1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you remove your jacket when you get to your desk?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gladhands, Feb 20, 2012.

Do you remove your jacket when you get to your desk?

1. I wear my jacket all day

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. I don't wear it at my desk, but when I get up, I put it back on

34 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. I don't want to get it wrinkled

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. I find them restrictive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

I've never understood the point of wearing a jacket TO work, but not wearing it AT work

2. Anden

Anden Well-Known Member

It depends. If I have a really tight jacket or one in a more sensetive material I will take it of when at the desk. Most times I have it on all day.

A

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Always take it off and hang it up in the office. I do it to be comfortable and keep it from wrinkling. Also notice that everyone else in the office seems to do the same thing.

4. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

i was thinking about today....i always take my sportcoat off when i get settled in and sit down. However, I read that you shoudl always keep your waist covered...(in some thread here) which i dont agree with 100% of the time...but i figure id look much more presentable when having my coat on. so i kept mine on today. and made it about 2 hours. its absolutely fucking roasting in here. Ill put it on when i make my rounds and leave it off when im sitting. eff the "rules."

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I generally leave it on all day, but I'm rarely sitting in one place for long periods of time.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Looking back on an average day, I guess I leave it on the vast majority of the time. Of course, if it's very hot or whatever, it would come off. But generally, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to take it off, so I don't find myself doing so. I suspect it's more habit than anything. I do take it off when driving, unless it's cold enough for me to be wearing an overcoat on time.

7. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Almost always take it off and hang it up when sitting at the desk. If I'm leaving the office for whatever reason, I put it on.

8. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

You omitted to cater for those that leave it off all day in your poll.

9. landshark

landshark Well-Known Member

I have a unique situation here in Texas.

In the winter, I wear it on my walk to work, and whenever I plan to leave the building. However, after a 20-30 minute commute, even in cooler weather, I am usually pretty warm and will need to take it off for a little while. This is then coupled with the fact that my building is kept noticeably warmer than it is outside and it's not ideal for wearing a coat.

Compared to summer, where it's hotter than hell outside, I can't wear my jacket on my way to work. But of course, in the summer time the building is kept at much cooler temperatures to deal with the heat, and I wouldn't function comfortably without a jacket indoors. This cooler temperature does allow me to wear a jacket outside for short trips (e.g. the bank, lunch, meetings, etc.) without getting hot.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Most days it's on all day because of nonstop meetings and such. However, there are days like today when I don't have a meeting for several hours, so my jacket is off as I work at my desk.

11. xpress

xpress Well-Known Member

I remove mine. Always.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but I would like to hear from the learned members about pants.

13. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Few of us remove them I imagine.

14. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Well-Known Member

I rarely wear jackets to work, but when I do this is my situation. In the winter, they keep the building very warm making it impossible to wear a jacket all day. However, in the summer, they crank the A/C which makes living without a jacket almost impossible.

15. TexasDan

TexasDan Well-Known Member

I take off my jacket when I arrive and hang it in my office. I put on the jacket if I leave the office and will put it on for a meeting with clients or other third parties, but not my coworkers.

16. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Everybody in my office that wears a jacket takes it off before sitting at their desk. This goes for the top to the bottom (although the more junior staff rarely wears jackets, or ties).

This has always been the case in architectural offices. As 'back in the day' we all had drafting boards and drew all day long - even shirt cuffs were often rolled up and ties often tucked into shirts to keep them from dragging across the drawings and thus spoiling both the tie and the drawing. REAL old timers wore aprons in the drafting rooms. Of course these days most drawing is done via electronic means - but the tradition of removing one's jacket while in the office remains strong.

Jackets are, of course, donned for meetings and client visits. But as 95% of our client base is overseas we go to them far more often than they come to us.

The only time I wear my jacket in the office is for our weekly Sr. management meeting - and I'm the only one who does so.

17. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Trousers are only allowed if cuffed above the knee. Black over the calf socks, garters, and black shoes are required at all times.

Admitedly it's a certain 'look' that we strive to achieve - but it does indeed get us noticed.

18. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Well-Known Member

+1

19. recondite

recondite Well-Known Member

Sweet!

Breeches are back!!!

I only wear trousers at my desk when meeting with clients or associates.

When working alone or meeting with a paramour, everything is neatly hung behind the door, except socks which fly wherever. And no, working alone is not an euphemism for anything other than commissioned labor.