1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you care how your coworkers dress? Does the decline of formality of dress bother you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Although I don't share clay's strongest feelings on this matter, I do kind of get where he is coming from. Even when restaurants do have a dress code, patrons will often ignore it. It doesn't offend me per se, but I do kind of think "really dude?" Because when it comes down to it we aren't usually talking about changing into a suit and tie for dinner. Most of the time simply throwing on a sport coat will suffice, and some can't even be bothered to do that. But then I remind myself that I have a great slab of wagyu beefsteak in front of me and there are more important things to focus on.

1 person likes this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The tab!

1 person likes this.
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

+1. I also think it doesn't kill people to plan ahead (i.e. if you know you're going out somewhere nice, bring a sport coat to throw on or just dress a bit more formally that day). If you have a reason to be dressed way more formally than most (e.g. going somewhere after or coming from somewhere more formal), there's nothing wrong with it.

4. Greggers

Greggers Well-Known Member

Another issue is the fact that as casualization grows, jacket and tie becomes increasingly marginalized and socially inappropriate. Costume.

And I suppose that's fine with some people. This thread is a litany of "I'm the best dressed guy at my office (and I'm okay with that)," which, because of the decline of formality, may be beginning to edge into "I'm suit-guy oddball at the office." And, alas, some of us may not be okay with that.

2 people like this.
  5. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

I won't deny that I share your desire for a world that is more aesthetically pleasing, a world where going out to the opera, a play, a nice dinner or even my local pub provides a reason to dress for the occasion. I took the QE2 across the Atlantic a few years ago and it was the closest I have come to seeing that level of appropriateness in dressing. In that case, i think a lot of the passengers WANTED to experience the elegance and glamour of a bygone era and dressed the part accordongly. The high standards of dressing made my trip more enjoyable and had I seen a lot of t-shirts and jeans I would have been similarly dissappointed.

Also - I don't feel the same at work since I keep my Walter Mitty deeply submerged.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  6. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

I'm "that guy" in the office who wears a suit and tie most of the time even though it is business casual. Everyone is used to it by now. In fact, they expect me to be well turned out. While I don't care about everyone else wears, it's sad to see "business casual" devolve to a polo shirt and khakis in some cases (in a legal environment no less). Don't get me started on teh shoes.

1 person likes this.
  7. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

for me it's the implied laziness that gets to me. if a guy can't be bothered to dress up a little at a fancy restaurant then what does that tell you about his character as an individual? this is no different than men who walk around in public wearing sweat pants. I mean, the guys I saw wearing flips flops, baseball caps and cargo shorts would've fit in more appropriately at the Fuddruckers down the street, not a 5 star restaurant where most of the patrons are dressed up.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I've had a few at lunch so I'll chime in here. I am easily in the top 5 best dressed attorneys in the local bar. I am also in the top 5 best attorneys in the local bar. While it's not an exact correlation, it's pretty clear that the better dressed amongst us are the better attorneys. Take that for what you will.

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

I only wear suits that accurately demonstrate my knowledge of Financial Statements.

10. patrickBOOTH

Chicken or egg? What comes first success, or suits?

11. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

So plain or patterned?

1 person likes this.
  12. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

I can not stand people who don't at least try to dress up to work. I honestly don't mind casual, as long as it looks and fits nice, and isn't sweats/fleece, tracksuits, leggings on women (men would be worse, thank god i've never encountered such), or ugly raggedy denim. Fortunately, most people where I work at least dress in slacks and typical dress shirt. I'm usually the only one who wears a tie, and the only one who wears a sport coat.

If it was up to me, everyone at work would look like they belonged in the TV Show 'Boardwalk Empire'.

1 person likes this.
  13. patrickBOOTH

Why? How do other's dress affect you, or your job?

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

As I think about this, it's possible that different work environments benefit from different dress codes. The added level of formality and fastidiousness that comes with a business formal environment can make more sense in a conservative client-oriented field like accounting or law vs. more creative fields. To me there's just something about a law firm or accounting firm such that it makes sense for dress to be more formal. I can't quite put my finger on it; maybe because attention to detail is extremely important and often moreso than creative thinking. Yes, there can and should be some creativity among lawyers (not so sure with accountants), but a lot of the work is somewhat routine (even if each deal is different). It's not everyday that someone's inventing a new poison pill. The professions themselves are also on the more conservative end.

At a tech startup, of course attention to detail in coding is important, but perhaps there's more of an entrepreneurial energy. The culture among high tech workers is probably also a lot less conservative and more entrepreneurial. Perhaps once you get to the big guys like a Microsoft, it is less so, but if you want to stop people from leaving for startups, you at least need to pretend to have some of this culture.

I'm admittedly making some big generalizations, but I do think that a formal dress code would be more beneficial in some professions than others.

1 person likes this.
  15. allysan1027

allysan1027 Active Member

I think the idea that a formal dress code would benefit a company is the mentality that only a fashion forum would have, or maybe someone who has watched Suits too many times.

Except at some very high end financial services/law firms, I would assume that most people would not want a formal dress code, nor would they think that somehow it would be beneficial to the company.

Khakis, polos, dress shirts, etc. can be had for cheap. Entry level big 4 accountants (my industry) here in NYC struggle to pay rent and food on their salaries (which are at least average to above average for an entry level position), imagine telling them they had to buy suits, ties, etc.?

Most people who don't frequent SF would rather wear jeans and a t-shirt to work than a suit. That's why casual fridays were instituted right? Making people do something they don't want to (and something that's detrimental to their budget) will not result in a better work environment.

16. bant

bant Well-Known Member

we are human after all. we are perceptive and we draw conclusions. one's appearance and dress is either a reflection of how they wish to be viewed or (for the less self aware) a voyeuristic glimpse into how they view themselves and their role. truly poor, inappropriate dress either broadcasts "i don't care what you think about me" or worse, "i lack even the most basic level of self-awareness to understand that you will draw conclusions based on how i look"" and either is representative of negative personality traits in a professional environment where teamwork, self-motivation, relationship building etc. are valued.

1 person likes this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

This doesn't register for me. Surely there were at least two interviews to obtain said job. They should at least have two suits. I don't think requiring formal dress for entry level employees should be a determinant of a dress code. Plus, I can get a suit for $25 at a thrift store if I wanted to be perfunctory.

18. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

I love to see people look their best, in my eyes workers of all types in America looked the best during that time period. Its not that I hate the person by the way they look, but that their look completely repels me. When I am in the position to have to sit next to or across someone who does not care about dressing up for work, I usually wince into cringing just from being around them. Sometimes, I will not even turn my body towards the person or make eye contact when speaking with them, i'll stare at something else more pleasant and speak to them, and turn my head or move my eyes towards them every now and then just to make it appear I actually have manners around them. I get along with anyone, but that one thing really offsets me. When someone presents themselves nicely, i feel much more comfortable and its so much easier to glance or look at them while addressing them, and not break the link.

19. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

lol, these are not usually places you just run into after stopping at barnes and noble.

When your reservation is a month out, perhaps you could throw together an appropriate outfit.

1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

Doesn't this mean more competition? :devil: