1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you like cutaway collars?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DocHolliday, Jan 19, 2010.

1. yfyf

yfyf Well-Known Member

On a more serious note, I wear cutaway and non cutaway with my ties, don't prefer one over the other, both look nice.

Without a tie though, I do like the look of cutaway worn open. Because the collar points are much shorter, it doesn't curl nearly as much either.

2. HKTenor

HKTenor Well-Known Member

For me cutaway (vs spread) starts at option B, which I like a lot. Option C to me is also OK. D and everything after are grounds for anathema.

3. CashmereLover

CashmereLover Well-Known Member

B and C are my favorites.

Exhibit B
    [​IMG]

Exhibit C
    [​IMG]

4. columbia92

columbia92 Well-Known Member

I go for sometimes yes and other times no.....

5. coltboy75

coltboy75 Well-Known Member

It seems that there is a loose definition of cut away. That being said, I favor a medium spread collar. I do not like to see the collar band on either side of the tie's knot.

6. manofstyle

manofstyle Well-Known Member

The cutaway collar is the most elegant style when done properly. The horrible extreme ones are churned out by the Italians and Americans.

[​IMG]

7. korektphool

korektphool Well-Known Member

I love extreme cutaway collars. I've got a couple of shirts which have collars 190-200 degrees when folded, and I reckon I look my best in them (with 4ih tie and suit). I'm planning to get some more made up with more extreme collars, maybe 220 degrees.

8. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

Love 'em. I hate seeing the collar points on my shirt.

9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

10. manofstyle

manofstyle Well-Known Member

BTW it's nonsense to say cutaway collars look bad without a tie. If anything, long point collars look awful flopping out over the top of a jersey.

11. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

This is what I had in mind for my Yes vote:

[​IMG]

12. andas

andas Well-Known Member

(moderately) Cutaway fan here.

13. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Well-Known Member

This is what I had in mind for my Yes vote: [​IMG]
    Beautiful yet certainly noticeable...maybe more noticeable than some SFers would like
    The cutaway collar is the most elegant style when done properly. The horrible extreme ones are churned out by the Italians and Americans. [​IMG]
    +1. This is exactly right. Compare the RLPL Keaton (monstrosity) to this. This collar is closest to Exhibit B, I think.

14. knittieguy

knittieguy Well-Known Member

Exhibit A
    [​IMG]

Exhibit B
    [​IMG]

Exhibit C
    [​IMG]

Exhibit D
    [​IMG]

Exhibit E
    [​IMG]

Exhibit A is really the class of the lot here, but I wouldn't consider it a cutaway.

It's interesting that everyone is slamming the extreme cutaways in D and E (a la Keaton collar) because a a year or two ago everyone was all gaga over them. I don't have any of those, and they are kind of an affected look, I but don't have a problem with them in the right situation.

15. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Exhibit A is really the class of the lot here, but I wouldn't consider it a cutaway. It's interesting that everyone is slamming the extreme cutaways in D and E (a la Keaton collar) because a a year or two ago everyone was all gaga over them. I don't have any of those, and they are kind of an affected look, I but don't have a problem with them in the right situation.
    Slamming? Have you looked at the vote? It seems if they were gaga over them last year, this year they're Lady GaGa over them.

16. knittieguy

knittieguy Well-Known Member

They are slamming them in the thread. The vote may be for cutaway collars in general as opposed to specifically the D and E Keaton-style collars.

But you have a point. As someone else noted, there is a strange disparity between the voting and the thread comments.

17. Aaron01

Aaron01 Well-Known Member

This is what I had in mind for my Yes vote:

[​IMG]

That's a nice collar

18. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

I don't hate them, actually I think they look just fine on the right person and with teh right tie but for me personally they would not work to well.

19. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Well-Known Member

Keaton collar has an "aristocratic" look, at least to many Americans, which is considered a good thing by some, but really it is just costume...looks like something you'd find in the film Gosford Park.

20. joshman

joshman Well-Known Member

The cutaway collar is the most elegant style when done properly. The horrible extreme ones are churned out by the Italians and Americans.

[​IMG]

+1.
    However having said that, I understand Udeshi is London based.