• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you drive a Manual or Automatic Car?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The computer controlled clutch, flappy-paddle gearbox is the way of the future. The stick that stirs your soul is quickly going the way of the dinosaur.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
Me, I learned to drive on a manual(04 civic si) and I still do. When I buy my next car it will be automatic as well. Not a fan of automatics, and really not a fan of 'manumatic' mode on an automatic car.

confused.gif
OP makes no sense at all.

I drive manual, always have, and hope I always will. Though I just drove a rental car in Europe (brand-new VW Golf) with the new DSG transmission and I really, really enjoyed it. I could see myself driving a car with a similar paddle-shifting transmission, particularly if they become more common (and I'm sure they will).

EDIT: Just saw cq's post, and obviously I totally agree.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll edit my edit with one more thought: the automatic transmission as we know it is probably also going the way of the dinosaur, and the CVT takes its place. In 10 years, we'll see almost exclusively electronically-controlled clutched transmissions (eg paddle-shifters) and CVTs. I wonder if we'll still call them manual and auto.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have paddles and automatics. Currently no manuals and probably wouldn't buy a new car with a manual, though I look forward to adding some manual classic cars!

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
confused.gif
OP makes no sense at all.

I drive manual, always have, and hope I always will. Though I just drove a rental car in Europe (brand-new VW Golf) with the new DSG transmission and I really, really enjoyed it. I could see myself driving a car with a similar paddle-shifting transmission, particularly if they become more common (and I'm sure they will).

EDIT: Just saw cq's post, and obviously I totally agree.

hehe i've been making typos all day. Should read:

Me, I learned to drive on a manual(04 civic si) and I still do[drive a manual car]. When I buy my next car it will be manual as well. Not a fan of automatics, and really not a fan of 'manumatic' mode on an automatic car.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can drive both, but currently only own automatics, since my wife cannot drive standard and I want to be able to swap cars when necessary.

MagnersPear

Reaction score
grew up on manual. gotta love it! automatics are ok i guess, but if i were to buy a car (been living in a city using public transport) i'd start looking at manual cars first.
smile.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'll edit my edit with one more thought: the automatic transmission as we know it is probably also going the way of the dinosaur, and the CVT takes its place. In 10 years, we'll see almost exclusively electronically-controlled clutched transmissions (eg paddle-shifters) and CVTs. I wonder if we'll still call them manual and auto.

I agree on the CVT, almost every domestic car in Japan has a CVT option or is the only style of auto available.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summer car is a manual. My daily driver is an autotragic, just due to the fact that driving in traffic with a manual trans. is a major pain **********. My first car (now my summer ride) was a manual and I'll always prefer a manual over auto.

I also taught my fiance to drive a manual transmission and she loves it!

stickshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
The computer controlled clutch, flappy-paddle gearbox is the way of the future. The stick that stirs your soul is quickly going the way of the dinosaur.

Dunno man, there's an awful lot you can do with a "standard manual" that you can't do with SMG/DKG/etc.

BMW 330i manual here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I agree. I drove my manual today and loved every minute of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads