1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a 'signature-item'?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jerome, May 30, 2011.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Also there is something very agreeable about a gentleman with an umbrella or a walking stick.

+1

I often go out with my walking stick size umbrella. Sometimes I use my black, silver handled walking stick, though not so much lately.

2. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

I agree on all counts. I don't dislike it as a sweeping rule, I just prefer it done well on other people than on me. Maybe, as you say, I have yet to find great acetate ones that sway me. Of course I think acetate is very nice on sunglass styles. I have sunglasses in this fashion and find them fine, but I wouldn't want the same on my face. I tend to use color more than most and consequently like to play down ornamentation on my face. Also, I prefer the way light (say something platinum colored) metal has a clarifying and brightening effect on the face than does a darker acetate frame. Of course I'm suspectible to being swayed and open to experiment. That's why I asked -- there is something appealing about your C&G frames that doesn't invoke the usual revulsion I get from stuff that's in fashion right now. We're seeing a resurgence in this because it's easier to achieve a "bold" look but, as you say, hard to execute well. I think that metal requires a similar process to do well. I'm not saying I'm there, but that's my thought process. Maybe I need to go shopping!
    It took me quite a while before I found a pair that I really liked. If you are interested, start with Warby Parker - they have unlimited free home try-ons, 5 frames at a time with free return shipping. Zero cost to you. Some of the frames they have are great. I have their Pierce model as backup frames ... great deal for $95 (I paid extra for high index lenses). The only bad thing is that they have only one size in a model -- more often than not, I found that I'd need a different size in a model I liked. Classic Specs is another similar option with more conservative frames. They do have the sidewinder model I wear. If you want more info, PM me. Mine are Shuron btw, not Cutler and Gross [​IMG]

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I don't really think that that would do it. It may be nice for you, but a signature item, to me, is something that registers with people. It's something they notice rather than something they don't notice. .

I am not sure - I often look around and think that nobody is wearing a plain white shirt. I think that a person that always wore a white shirt and a solid dark tie would would be noticible, for instance.

1 person likes this.
  4. tweedtie

tweedtie Member

Actually my watch is always with me, my lighter and my cigar case!Attachment 65548
    [​IMG]

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I wear a monochromatic navy blue outfit about 80% of the time. Usually blue pants, white shirt, with or without a blue sweater.

6. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

I wear a monochromatic navy blue outfit about 80% of the time. Usually blue pants, white shirt, with or without a blue sweater.

Are you a Smurf?

7. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Well-Known Member

I've often thought my Col. Klink style monacle showed a certain sense of style

8. softy

softy Well-Known Member

I've often thought my Col. Klink style monacle showed a certain sense of style
    I was waiting for someone to make a monocle crack. Anyone care to ante up with a quip about their enormous member?

9. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

EG 888 last.

That is all.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Here is a quote from Bruce Boyer's book/essay-compilation Elegance about this topic (it was written in the middle of the '80s) :
    Also here's a vid for purple lovers, and here one for monocle-enthusiasts (both quite good, btw).

11. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

I've got a "siganture item" in my pants.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

^ I bet you just signed up for telling me that! Hilarious!

13. stimulacra

stimulacra Well-Known Member

Things I carry everyday and would feel naked without:

1) Bathys 100 Fathoms (UV PVD)
    2) Swiss army knife (Spartan)
    3) Stainless Steel Spyderco Harpy

In terms of wardrobe most days I'll wear some combination of OCBD and silk knit tie. The rest is a bit more flexible.

14. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Well-Known Member

Some kind of exotic leather and/ or heavily stitched shoes.

15. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Things I carry everyday and would feel naked without:

1) Bathys 100 Fathoms (UV PVD)
    2) Swiss army knife (Spartan)
    3) Stainless Steel Spyderco Harpy

In terms of wardrobe most days I'll wear some combination of OCBD and silk knit tie. The rest is a bit more flexible.

You don't travel by air much, do you?

16. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

My BMW 335 with stick shift.

17. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

Other than my monocle?

I wear a bow-tie every Thursday, and only Thursday, however there have been dozens of occasions when someone in the office asked "Wheres' your bow-tie".

18. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

when wearing a suit i only wear a white shirt. call me boring but i think you just cant argue with the clean crisp look of a white shirt with a nice suit and tie.

i always wear my JLC reverso. with a suit or shorts and a tee. i guess if i had more dough id buy a slimmer gold patek annual calendar or something on a leather band, but for now what i have works for me and i love it.

here she is (i have the black leather strap too but rarely wear it, it was getting beaten up and is a pain to switch out)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

My BMW 335 with stick shift.

I can agree--although I do miss my E46 M3 that I had before it. I don't know if it is a signature item though as I tend to get bored and change cars every year or so.

However, a few Dinan upgrades took care of most of that [​IMG] and I have a purpose-built RX-7 for when I really need to go fast.

20. lenahan

lenahan Well-Known Member

I always wear braces, and most of my shirts (like 80% of them) are double cuffed with spread collars, and I always wear a pocket square. Whenever I wear a tie, which is generally at least 6 days a week, it use a tie bar or tie tac, depending on the weave of the silk. I always wear an automatic watch. I am a student, so any of these things in my circles is considered to stand out.