• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did You Use a Laptop or Notebook to Take Notes?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you were in class, did you ever use a laptop to take down notes or did you do it by hand? Or did you not jot anything at all?

I've always been one to write down my notes in my notebook. I was more comfortable that way.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Usually on paper, though occasionally I'd bring my laptop.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Both.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Laptop. I used to organize everything on the spot so I didn't have to go back and retype everything I wrote down by hand. My notes were so good and organized, my friends always used them to study for exams. Also, with MS Word's mathematical / equation notation, you can copy everything in a math course in its correct format.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Mostly on paper because when I have my laptop open I am not paying attention. Some professors don't allow you to be on a laptop in class. Which i think is quite ridiculous seeing as you are paying lots of money to take the class.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to think using a laptop would be more efficient, but I've had a lot profs whose notes were quite erratic (I.E. making bubbles with various words branching out) which made it tricky for me. It was always a joy to have a prof make their Powerpoint presentations available online.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
Some professors don't allow you to be on a laptop in class.

I've ran into a few of these. Heck, my university in Athens didn't allow laptops at all.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I used to think using a laptop would be more efficient, but I've had a lot profs whose notes were quite erratic (I.E. making bubbles with various words branching out) which made it tricky for me. It was always a joy to have a prof make their Powerpoint presentations available online.

Normally the classes in which the prof. added bubbles would be classes in which they were adding comments to existing papers which were available online. What I would do is convert the files to PDFs and then easily add bubbles or other notations onto the PDFs.

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I've ran into a few of these. Heck, my university in Athens didn't allow laptops at all.

****, if they wanted traditional, you should have sent a scribe to class to write everything for you a-la Ancient Greece.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
****, if they wanted traditional, you should have sent a scribe to class to write everything for you a-la Ancient Greece.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

They were quite strict with their absence policy. Plus, it would be hella noticeable since I was the only Asian in my classes.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Notebook. My typing speed back in college was not nearly as fast as it is now.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
notebook, but ive been thinking of switching... OneNote looks fantastic

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use OneNote at work, and it's fantastic once you have a good system going.. I know many law students swear by OneNote too

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Just skimmed over the OneNote wiki and it looks intriguing. Might have changed my mind about notetaking back in undergrad.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Back in college, I took all notes using pen/paper, as did about 95% of the other students. At that time, laptop usage in the classroom was just beginning to happen, and it definitely wasn't thought of as necessary. A few years later, when I started law school, I had been out of school for a few years, and didn't realize how prevalent laptops had become in the classroom. First week of class, I was shocked that about 99% of the students were taking notes on a laptop. Suffice it to say, I started bringing in my computer. In retrospect, I think it would have been ridiculous trying to get through law school without a laptop. Given the ability to type notes directly into "outline" format, the ability to look at old outlines during lectures to copy/paste similar notes so I didn't have to re-type everything, or simply the ability to zone out and browse the web if the lecture was going of topic was invaluable.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put notebook. I actually use loose leaf in a binder. I retain the information better, am able to take notes that mimic the format that the professor uses, and never have to worry about being unequipped to take notes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads