1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you make money doing the thing you love?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by gladhands, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Yooxaddict73

Yooxaddict73 Well-Known Member

No one paid me for sex yet ,so No.

2. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

No one paid me for sex yet ,so No.

I was waiting for this reply [​IMG]

3. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

Short answer: NO!

I like my work very much but it's far from being my "passion". Which is fine with me, by the way. I truly enjoy having a work life that is separate from my interests and hobbies outside of work. I think it's good to have that type of separation.

4. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

Yes. Not as my primary income, that would be my student loans and scholarships, but as a secondary income. I'm a coach at the local yacht club, teaching kids how to sail, and I love seeing their progress and how they evolve during a season. So yes, I do make money doing something that I love.

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I most definitely don't love what I do for a living. I'm going to back to school to finish my PhD next year and I wouldn't stay at my current job for 5 times what I make now!

6. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Currently, no. My biggest fear is investing years into something I end up hating. My 2nd biggest is what I'm doing now: drifting aimlessly. Finished University, and I have the grades for pretty much anything. I have no desire to do med-school, and the same goes for law. (SF makes it sound like a horrible place to end up anyway haha). I've been thinking about doing Business School in a few years... I'm less interested in business, but I like the concept of actually having a skill set that will let me go where I want.... unlike my current social science degree.

Those of you who managed this work/love combination... I'm entirely jealous. Was it lucky happenstance? Or did you know what you loved... and made a career from it?

Grades to do pretty much anything, with a degree in social science? lol.

7. sofaking9000

sofaking9000 Well-Known Member

Currently, no. My biggest fear is investing years into something I end up hating. My 2nd biggest is what I'm doing now: drifting aimlessly. Finished University, and I have the grades for pretty much anything. I have no desire to do med-school, and the same goes for law. (SF makes it sound like a horrible place to end up anyway haha). I've been thinking about doing Business School in a few years... I'm less interested in business, but I like the concept of actually having a skill set that will let me go where I want.... unlike my current social science degree.

Those of you who managed this work/love combination... I'm entirely jealous. Was it lucky happenstance? Or did you know what you loved... and made a career from it?

How does one go to med school with a social science degree?
    Did you complete all the Mcat pre-reqs?

8. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

How does one go to med school with a social science degree?
    Did you complete all the Mcat pre-reqs?

My mother got an MD after taking a history degree. A few summer courses at Harvard filled in the requirements that she didn't have.

Other people do post-bac years at places like Bryn Mawr College.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

No, I make money doing something I seem to be relatively good at. I like my job but I would be lying if I said I'm doing what I love.

10. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

No, I make money doing something I seem to be relatively good at. I like my job but I would be lying if I said I'm doing what I love.
    Same here. The issue for me is that what I love doing doesn't pay very well at all. And, I love doing many things, but none are the sort of thing that provides a stable flow of lucre.

11. Lord-Barrington

Same here. The issue for me is that what I love doing doesn't pay very well at all. And, I love doing many things, but none are the sort of thing that provides a stable flow of lucre.

Same here. I love film, ice hockey, travelling, the arts, food, etc.

Anything in there pay well (aside from hockey which, unfortunately, I'm not talented enough to play professionally)?

12. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Sort of. I'm in the right field/industry, but my actual position isn't the most thrilling.

13. Lord-Barrington

Sort of. I'm in the right field/industry, but my actual position isn't the most thrilling.

Let me guess:

Industry: Adult entertainment
    Position: Fluffer

14. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Gotta start somewhere. [​IMG]

15. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Well-Known Member

Don't like what I do, but it pays well enough that I have plenty of F/O time.

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

There are very few professionals whose jobs I'm envious of, but tennis pros at filthy rich country clubs in the suburbs of Philadelphia would be one of them.

17. christinedaae

christinedaae Well-Known Member

I do now. Everyday is a weekday to me now, seriously I could care less what day it is. But to get to the point, I had to do something for about almost a decade that I would cry sometimes I hated it so much. But sometimes you just have to do what has to be done to get where you want to get.

18. skywalker

skywalker Well-Known Member

I sell industrial dumpsters. what do you think?!?! haha

on a related note, my father has been "working for the man" for the past 25 years. He was a full time musician and a few years after i was born he got a day job and quit playing full time. Well, last week he quit his office job to take a contract playing music full time. more money, half the hours, and he's finally doing what he was born to do. needless to say im prud of the feller. A career change at 50 years old.

what a profession.

19. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I sell industrial dumpsters. what do you think?!?! haha

what I sell isn't much more exciting, in terms of a product. I love my work because of the intellectual challenges - B2B selling of big ticket items is like a complex chess game with large amounts of money involved, in my case, you throw in the international aspect and it becomes even more challenging.

20. wootx

wootx Well-Known Member

I've purposely chosen a field I have no interest in, fearing I wouldn't have liked what I used to love anymore oncedoing it for a living. Will see how it turns out.