• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did the STYLEman thread just vanish?

linux_pro

Reaction score
Boobs are great. Look, we even have one for a President. Thus, every time Bush is on TV I see a boob.
Jon, I was lead to believe that Linux is Canadian. The question was an honest, albeit pointed one ... but not directed at any person. Must we jeopardize being shoved over to politics & power?
My girlfriend is Canadian. Does that count?

linux_pro

Reaction score
Speaking of Canada, they are quite friendly. I lost my wallet on a trip there, which had about $200 CAD and my credit card in it. Since my girlfriend and I were on Vancouver Island, we started to panic. We had no money, and hence no way to get off the island. An RCMP patrol car pulled up at the ferry, I explained the situation, and he said, "Hey, don't worry about it. We'll get you on the ferry." I got to ride the ferry for free (not cheap, since it's a $40 fare), and the RCMP officer gave us $40 USD (yes, in American currency.) for gas on the trip home. He refused to give me his address so I could return his loan when I got home. I called the RCMP when I got home and found out where his station was, and sent him $100 and a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in his area, thanking him very much for the help. A few days later, I received a package in the mail from the RCMP (different precinct) that had my wallet in it, cash and everything. I couldn't believe it. They even paid for the shipping.

I just had to share the story. Ever since that time, I have loved Canada, and I think all the cliches about it are pretty true. People are very friendly up there, very down to earth, and Vancouver is very clean. Canada is a great place, eh.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, as we have found out this week, our own government has also been involved in some fairly unsavory forms of censoring and controlling its media. I once listened to an interview with Stanley Kubrik, in which he discussed being forced to remove scenes from "Eyes Wide Shut" in order to release the movie on the American market. Â He made a very good point about American media. Â Yes, speech is free in America - if you are promoting horrific violence, rather than sex. Â We'd rather watch musims behead someone on public television, than Janet Jackson having her boob exposed (the horror.). Â It's funny in a sad, sick way. Â I'll stop now.
I like your thinking
smile.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ernest,Feb. 24 2005,22:14
Dictators calls their acts moderation/pacification too. Never censorship.
Fill out these forms, and good luck. Â You will feel right at home. http://www.berkeley.edu/applying/
Manton, that is my school you're 'dissing' Â
sneaky2.gif

uppercase

Reaction score
Wow, that is a fantastic story, Linux.
Who would have a thunk that still exists today.
But then, on the other hand, I too have run across some unexpected acts of generosity and kindness, so you never know about people.
Just when you think the world has gone to hell, you hear a story like this.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 24 2005,21:12) Isn't this ussualy called censorship?
You mean like this? http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=...9-121437-7274r See, Ernest, that's real censorship, and it happened in your hometown. This is a private forum, owned by J. Â If he wants to remove childish nonsense, he has every right to. Â I'll bet even French law would protect him. [Fell off the wagon again; sorry.]
Manton, I don't know what that article proves. If it said things like that about Jewish people in Germany, it would also get banned as well.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 24 2005,22:14) So censorship can only be made by a government?
Yes.
For exemple, the boss of a newspaper who asks his journalists no to talk about something = this is not censorship?
No.
Manton, your definitions may be better than mine, but I cannot find anywhere where it specifically states that a Censor is ONLY a government official. Some dictionaries allude to it (Oxford and Webster), but others do not. American Heritage Dictionary Definition of Censor Encarta Definition Oxford definition Yes, I do know where the word comes from, and they were Roman officials (usually an office you fill after a consulship), but I can't find a definitive modern interpretation that states only Government officals are called censors.

