1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you call the Police?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tck13, Jul 18, 2012.

Call the Police?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No and check the paper the next day...

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

I would have left him be. He was probably just resting or sleeping a few drinks off.

2. handsolo

handsolo Active Member

Response is for OP....

Best move: get to a safe distance and yell "Cut that shit out else Ima call the cops, man." Then don't call the cops.

Keep in mind that the police are not refs. By calling the cops you may very well get that dude arrested, thereby setting into motion a chain of events that helps no one. Him being arrested means they'll have to waste money bailing him out. Trust me. I know they'll waste the money to bail him out. They do it every time. Then they may have to hand some money to a defense lawyer. That money could have been spent on the little girl. Or rent. Or food. He may lose a job or benefits due to being locked up. Getting him arrested may endanger the lady's and the child's well-being by cutting off income and possibly jeopardizing their housing arrangements.

If you want to see anything other than an arrest you'd have to be a witness for the state. In the event you actually showed up to court and followed the case through the usual delays then you'd probably see the prosecutor dump the case when the "victim" didn't want to testify or wanted to testify for the defense. Again, trust me. I've seen this roughly 700 times. She'll back him and you'll be the odd man out. In the rare event he ever got convicted for the nonsense you describe it sounds like a probation case or maybe even some kind of pretrial diversion opportunity.

What you saw that day was behavior that did not comport with your own values and your culture's norms. Was it illegal? Probably close to it. Was it ugly? Sure sounds like it. What can you do to help? Not much. Some people were born and raised to conduct their affairs this way and no one can change them. Be careful if you choose to meddle. You may have no idea what effects your actions will have.

I know this stuff because I'm a defense lawyer and I've represented defendants in probably 1000 DV cases in a major urban area.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  3. elegance007

elegance007 Well-Known Member

This.

Nobody knows what they are arguing about. Unless someones life was threatened there is no reason to get involved.

For all you known, it could be two drunks doing what they do every night. Let them figure it our for themselves. You owe them nothing.

If everyone calls the police every time there is friction the police will use this as a reason to ask for more funding, and that will come out of your pocket. Nothing is free.

Let the police go use their time to fight serious crimes. Not two people arguing.

4. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

5. handsolo

handsolo Active Member

I see no hint of insight here. When the adults are talking then you should really just stand still and listen. You might learn something. If you're other 5,250 posts are as good as this one then you'd do everyone a favor by laying off the forum and devoting the time you've spent in this endeavor to dick-eating.

6. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Insight? Nothing you said in your original post had anything to do with my post or this thread. If you actually are a lawyer (which I highly doubt) you probably should learn how to read, fuckhead. Go spam somewhere else.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  7. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I called the cops because an elderly Chinese neighbor of mine kept pooping in my front yard (not 911 though). Figured she might need social services or something.

8. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

She was just marking her territory..

9. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

wtf?

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I know right?

I never heard what happened about it, I didn't even know where she lived. She did stop pooping outside though. For all I know she ended up in some vile state run nursing home.