1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you have an annual budget on clothing spending?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mussel

mussel Well-Known Member

I really don't see the need to buy 50 shirts per year regardless of income level. Â Assume you wear shirt 5 times a week 50 weeks a year, that means you wear each shirt only 5 times or $30/wear.

2. Jill

Jill Well-Known Member

In Ray's defense, he didn't say that he bought 50 shirts EVERY year.  And he will likely wear them for more than just one year.  Plus, they may not all be dress shirts.  As such, it's highly possible that he wears MORE than one per day.  I know many days I'll wear one outfit to work, change when I get home, then put on something else to go out on the town.  Granted, I'm a chick, but I think that's another reasonable explanation.

So while that is a lot of shirts, that math is a little extreme.  If RayK wears shirts everyday (including weekends.. Most people do), and changes shirts only once per day, then he would be wearing over 700 shirts/yr.  That's over 14 wearings/shirt.

Finally, maybe he a) doesn't have grandchildren or b) already has their financial futures secured.

As for me, I don't have a clothing budget, but I don't have any budget left for clothing anyway after Chuck spends it all on his.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

My main rule is that I spend on clothes only when (1) I objectively need an item of clothing, or (2) when I come into "found" money such as Ebay profits, birthday gifts, or bonuses at work.

I opted to basically rebuild my entire wardrobe after I graduated from school (for a combination of reasons: appreciating and understanding quality more than I previously had; because of my new job; and because I had essentially not purchased any clothes during school and so had a closet full of really old, casual clothes). This cost some money up front, of course.

At this point, my purchases have become pretty few and far between, and all at very bargain basement prices (for example, I picked up a Golden Fleece suit for $375 two weeks ago -- seemed like an eminently reasonable purchase considering it needs very little tailoring). I foresee myself buying 2 suits, 10 dress shirts, 5 ties, and 1 -2 pairs of dress shoes for each succeeding 5 years. I'll probably buy 2 - 3 sweaters, and 3 casual shirts, and 2 - 3 odd pants a year. Given that I buy at extreme discounts only, I can't see these purchases costing any more than $4K a year. I consider that pretty reasonable.

I just don't see the need to purchase any more than that. Once you have a 10 - 12 suit rotation that mixes in year-round and seasonal suits, and maybe 15 dress shirts or so, any further purchases are pure gravy. I'm so easy on my clothes that I rarely wear things out quickly.

4. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

Spend till I have no more, but, not into debt....simple, I never spend for I have no money.

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

I knew it would happen sooner or later [​IMG]

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I have no set budget or guidelines, as I find clothes shopping to involve emotion more than reason, want more than need. Â Clothes and dining out are my two largest discretionary expenditures per month, so when I increase one, I decrease the other. Â Or that's how it's supposed to work in theory. Â [​IMG]

7. newyorker

newyorker Well-Known Member

Ditto, although they are insignificant compared to my rent. My last purchase is a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo loafers. Probably not worth the asking price, but at least I wear it every other weekday. [​IMG] http://ferragamo.neimanmarcus.com/store....&cmCat= My other business shoe looks remarkably similar to this Tramezza model; in fact, I think my shoe looks better..... [​IMG] http://ferragamo.neimanmarcus.com/store....&cmCat= The Ferragamo store had a brown version (hand burnished) which was a thing of indescribable beauty.

8. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

No budget yet, but need one because of my somewhat limited income. Right now, I'm spending my bonus, mainly on shoes.

newyorker, I fell in love with a brown Tramezza model very close to that medallion captoe you show and bought both a bal and a monkstrap, at the Ferragamo outlet in Cabazon (both available on ebay for essentially the same price I paid, but I got to try on). The monkstrap is the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned (and the first monkstrap I've ever worn) so I'm looking for more. Now, how long will that bonus check last?

9. newyorker

newyorker Well-Known Member

A pity the Tramezza was not sold in the outlet. The loafer I bought was over $400 after taxes, so in hindsight, I should have paid the $600+ for the Tramezza ... but on the other hand I already had a black one that looked very similar (and arguably better) than the Ferragamo one. The quality probably isn't as good, but the shoe is very well finished ... a bit of a mystery since it was a no-name shoe "Andre Valentino". I picked up the shoe purely by visual inspection and paid $40 for it.

10. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

newyorker, I think you made a wise choice. Now you have some diversity in your shoe wardrobe (And if you decide you want medallion captoe Tramezzas after all, search ebay for "tramezza" right now (bals, not bluchers)). I'm now considering Alden's shell cordovan monkstrap, but hesitate because I also need other styles...wingtips, replacement bluchers, etc. On the other hand, I've decided to buy more monkstraps instead of loafers because the monkstraps don't slip at the heel when I walk. They're great. To stay on thread...I'm budgeting out loud.

11. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

Johnny,
    I think your approach to clothing appeals to me the most for the longterm. I'll probably need to budget closer to $5-6k/annum to account for my diminutive size and bug for fine timepieces. The replacement theory does sound quite wonderful though...

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Well, I have told my wife that I insist on two runs to the Allen-Edmonds outlet store at sale time (February and September) and ordering two custom-tailored garments from W.W. Chan per annum. This would come to somewhere between $2,000 and $2,500 per annum. Neckties, sportswear, etc. would add a few hundred more to the total. In total, clothing would amount to somewhere around four to five percent of my annual income. I spend a fair amount on books and keeping my Jeep running. Most of the rest goes to necessities--food, mortgage, taxes and what my wife and her son can pillage from me. [​IMG]