1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you feel you are intelligent?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by drake, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Well-Known Member

My IQ exceeds the threshold at which IQ still can be measured accurately. That's all I will say about this topic.

2. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

My IQ exceeds the threshold at which IQ still can be measured accurately. That's all I will say about this topic.

That's pretty wicked high. I've only known two people who've scored 170-180. That said, IQ tests are bullshit. First time I took one I scored just under 100, and the second, a couple weeks later, I made 142. There's a vocabulary section, and studying for the test raises your score, which indicates that you're dealing with crystalized intelligence, not fluid. Additionally, fluid intelligence isn't as fixed (lol) as previously believed. Working with Dual-N-Gage has been repeatedly shown to improve scores on exams designed to test fluid intelligence. Even if you don't study, most people do better on their second test simply because they understand the sorts of questions they're dealing with and how to approach them from the start.

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

The IQ test was originally meant to diagnose autism, not intelligence, so I think IQ is a pretty meaningless benchmark ehre.

Correct, in fact it was the test that told me that I was borderline Autistic and severely Dyslexic and Dyspraxic. And very impatient when some woman spends an hour asking me stupid questions.

4. mehhhh

mehhhh Well-Known Member

I made a 1030 on the old SAT when I was in the 7th grade. Took it as part of a Duke University project called the Talent Identification Program. Having said that, I only made a 1320 when I was a senior in highschool. I admittedly forgot to bring a calculator. I got into South Carolina despite graduating highschool a semester late. That shows the low number of fucks given by me during my highschool career.

My younger brother is kind of the opposite. A born intellectual, he scored an even 1100 when he took it in the 7th grade. Five years later he threw down a 1580 as a senior and got a full ride to school. He worked harder than me and was always better with the math stuff.

I voted myself 'above average' but would put people like my brother in the top 5%.

5. Don Carlos

That's pretty wicked high. I've only known two people who've scored 170-180. That said, IQ tests are bullshit. First time I took one I scored just under 100, and the second, a couple weeks later, I made 142. There's a vocabulary section, and studying for the test raises your score, which indicates that you're dealing with crystalized intelligence, not fluid. Additionally, fluid intelligence isn't as fixed (lol) as previously believed. Working with Dual-N-Gage has been repeatedly shown to improve scores on exams designed to test fluid intelligence. Even if you don't study, most people do better on their second test simply because they understand the sorts of questions they're dealing with and how to approach them from the start.
    A lot of IQ tests can be gamed and studied for, but that's not the point. You're not supposed to know what to expect on the test, or else it becomes meaningless. Your first score was likely to be close to your true score. A true test of fluid intelligence, by necessity, requires that you enter the test as an untainted, blank slate who is not prepared for what he'll encounter. Agreed about neuroplasticity, though. What's certainly coming to light in modern neuroscience is that IQ tests at young ages are predictive of basically nothing.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

What a coincidence! Mine exceeds that threshold also but in the opposite direction.

7. Don Carlos

That's pretty wicked high. I've only known two people who've scored 170-180.

It's a curse every bit as much as it's a blessing. I test extremely low on most measures of "emotional intelligence," though still within normal (non-autistic and non-Asperger) parameters. I find I have very little common ground on which to relate to, or care about, many people I encounter on a daily basis. I get bored very easily, and I have extremely narcissistic tendencies.

Note that I use the phrase "narcissistic tendencies," and not true "narcissism." The true narcissist is not aware that he is a narcissist, e.g., that his worldview is fundamenally flawed. Where I differ is that I have chosen narcissism, at least to a degree slightly more conscious than that of the true NPD sufferer.

I have empathy, and I am not a sociopath. I am fully capable of liking and loving people. I can function well in social situations. But deep down, I don't really care that much about other people on many levels. It's a cold existence in many ways. I do not wish anyone harm, but at the same time, I could take or leave many of the interactions with people in my life.

8. Valor

Valor Well-Known Member

Translation: I'm alpha as fuck.

9. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

Feeling intelligent is just an excuse to be lazy and not bother learning much since your ego tells you know plenty already. You don't peak intellectually until it's far too late to do much of anything with it on a personal level. Intellect and youth rarely go together.

10. Don Carlos

What a coincidence! Mine exceeds that threshold also but in the opposite direction.

I'd give you the rimshot or golfclap emoticon if there was one.

I'll also give you the nerdy reply that the word "exceed" in my sentence fully implied an upward directionality, thereby implying that yours is the 'tardly direction.

[​IMG]

<3

11. Piobaire

I'd give you the rimshot or golfclap emoticon if there was one.

I'll also give you the nerdy reply that the word "exceed" in my sentence fully implied an upward directionality, thereby implying that yours is the 'tardly direction.

I thought it was a given mine was in the lower direction? I am one of the few, the proud, that picked "below average" above.

12. 69clyde

69clyde Well-Known Member

I don't understand the question...

13. Don Carlos

I thought it was a given mine was in the lower direction? I am one of the few, the proud, that picked "below average" above.

Ah. I was about to give you ye olde golfeclappe on a clever putdown. Either way, my boner cries soft tears of salty sweet semen for you. As it always does, my beloved. My Pee Bear.

<3

14. Piobaire

Ah. I was about to give you ye olde golfeclappe on a clever putdown. Either way, my boner cries soft tears of salty sweet semen for you. As it always does, my beloved. My Pee Bear.

<3

I'm different. I have a different constitution, I have a different brain, I have a different heart. I got tiger blood, man. Dying's for fools, dying's for amateurs.

