1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you drive a Manual or Automatic Car?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by TheFusilliJerry, Jul 20, 2009.

1. saffy911

saffy911 Member

2. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Well-Known Member

[​IMG] OP makes no sense at all.

I drive manual, always have, and hope I always will. Though I just drove a rental car in Europe (brand-new VW Golf) with the new DSG transmission and I really, really enjoyed it. I could see myself driving a car with a similar paddle-shifting transmission, particularly if they become more common (and I'm sure they will).

EDIT: Just saw cq's post, and obviously I totally agree.

hehe i've been making typos all day. Should read:

Me, I learned to drive on a manual(04 civic si) and I still do[drive a manual car]. When I buy my next car it will be manual as well. Not a fan of automatics, and really not a fan of 'manumatic' mode on an automatic car.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

4. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

I can drive both, but currently only own automatics, since my wife cannot drive standard and I want to be able to swap cars when necessary.

5. MagnersPear

MagnersPear New Member

grew up on manual. gotta love it! automatics are ok i guess, but if i were to buy a car (been living in a city using public transport) i'd start looking at manual cars first. [​IMG]

6. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

I'll edit my edit with one more thought: the automatic transmission as we know it is probably also going the way of the dinosaur, and the CVT takes its place. In 10 years, we'll see almost exclusively electronically-controlled clutched transmissions (eg paddle-shifters) and CVTs. I wonder if we'll still call them manual and auto.

I agree on the CVT, almost every domestic car in Japan has a CVT option or is the only style of auto available.

7. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

My summer car is a manual. My daily driver is an autotragic, just due to the fact that driving in traffic with a manual trans. is a major pain in the ass. My first car (now my summer ride) was a manual and I'll always prefer a manual over auto.

I also taught my fiance to drive a manual transmission and she loves it!

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Auto but my first car was a standard 320i BMW.

9. stickshift

stickshift Well-Known Member

The computer controlled clutch, flappy-paddle gearbox is the way of the future. The stick that stirs your soul is quickly going the way of the dinosaur.

Dunno man, there's an awful lot you can do with a "standard manual" that you can't do with SMG/DKG/etc.

BMW 330i manual here.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

^^^I agree. I drove my manual today and loved every minute of it.

11. jessis

jessis Well-Known Member

Manual - I love the stick.

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Manual. Last car was an automatic with steptronic, and hated it..

13. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Well-Known Member

6 forward gears with a clutch pedal and i wont have it any other way

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Obviously a stick is a real man's choice. Funny enough girls who drive stick are hotter too. My most serious relationships were with chicks who drove sports cars wtih sticks.

15. Flambeur

No, But I Want to drive this automatic car............. Get more details
    that was a strange strange spam [​IMG]

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Manual in my teenage through mid 20s but currently automatics and still dreaming/looking forward to owning a V12 Manual.
    Aston? There aren't many '12s with manual boxes these days. It saddened me that the staggering MB SL65 and SL600s are autos, and I'm not sure manuals (short of flappy paddles) are available in the Ferrari V-12s. Who else is there?

17. Flambeur

Aston? There aren't many '12s with manual boxes these days. It saddened me that the staggering MB SL65 and SL600s are autos, and I'm not sure manuals (short of flappy paddles) are available in the Ferrari V-12s. Who else is there?
    You are right, not that many, especially outside of exotics.. Off the top of my head - both 599 and 612, murcielago, DB9, and plenty of exotics like koenigsegg CCX and pagani zonda are all still being made with a real stick. the old BMW 850 was fucking awesome with a manual and V12...

18. Flambeur

Also, as far as a big engine and a stick, the V10 manual versions are pretty cool too - M5, Viper, Carrera GT, etc.

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Zonda's got a stick? And the CCX is a V8.

I completely agree about the BMW 80series. I will own one of those. I have a Jag with a -12, but no manual, which I intend to fix.

20. montyharding

montyharding Well-Known Member

I am far too dignified to be stirring a knob.