1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

digital watches with suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lesjinx, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

Some might say that a fully canvassed, hand-worked suit is equal snobbery when a fused, machine made suit would do just as well.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Except that that canvassing gives the suit better shape, molds to your body, and makes a difference in durability.

What difference does a mechanical movement make for a watch again? A little less accurate, if anything, and requiring expensive tuning from an experienced pro every so often rather than needing a cheap battery change every few years.

You're not getting a functional upgrade. At all. You can justify it as appreciation for the craft, appreciation for the artisan work or whatever, but the vast majority of people buying automatics are doing it because they think it makes them more special than the schlubs wearing watches with [gasp] batteries.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  3. AML225

AML225 Well-Known Member

A little less accurate? Sure. "Requiring expensive tuning from an experienced pro every so often" No.

My Rolex GMT Master II has been on my wrist everyday for 10 years. I beat the absolute hell out of this watch. Never serviced, still accurate to within 1 second a day. You seem like someone who appreciates the art of craftsmanship yet you dismiss automatic watches.

Quote: First of all, that doesn't sound like a very scientific study. I'd like to see your sources to support this "vast majority of people" who think it makes them more special. Second of all you come off as someone who tries to justify after the fact that you can't/won't pony up the cash for a mechanical watch. That's fine. I wear a mechanical watch because I believe in the craft like you said. I'm a mechanical engineer and appreciate mechanical things. I think the vast majority of people who buy an automatic watch don't do it because of superiority, I doubt they could explain the difference between the eco-drive and their mechanical automatic watch. It's fine if you don't appreciate/desire something but let us not generalize about those who do.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Okay, so you're not getting your watch tuned. Great, whatever. Is replacing a battery every 5 years or so that big a deal? Pardon if I see guides recommending servicing every few years and assume that the people writing them have some idea of what they're talking about.

I'm not dismissing automatic watches as such. I appreciate a nice looking watch as much as anybody. But saying they're the only option and dismissing anything not mechanical out of hand simply because it's not mechanical reeks of snobbery. Setting up a duality between ugly digital sport watches and mechanical watches rather than a duality between ugly digital plastic things and nice looking analog watches shows exactly that attitude. If you have the money and like the watch, more power to you in buying a watch you like regardless of price. That's great. But a lot of people are buying the watches you like because of the mechanics because of the price, not in spite of it.

And no, it's not a scientific study. Or at least, I haven't seen one, I'm sure the marketers do them all the time, but those results are private. But don't lie to yourself, it's pretty obvious. Expensive watches are marketed on bling. Styles get bigger and gaudier, which is pretty easily interpreted as conspicuous display of wealth. Oversized, tacky rolexes are commonly acknowledged as a sign of the nouveau riche. Think about the mindset behind that for a moment. They buy expensive watches simply because they're expensive and look expensive. To reinforce the point, think about fake rolexes for a minute. Why would there be a market for cheap knockoffs of something if the people buying them weren't trying to steal from the perceived status of the rolex? A lot of those would be decent looking and operating watches on their own. If expensive watches weren't about the status, why would they be ripping off the name, and why would people still pay a premium for the rippoff of that name?

You don't need to see the scientific study to get a pretty decent understanding of what signals marketers are trying to send, and to get an understanding of exactly what they're seeing, both from studies and in culture.

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

6. lesjinx

lesjinx Member

Im sure that most members here will agree that your clothing is symbolic and that what you wear is how you are portrayed. For example if you wear a navy pinstripe suit with a contrasting collar shirt with french cuffs and a loud red paisley tie and walk into a meeting there is a chance you could be met with hostility, on the other hand if you walk into a meeting with a solid navy suit, a light blue shirt with button cuffs and a navy tie there is a much better chance that you will reach an agreement. In my opinion I feel that many members here especially the usual suspects who post regularly may not necessarily wear suits because they are in a position to do so but contrary wear them because they like to play dress up. that in turn may lead them to not fully understand this topic.

the comparison between digital watch vs analog watch vs no watch is an interesting one, atleast to me and maybe to others who wear suits for purpose rather than dress up. I will say that ive never worn a watch, its not because I have a phone that I could look at but its more along the lines of being humble. I am in international trade and my dads company is involved in import and distribution so I meet with principals of companies to strike distribution agreements that may take a day or a week even a month depending on the terms, where you could go back and fourth to the table to discuss terms and renegotiate them until both sides are happy. I feel that by dressing unassuming, you are more likeable especially when youre trying to do a deal which is more favorable to you. I think that by wearing a digital watch vs no watch could make you come off more humble or increase a sense of honesty. Since we associate digital watches as being cheap, wearing a cheap watch may signal that youre a simple person, which may lead people around you to drop their guard. Ofcourse I could be wrong, but by dressing conservatively in solid navy suits, solid white or light blue shirts with button cuffs and solid blue ties of different shades I have accomplished good results over these past 3 years

7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

What is this likeable crap? you think wearing a cheap digital watch is making you more likeable? 95% of people couldn't care less what watch you are wearing, and the remaining 5% won't like you cause you have a pos on your wrist.

As for abramovich, he doesn't care. As was noted above, that thing serves some special purpose.

As for paulson, I think he's a running freak and hence forth likes the g-shock. you really think people would care if Paulson showed up to a meeting with an IWC or something? the man was CEO of a global firm and head of the treasury...not to mention being middle aged. You'd expect that he would have a nice watch.

you are over thinking the hell out of this. If you like digital watches, wear one. If you don't, don't.

8. Quadcammer

This is all rubbish. If you are a likeable person with good communication and people reading skills, you could walk into your "international trade" meetings in a t-shirt and cargo shorts and get the deal done.

