1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dinner at Per Se - Suit or Blazer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by windrunner, Feb 17, 2009.

1. windrunner

windrunner Well-Known Member

Dinner date at Per Se this week... Suit or Blazer?

Was thinking either blue suit or navy blazer, gray slacks, white linen pocket square, G&G black monks. Tie or no tie?

Thanks gents,

Windrunner

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Suit and definitely a tie. Enjoy!

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Dinner Per Se would be quite the occasion for me, so I'd probably take the opportunity to wear suit. But that's just me.

4. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

Depends where. Personally I would go with the blazer a nice dress shirt, dark rinse jeans and brown loafers if it's a dinner date with someone special, a suit and tie would be overkill.

The only time I would go out to eat with full suit and tie would be for business and even then it would be for closing a deal, I would go more casual if it's after a sports event.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

So jealous right now. I hope you have a great meal!

6. 11211

11211 Well-Known Member

Being that it's operated by Californians I can't imagine they would frown on a blazer. But I agree with mafoofan that it would be a good opportunity to wear a suit.

7. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Well-Known Member

You should try Dorsia instead. I hear, though, that it's pretty difficult to get a reservation.

8. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

Skip the dinner, save your money, and buy another suit instead (j/k...don a suit and have a great time)

9. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

You should try Dorsia instead. I hear, though, that it's pretty difficult to get a reservation.
    No one on SF has ever made this joke before.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Skip the dinner, save your money, and buy another suit instead (j/k...don a suit and have a great time)
    Not an idea to be taken lightly. Dinner for two will be as expensive as a good suit on discount.

12. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

+1 for suit, though they won't frown upon a blazer

13. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

Not an idea to be taken lightly. Dinner for two will be as expensive as a good suit on discount.

I know....what is the tasting up to now, $230 pp? I would still go though. In a suit.

14. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

I had dinner at Le Bernardin last Friday, and wore a suit/tie--seemed to be the overwhelming choice with the men in the room.

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

I had dinner at Le Bernardin last Friday, and wore a suit/tie--seemed to be the overwhelming choice with the men in the room.

Le Bernadin and Per Se are not on the same level, although they're obviously both in the far upper echelons of fine dining.

17. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Well-Known Member

No one on SF has ever made this joke before.

Good, I'm glad I could be the first! I know I've never heard the same joke twice! Who would have expected someone to have seen American Psycho before?

[​IMG]

18. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

Le Bernadin and Per Se are not on the same level, although they're obviously both in the far upper echelons of fine dining.

Uhh... yes they are.

19. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I would wear a blazer and tie.

in my Pre-style forum days i was invited to attend a trip to vegas with the crew from the auto racing team i was working with.

One of the investors in the whole mess was a guy who was a serious steak lover, so we went to Charlie Palmer's in the four seasons.....in t-shirts, jeans, and me in a pair of work boots.

I think we offended everyone's sensibility quite thoroughly, the owner's best friend's Uncle was a chef there at the time, and declined to come out and say hello to us.

I dont think the manager minded much though, everyone at the table ordered ordered lobster and double orders of Kobe steak, and the best part. The waiter graciously asked us if we would like to know what the market price was for the steaks we were ordering (none of us had any idea the price of kobe) and my friend Adam looked at him and say...."nah, we're not worried about it".

Later on, after they sent us round after round of appetizers on the house, we found out the steaks we ordered were $200/ea and the bill for 6 people totaled $1600.

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I know....what is the tasting up to now, $230 pp? I would still go though. In a suit.
    When white truffels are in season the tasting menu can be over $300, $365.00 iirc. Adding Wine along with before and after dinner drinks make for an eye-popping bill.