• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do women still know how to cook?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having been raised by a mother that maintain a great household (cooked, baked, cleaned - though with the assistance of staff), I don't think I could tolerate marrying a woman/girl that couldn't maintain a house (including cooking for more than 2). I do plan on eventually being able to afford household staff btw
smile.gif
What can I say I've been spoiled rotten.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joffrey
Having been raised by a mother that maintain a great household (cooked, baked, cleaned - though with the assistance of staff), I don't think I could tolerate marrying a woman/girl that couldn't maintain a house (including cooking for more than 2). I do plan on eventually being able to afford household staff btw
smile.gif
What can I say I've been spoiled rotten.

I had a similar upbringing, well a million miles away, a different culture and my mom cooked but never cleaned, and it left me wanting to make sure that my own household was free of any full time staff. I cannot imagine wanting people under foot, knowing my business etc. To each his own, though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
we never had any kind of staff but later in life my mother started to have someone come and scrub the house every 2 weeks or maybe once a month, I honestly don't remember.

I have never done that myself and can't imagine doing it. A live-in is abolutely unthinkable. I actually have a house with "maid's quarters" though it's used for other things now.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Were it feasible, I would honestly hire a driver.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai

More proof that you are an idiot.

Sitting in the backseat reading during a 10 mile trip that takes two hours is only marginally better than driving it. The correct solution is to leave LA.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My mom cooked and my wife cooks now. This is largely the result of circumstance. I work hours that mean I'm hardly home to begin with, except to sleep, so I hardly do anything around the apartment. When I'm able to make it back by 9 or 10, we sit down to eat a late dinner together. Because of the unpredictability of my work schedule, she does a lot of braising and re-heating.

However, I think personality also plays a part--and whether due to nature or nurture, it shouldn't surprise if there are different personality leanings that correlate to gender.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Sitting in the backseat reading during a 10 mile trip that takes two hours is only marginally better than driving it.

I do this frequently. It is called taking the bus, and I would gladly spend $50k a year to have that experience in a private car.

The correct solution is to leave LA.

I have SAD
frown.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
My girlfriend always cooks me nice dinners too. It is so great.

Oh wait. Don't have one.

foreveralone.jpg

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I actually want a car and driver as well. I love cars, but am not a good city driver, never have been a very good road citizen, bad record, etc. I ride in taxis 100% of the time, and the costs do mount. I could have a 6 days/week driver in Seoul for like $20K a year, but the large enough cars are like $150K. =( FWIW most of the women I've met in real life can cook/are interested enough in learning, while the only guys I know who can cook exist on the internet.
confused.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
please please please read the piece! I know you will be as smitten with sheryl as I was!
inlove.gif

I actually think she's kinda cute.

Originally Posted by mgm9128
But, my question is: if they will no longer do it, who will?

********. Best of both worlds.

Real talk: I would have someone clean, more than likely, like once a week, maybe twice a week. Probably less though because I plan on being alone and I don't get very messy. Just dishes and trash. So really I could do that.

What I have thought about, is like if I were a corporate bigwig (which I can guarantee won't happen) I'd like to have a cook at work. Was reading about Bear Stearns (or Lehman. It is probably common practice though) where the CXOs had a cook. That'd be nice. Not sure why I want it for work instead of home. Probably cause I don't eat dinner any more.

Anyway...wow, reading that **** makes me seem like a really weird dude.

alexg

Reaction score
Say it's true that women can't cook anymore, is it also true that men can't maintain the house anymore either? A generation or two ago you wouldn't need to pay to get your oil changed, or hire someone to fix every tiny thing that goes wrong in your house. I don't think the criticism should be specifically on women, and instead on society as a whole. Also, having eaten in restaurants owned by Missy Robbins and April Bloomfield, women can still cook.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
Originally Posted by iammatt
You are not that good yet
is this based solely off presentation or have you tasted his dishes ?

?

Originally Posted by mordecai

excellent post. you could light cigars in the back seat all day long.
my somali homie has a relative who does this, but only for his amg. he'd rather drive his maybach and third car forgot what it was. i'd hate to drive anything in nyc though

Originally Posted by iammatt
I had a similar upbringing, well a million miles away, a different culture and my mom cooked but never cleaned, and it left me wanting to make sure that my own household was free of any full time staff. I cannot imagine wanting people under foot, knowing my business etc. To each his own, though.

in certain societies (or perhaps the 3rd world is better way of saying it) this provides job opportunities for those who otherwise would not have them. the wealthy are job creators, etc.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shahanshah, I'll be in the city tomorrow night if you want to grab a drink.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
excellent post. you could light cigars in the back seat all day long.

You have mistaken me for brother jet.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My mom cooked and my wife cooks now. This is largely the result of circumstance. I work hours that mean I'm hardly home to begin with, except to sleep, so I hardly do anything around the apartment. When I'm able to make it back by 9 or 10, we sit down to eat a late dinner together. Because of the unpredictability of my work schedule, she does a lot of braising and re-heating.
Are you planning for children? How do you think this schedule may affect their upbringing? Or, would you try to modify your current routine?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads