1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you non-Ivy Leaguers feel inadequate?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Almost got tenure!"

2. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

That makes a lot more sense. Anyways, I say let Harvard have its football and academics. Yale will always be first in gentlemanly club life.

Jon.

I had no idea that people's idea of the Ivy League is as distorted and as wishful as people's idea of England on the Ask Andy forum.
    [Otto]
    Apart from mafoofran, only losers go to Brown. Not as bad as Berkeley, though.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

This forum is obviously overpopulated by college and post-college people. After a couple of years, nobody gives a shit where you went to college, even you.
    Exactly. My degrees now sit all alone and dusty in the bottom of a box in my mother's basement, next to the college thesis I thought would win me a Nobel Prize and the copy of that novel I wrote at 19 that I was convinced would win both a National Book Award and a Pulitzer and that is so hilariously bad I don't even have the heart to read it again myself.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I had no idea that people's idea of the Ivy League is as distorted and as wishful as people's idea of England on the Ask Andy forum.

I was quoting the Simpson's.

Jon.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

We must not move in the same circles.

Well, to be fair, I'm not saying it happens all the time. I've witnessed it at both of the law firms I've worked at, law school, and at Harvard. At least Princeton people know to keep their snobbery more subtle. At Brown, we're nothing but class.

Ive seen this happen before as well.hahah

Yep. I don't get it. Everyone knows Harvard kicks ass. The mystique is diluted by the bragging.

[​IMG]

"Almost got tenure!"

Almost, Manton, but not quite. That should be more than indicative of Brown's selectivity.

Apart from mafoofran, only losers go to Brown. Not as bad as Berkeley, though.

If by losers you mean hippies, I have to somewhat disagree. No one at Brown is actually a hippy or remotely bohemian. The school is riddled by more Long Island kids in North Face fleeces and Burberry scarves than anything else. Only the really rich kids get all granola, and only until they graduate.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

This forum is obviously overpopulated by college and post-college people. After a couple of years, nobody gives a shit where you went to college, even you.

+1.

7. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

8. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

If by losers you mean hippies, I have to somewhat disagree. No one at Brown is actually a hippy or remotely bohemian. The school is riddled by more Long Island kids in North Face fleeces and Burberry scarves than anything else. Only the really rich kids get all granola, and only until they graduate.
    Why should loser = hippy? You're betraying your U. Chicago side. Tch tch tch...

9. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

10. mafoofan

Why should loser = hippy?

I'm confused. I thought they were synonymous.

You're betraying your Chicago side. Tch tch tch...

I know, I know. Repressing the Brown in me is a real problem. Inevitably, the tide will force the gates open. I'll want to talk about feelings and begin attaching the prefix 'meta' to everything I say. No one will understand me and I'll blame it on their blinding adherence to the patriarchy and Starbucks coffee. Then I'll weep.

I should plant a tree every now and then to keep things under control.

11. nate10184

nate10184 Well-Known Member

Having gone to a non-ivy thats usually ranked above many of the ivys I would say there's definitely a "Harvard, Princeton, Yale" bias, beyond that not so much.

12. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Repressing the Brown in me is a real problem.
    Maybe you need more fibre in your diet. Or are you talking about serving time in prison?

13. mafoofan

Maybe you need more fibre in your diet. Or are you talking about serving time in prison?

Let me clarify: (1) Brown is all about eating more fiber, so long as it comes from a sustainable crop, and (2) Brown is also all about going to prison, because criminals are victims of the confluent forces that shape them (unless the criminal is wealthy or white).

14. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

He is a recent graduate of the University of Virginia, a school far from mediocre (to say the least). We got to talking about college and he mentioned that a fair number of his classmates . . . and that they've developed a pretty serious inferiority complex.

I also went to a 'Public Ivy' and have developed an inferiority complex. Maybe he read too much southern literature and Faulkner while at UVA?

[​IMG]

15. Brad

Brad Well-Known Member

That's funny. I hadn't laughed that hard in a while.

16. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

probably depends on what field you're in and if you're talking about undergrad/grad school.

in my first job i worked with a bunch of people from mit and cornell and we were all in the same boat. so in that case, no it didn't matter.

where it does probably does matter is what kind of doors it initially opens for you. i'm sure equal gpa and major someone would be more inclined to give an interview to a yale graduated as opposed to some local state school. but, once you're in it's all about personal performance.

I think the whole "Does the Ivy League really matter?" question is settled (it doesn't) but how do you feel about it?

17. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

If you feel inadequate, it must be for much more significant reasons than the f**king college you attended. Grow some ba**s and take charge. Or, are you just going to go through life acting like some kind of silly academic victim???

18. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Can I nominate this for the dumb threads forum? We need some diversity in there anyway. They get boring.

19. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

That's funny. I hadn't laughed that hard in a while.
    "If it's Brown flush it down!" -- Cornell saying.

20. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

As a Balliol man and a Greatsman, it's hard for me to feel "inadequate" to compared to anyone as far as formal education goes. However, I hold formal education in considerable disdain.

Compared to a good plumber, who can do useful stuff like clear clogged pipes and probably makes about three or four times as much money as I do, I feel very inadequate.