. Do you add it just like salt?

19. acidboy

I'm going to start using it after reading this thread. Do you add it just like salt?

use it sparingly first.

20. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

are there certain flavours is goes better with? like beef?

most of the symptoms i attribute to MSG can probably just be attributed to overly salty food now that i think about it (dry mouth etc)