If someone who you've been doing business with for years all of a sudden won't do a deal with you because of a contrast collar or a rolex, you probably aren't very good at that particular business.

9. minervau

minervau Well-Known Member

I think the better analogy is not mechanical : digital :: full-canvas wool suit : fused wool suit, but mechanical : digital :: full-canvas suit : synthetic fabric non-suit. The underlying technologies are completely different, the performance of synthetics or digital are superior, while the function is broadly the same (watches are for telling time, clothing is for covering your body and keeping you warm). Most people on Styleforum resist the idea that a man should go to work in the most casual clothes he can get away with, or that the world should have moved on so that UnderArmour is manufacturing what we wear to formal occasions (even though their sweat-wicking technology might actually hold up better under day-to-day wear, while being significantly less expensive). In the same way, a person who appreciates watches (and I'm only beginning to learn about them), could and should believe that a mechanical watch, while not a functional upgrade, is most consistent with their other choices. If you're going to go casual, what's the sense in splurging on a $5,000 Brioni suit but pairing it with a G-Shock? You can call it "ironic," but I doubt that any artist or intellectual figure is going to congratulate you on your wit for doing so.

As for humility, there is a certain humility to wearing a cheap watch, and it's a trope that frequently comes up. Carlos Slim wears a Swiss Army watch, supposedly.

That being said, a poster above makes a very good point re: presentation -- if you're going to a setting where you want to appear amenable rather than dominant, e.g., meeting with a counterparty to a business deal, or appearing in court as a lawyer (particularly in front of a jury), it may not be a good idea to show up wearing the Brioni/Hermes/Patek Philippe combo. But when you're Roman Abramovich and you're not really trying to impress anyone anymore, why the hell wouldn't you wear a Patek? He spent $75 million on Fernando Torres, you figure a $100,000 watch would seem a reasonable bargain after that. Save the G-Shock for when you get hauled in front of Putin and need to beg for mercy.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. lesjinx

lesjinx Member

i assume you are referring to the comment made by mariooo, i doubt thats true for a simple reason that the polar m61 (the watch abramovich wears) is about 10 years old, polar has long ago discontinued the watch, abramovich is someone who has an unlimited amount of money and could afford to create his own watch which could be 10x more sophisticated if he had heart problems and needed a watch which is connected to his doctors. also oleg deripaska (another russian billionaire) has the same polar watch, i doubt he also has heart problems.

11. lesjinx

lesjinx Member

You could walk into a meeting in a tshirt and cargo shorts, but what would that say about you to the people you do business with? For example, I have done business with the middle east, I went ahead and went to the meeting sans tie, at the end of the day its the little things which to someone looking out may seem "overly obsessive" but to someone on the inside its what matters.

like i said earlier, this topic is for those who either understand or dont, if you dont you may assume it doesnt matter and you could walk into a meeting wearing a hublot million dollar big bang watch and it wont matter, but the sad thing is that it will.

and I dont like digital watches, i think the digital watches posted here like the burberry sport or the black one with the blue led light does the complete opposite of what im trying to achieve, they are flash and counter productive to the objective goal. when I say digital watch I mean a black timex T75961, not a white or green gshock

12. lesjinx

lesjinx Member

I think you understand what im trying to say, humility is definitely something you cant buy and its something I strive to achieve in life especially in business...I think I spend just as much time working on and putting together a business deal as I do to try to come off with humility. In a business deal its very important to come off amenable and understated, you always want whoever you are doing business with to think they control the situation and you playing the amenable role let them to believe that they are winning when in reality you are winning. Going into a meeting and convincing someone how great a certain deal is for them when at the same time its an even better deal for you takes allot of work, practice and patience, but also it takes a presence where people feel comfortable around you, and if you can achieve that by dressing a certain way or wearing something like a cheap watch then thats what it takes.

13. minervau

minervau Well-Known Member

I agree, though with one major caveat. I often wonder whether this kind of attention to detail is common in most people, and whether it really matters. Even in sophisticated business dealings, you're not going to find many people who can tell the difference between various luxury watchmakers, especially if you pick something minimalist and unassuming.

If you wear this to a business meeting, you'll come off as much more humble than if you wear this, despite the fact that both are by any measure "I have way too much money" luxury watches. For those who don't recognize, it's easily mistakable as a $50-70 Skagen. And even if the other guy happens to recognize a Piaget, the fact that he knows what that is would likely indicate that he has enough appreciation of horology to admire you for owning it, rather than judging you for wearing it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  14. Quadcammer

The man built a yacht that cost up to $800 million. you really think people are gonna be upset if he wears a $100k patek?

15. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

16. lesjinx

lesjinx Member

I dont necessarily think it has to do with the knowledge of the person; whether or not he could distinguish between various luxury watchmarkers. For example we can say that a red car causes more attention than a silver car, it doesnt have to be a red ferrari but the color on its own is garish while silver is subdued. the same could be said for analog watches, it doesnt necessarily have to be a patek philippe just an analog watch on its own gives of resemblance to something ostentatious.

whether or not this kind of attention to detail is common - i doubt it, but there is a reason a president dresses the way he does, most people never notice it or care about it but thats the point, he dresses the way he does so people dont notice. someone may not notice that im not wearing a watch and thats great, but what if they notice im wearing a flashy looking watch? that will create a negative perception of me in their brain, but what if they notice a cheap digital watch? they may assume im cheap, or simple and that i dont care about material things, now whether i care about material things or not is irrelevant - the point is to do things a certain way where you control what, if anything people think about you.

17. cassidy96

cassidy96 Member

SOmetimes it's just fun to wear one of those vintage digital watches while wearing a suit. Mix things up a bit.