15. stretch1

stretch1 Member

yes i do think im intelligent. up to this point it has simply made the world more complicated..

16. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

It's a curse every bit as much as it's a blessing. .

a long time ago I had a long discussion on this very subject here. my point was that a high iq wasn't necessarily a good thing, that an IQ that was high but not so high as to hurt your social abilities was a better thing. my son tested very high, but not that high - at a point where I thought that he would be smart without being nuts, or unhappy.

people feel that stating that you have a high IQ is a value judgment - it isn't, its like saying you are of a certain height, its a fact that relates to an objective test. having a high IQ is like being tall - its great to be 6 foot 4, its horrible to be 7 feet. being a little taller than average is nice, being so tall that you have joint problems and can't fit in a car or a bed or an airplane is bad. being so smart that you can't have an emotional relationship isn't a good thing.

17. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

people feel that stating that you have a high IQ is a value judgment - it isn't, its like saying you are of a certain height, its a fact that relates to an objective test. having a high IQ is like being tall - its great to be 6 foot 4, its horrible to be 7 feet. being a little taller than average is nice, being so tall that you have joint problems and can't fit in a car or a bed or an airplane is bad. being so smart that you can't have an emotional relationship isn't a good thing.

Sorry, I don't believe that social ineptitude is as inevitable for smart people as difficulty with car seats is for tall people. Also, it's great to be 7' if you're a professional basketball player; so, it's hardly "horrible" for all people at all times. Sure, if your IQ is above a certain threshold, you may find relatively few people to whom you can relate. But, this seems to be a problem for a great many people on the Internet who aren't particularly bright, so...

18. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

A lot of IQ tests can be gamed and studied for, but that's not the point. You're not supposed to know what to expect on the test, or else it becomes meaningless. Your first score was likely to be close to your true score. A true test of fluid intelligence, by necessity, requires that you enter the test as an untainted, blank slate who is not prepared for what he'll encounter. Agreed about neuroplasticity, though. What's certainly coming to light in modern neuroscience is that IQ tests at young ages are predictive of basically nothing.
    What is the significance of the true score? If you look at IQ style puzzle problems, it becomes rapidly clear that the objective difficulty ratings and value that they're assigned are bullshit. Some logic problems are a breeze for me, while others are a huge bitch. The number of times that the specific types of questions in a given section appear on any exam is completely random. I could get a good batch of questions, or an awful grouping. That effects the scores drastically. Additionally, the type of thinking that one is accustomed to results in huge advantages or disadvantages when taking the test. If one hasn't spent a lot of time working on logic problems, then the whole frame of thinking is wrong when entering the test. Whether or not you've been exposed to that manner of thinking will game the results, even for a first timer. Beyond that, where does adaptivity factor in? If all it takes is a single exposure to game the tests in a short time, is it indicative of some form of fluid intelligence? Crystalized intelligence shouldn't be a factor in logic problems. It's merely modifying the way that one approaches a problem. Only at the extreme ranges does IQ seem to have any relevance. It would take a load of dedication to move from a 100 to a 180. A 140-160 is reasonable for even the average person who chooses to dedicate an amount of time to enhancing logical reasoning and pattern recognition.

19. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

II find I have very little common ground on which to relate to, or care about, many people I encounter on a daily basis. I get bored very easily, and I have extremely narcissistic tendencies.

I have empathy, and I am not a sociopath. I am fully capable of liking and loving people. I can function well in social situations. But deep down, I don't really care that much about other people on many levels. It's a cold existence in many ways. I do not wish anyone harm, but at the same time, I could take or leave many of the interactions with people in my life.

Dude- I think everyone is like that.

20. Don Carlos

What is the significance of the true score? If you look at IQ style puzzle problems, it becomes rapidly clear that the objective difficulty ratings and value that they're assigned are bullshit. Some logic problems are a breeze for me, while others are a huge bitch. The number of times that the specific types of questions in a given section appear on any exam is completely random. I could get a good batch of questions, or an awful grouping. That effects the scores drastically. Additionally, the type of thinking that one is accustomed to results in huge advantages or disadvantages when taking the test. If one hasn't spent a lot of time working on logic problems, then the whole frame of thinking is wrong when entering the test. Whether or not you've been exposed to that manner of thinking will game the results, even for a first timer. Beyond that, where does adaptivity factor in? If all it takes is a single exposure to game the tests in a short time, is it indicative of some form of fluid intelligence? Crystalized intelligence shouldn't be a factor in logic problems. It's merely modifying the way that one approaches a problem. Only at the extreme ranges does IQ seem to have any relevance. It would take a load of dedication to move from a 100 to a 180. A 140-160 is reasonable for even the average person who chooses to dedicate an amount of time to enhancing logical reasoning and pattern recognition.
    With all due respect, because I understand where you're coming from, this is fallacious reasoning. Just because an IQ test has flaws does not mean it's "bullshit" or totally worthless as an indicator of intelligence. History tests are often flawed, but would you doubt that a kid who got an A likely had a better grasp of the subject than a kid who got a C? There is a strong correlation between actual IQ and performance on IQ tests. It isn't a perfect correlation, and no one's claiming it is. But there is a correlation. The whole concept isn't "bullshit" just because it has its weaknesses and exceptions. There is no such thing as a perfect measurement mechanism in any field of study. Finally, we're in danger of conflating three different subjects here: IQ testing, IQ, and intelligence.