1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you buy organic?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mm84321, Apr 10, 2011.

1. mm84321

mm84321 Well-Known Member

When shopping for ingredients, do you make a conscious effort to buy organic products? Do you limit organic purchases to things like fruits and vegetables, or will you even go as far as to buy packaged products that claim to be "organic" as well?

2. giraffe lookout

giraffe lookout Well-Known Member

I do and I don't. I try to buy organic milk and some produce. However, it's such a complicated issue. People always say, "I'm all about sustainability and I only buy organic and local." But, it's just not like that.

I like this recent Atlantic article a lot.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

4. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

No. I used to, but found it wasn't worth the effort or expense.

5. mm84321

I do and I don't. I try to buy organic milk and some produce. However, it's such a complicated issue. People always say, "I'm all about sustainability and I only buy organic and local." But, it's just not like that. I like this recent Atlantic article a lot.
    Do you buy organic for reasons pertaining to health, or in the effort of supposed sustainability?

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I do for perceived health and because my wife is breast feeding. I'm not a Nazi about it, but it gives me a good feeling. That said, I also feel a 20% higher grocery bill on average. [​IMG]

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I do for the "dirty dozen". Otherwise, I generally pass on them.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

If I am in a random place, yes. If I am shopping where I normally do, I trust their judgment. That is why I shop there, and they certainly see more stuff than I do.

9. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

If priced competitively then yes. Otherwise no.

If I'm ever baller one day I'll make an effort to buy organic regardless, but until then I don't care too much.

10. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

11. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

Don't really care. Organic is bullocks.

12. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

organic is VASTLY overrated..

13. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

Only when I buy red velvet cupcakes. Mmmmmmm...

14. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

No. Sustainability would greatly benefit from technologies that increase crop yield, limit acreage devoted to farmland, and/or minimize fresh water use. Tossing poop instead of nitrogen based fertilzers onto crops does not make the world a happier place.

15. Jokerman

Jokerman Well-Known Member

IMO "Organic" products are just a giant scam. I have a relative who only purchases food items that have organic written on them along with other odd food item's that claim to be more healthy. She thinks by doing so she will have perfect health but I swear every time I see her she is sick or something.

16. mm84321

No. Sustainability would greatly benefit from technologies that increase crop yield, limit acreage devoted to farmland, and/or minimize fresh water use. Tossing poop instead of nitrogen based fertilzers onto crops does not make the world a happier place.

Do you believe in permaculture?

17. mm84321

IMO "Organic" products are just a giant scam. I have a relative who only purchases food items that have organic written on them along with other odd food item's that claim to be more healthy. She thinks by doing so she will have perfect health but I swear every time I see her she is sick or something.
    [​IMG]

18. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

My father worked his entire life in agricultural chemicals. Once diagnosed with cancer he said that he wasn't surprised since a fairly large number of people he knew from the industry seemed to be sterile, get cancer or have other odd health problems. I will buy organic when I can but I don't go out of my way. I do wash everything very well however.

19. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I don't buy organic, but I do avoid certain items that seems to be unusually fresh looking. an example would be bananas that are extra large and all yellow without any bruising or dark marks, but once I bring it home and remove a piece from the bunch the rest would somehow age and ripen faster. I also avoid purchasing fruits with edible skin nowadays like apples and grapes since most of them are imported from the united states and for something that had to be shipped all the way across the pacific they sure stay fresh in the shelves for a long time, sometimes even longer than local produce.

20. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

My father worked his entire life in agricultural chemicals. Once diagnosed with cancer he said that he wasn't surprised since a fairly large number of people he knew from the industry seemed to be sterile, get cancer or have other odd health problems. I will buy organic when I can but I don't go out of my way. I do wash everything very well however.

wow. was he physically exposed to the chemicals? that is very worrisome, specially since a huge problem for farmers in the 3rd world after buying agrichems is they tend to be lax in handling them.