1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Different Styles for men.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Joycie, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Fair Rose

Fair Rose Member

San Diego, CA (Seoul, Korea via June 2010)
    Thanks for the last two posts, they are just about the only decent ones that are trying to help me out.[​IMG] I try and look professional/classy with everything I wear. I have an athletic build and like to keep fit for my sport and so I naturally like close fitting clothes and look good in Formal wear (like at my formal and Debutant ball). I take pride in my appearance and dont really go for any of the usual trends (like surf, skate or metro). But basically what I really opened this topic for is to try and find out about as many different styles as there area and some basic information about each one (please don't go into too specific details as I'm not exactly fluent in the language of fashion). Oh and also a bit about what kind of personality someone would have if they wore those kinds of clothes (what personality YOU think they would have). Thanks
    Skater - carefree Surfer - adventurous Punk Rock - rebellious Preppy - well read/ well mannered Metro - subscriber to GQ & Esquire Magazine Sartorial - powerful Never let age define what you can and cannot wear as a young man. I was wearing suits at age 17, and wrote a book at 18. Don't be afraid to stand out & take some risks. You only live once. Stay classy. -Fair

2. Joycie

Joycie New Member

Ok. I like sartorial.

What kind of clothes should I be looking at (remember to keep it dumbed down, I dont really know what I'm talking about).
    Keep in mind that I'm 16 and not really into wearing a power suit on the weekend... or is sartorial only business shirts and the like.... although i really like the suit in your display picture fair rose.

3. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

4. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

Yeah. I like that.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Serious proposal: Styleforum Teen Edition.

6. Fair Rose

Fair Rose Member

San Diego, CA (Seoul, Korea via June 2010)
    Ok. I like sartorial.

What kind of clothes should I be looking at (remember to keep it dumbed down, I dont really know what I'm talking about).
    Keep in mind that I'm 16 and not really into wearing a power suit on the weekend... or is sartorial only business shirts and the like.... although i really like the suit in your display picture fair rose.

The best way to start is to find a favorite male actor or celebrity whose style you enjoy and mimic it. Print the pictures from online, or clip them out of your favorite men's magazines. Then find the closes vintage stores in your neighborhood and go sartorial diving (treasure hunting).

Look for materials such as cotton & wool (since it will be summer soon), and find any pair of good brown shoes. If the clothes don't fit, you can always have them tailored later on (which shouldn't cost no more than $100). You should also shop by a tailor anyways just so you can find out your measurements.

These are the most important measurements.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Neck:
    Bicep Size:
    Wrist Size:
    Chest Size:
    Shoulders Size:
    Stomach Size:
    Sleeves Length:
    Sleeves: Hemmed or Unhemmed
    Jacket Length:
    Jacket Hips:

Pant's Length:
    Pants: Hemmed or Unhemmed
    Thigh:
    Pants Hips:
    Knee:
    Crotch:
    Waist:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's the best way, and most affordable way to shop.

And if you haven't already done so... create an eBay account for yourself. The best things I've bought, clothing wise, have been from great bidding and bargaining on eBay.

Stay classy.

-Fair

7. Kei-bon

Kei-bon Well-Known Member

I love our magnificent fjords.

- B

just want to say: it's posts like this that keep me reading.

8. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

Ok. I like sartorial.

This is kind of like saying "I want to be a vinofile, what wines should I look into, and keep it simple." It doesn't work that way. If you want to *know* about clothes, you have to *learn* about clothes. However, you are certainly on the right path by joining the SF forum.

Spend some time reading through the various threads (ignore the snark), and get a feel for what constitutes good clothing and good shoes.

Stay away from synthetics and poor construction whenever possible. A good tailor is always an asset. Clothes should look like they fit properly (not too tight and not too loose).

Your age is a great time to start learning about clothing and proper attire. Keep your wardrobe simple, and minimal, right now (quality not quantity). Use this time as a learning experence. At your age most things you buy right now will not fit in a few years, so you will need to look at it as an educational expense, rather than a direct investment. This will allow you to make much wiser investments in shoes and clothes when you are a few years older.

BTW, I second the idea of a teen style forum. This type of information used to be passed on by the valet or man servent, but could (can) also be learned in prep school to some degree.

9. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Serious proposal: Styleforum Teen Edition.
    It's definitely needed.

10. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Well-Known Member

Agree completely with glenjay, great post. I like the idea of a Teen Edition too.

EZ

11. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

The best way to start is to find a favorite male actor or celebrity whose style you enjoy and mimic it.
    I'm glad I didn't follow this advice in the 1980s... Come to think of it I did.... [​IMG]

12. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Well-Known Member

You would have been one among many, squirrel...

13. dv3

dv3 Well-Known Member

It's likely we could get sponsorship for the SF Teen Forum from NAMBLA.

14. samcajou

samcajou Active Member

You can wear your own type of clothing and by doing such, you'll be able to portray your very own personality. I am the "smart casual" type with all the dress shirts and khakis. It is just so like me.