linux_pro

Reaction score
The Censor (of which there were two) was in his main duty the registrar of Rome. But he also oversaw the finances, including taxation, inspected the quality of public works and - more controversially - oversaw public morality.
In his role as registrar of Rome, he and his staff compiled lists of all Roman citizens, recording their name, age, ancestry, families, wealth as well as which one of the three tribes of Rome they belonged to.
If the initial purpose of the census, the counting of the people, was to allow for the military strength of Rome to be assessed, then it was naturally the censor, during the time of conscription, were in charge of assigning men, according to their status, to the various types of infantry or cavalry.
In their role of inspectors of public works, they oversaw the maintenance of the temples, roads, water systems.
Their powers of moral guardians were sweeping ones. Not only were they charged to discourage unmarried couples living together and to punish anyone who did not properly maintain his land, but they even possessed the power to bar a senator from the senate.
Simply for not seeing to his lands properly a citizen could be reduced to the lowest rank of citizenship.Equestrians too would be punished,if they were found to have neglected their horse, provided to them by public funds.
The office first arose in 444 BC, the first plebeian to hold it was Gaius Marcius Rutilus in 351 BC. Generally this powerful office was only ever granted to those who had already ascended the 'ladder of honour' from quaestor to consul and had thereby proved their worth. From the second century BC onwards, elections for this office were held every five years, coinciding with the census of the people. Despite the five yearly elections, a censor would only hold office for eighteen months, meaning that for the remaining three and a half years there would be no censors in place. Although his rulings would stay in place until the next election.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Manton @ Feb. 25 2005,04:20)
Originally Posted by ernest,Feb. 24 2005,22:14
So censorship can only be made by a government?
Yes.
For exemple, the boss of a newspaper who asks his journalists no to talk about something = this is not censorship?
No.
Manton, your definitions may be better than mine, but I cannot find anywhere where it specifically states that a Censor is ONLY a government official. Â Some dictionaries allude to it (Oxford and Webster), but others do not. American Heritage Dictionary Definition of Censor Encarta Definition Oxford definition Yes, I do know where the word comes from, and they were Roman officials (usually an office you fill after a consulship), but I can't find a definitive modern interpretation that states only Government officals are called censors.
Manton's predicates his definition on the belief that if "censoring" occurs in the realm of the freemarket, then it's not censorship, but something else.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Censor (of which there were two) was in his main duty the registrar of Rome. But he also oversaw the finances, including taxation, inspected the quality of public works and - more controversially - oversaw public morality.
In his role as registrar of Rome, he and his staff compiled lists of all Roman citizens, recording their name, age, ancestry, families, wealth as well as which one of the three tribes of Rome they belonged to.
If the initial purpose of the census, the counting of the people, was to allow for the military strength of Rome to be assessed, then it was naturally the censor, during the time of conscription, were in charge of assigning men, according to their status, to the various types of infantry or cavalry.
In their role of inspectors of public works, they oversaw the maintenance of the temples, roads, water systems.
Their powers of moral guardians were sweeping ones. Not only were they charged to discourage unmarried couples living together and to punish anyone who did not properly maintain his land, but they even possessed the power to bar a senator from the senate.
Simply for not seeing to his lands properly a citizen could be reduced to the lowest rank of citizenship.Equestrians too would be punished,if they were found to have neglected their horse, provided to them by public funds.
The office first arose in 444 BC, the first plebeian to hold it was Gaius Marcius Rutilus in 351 BC. Generally this powerful office was only ever granted to those who had already ascended the 'ladder of honour' from quaestor to consul and had thereby proved their worth. From the second century BC onwards, elections for this office were held every five years, coinciding with the census of the people. Despite the five yearly elections, a censor would only hold office for eighteen months, meaning that for the remaining three and a half years there would be no censors in place. Although his rulings would stay in place until the next election.
This just gives us the idea of how the word came to us through Latin and into English. I am willing to bet that the idea of censorship (be it any governing body, incl. "corporate" as we now think of it) goes back much longer than this, to the Hebrews even.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Horace:
Manton's predicates his definition on the belief that if "censoring" occurs in the realm of the freemarket, then it's not censorship, but something else.
(italics and bold are mine) That is what I am trying to find out... is it his definition? If not, then where can I find it?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Horace:
Quote:
(italics and bold are mine) That is what I am trying to find out... is it his definition? If not, then where can I find it?
Sorry, should've been more precise. His "use", rather. Or "usage", to get all polysyllabic on ya. As for whether it be his "defnition" or not, we'll await his comments, n'est pas?

Trilby

Reaction score
Surely there is such a concept as self-censorship.

I wonder if there is some slight confusion between a "dictionary definition" of the word and the First Amendment concept -- which, as the lawyers here will know, requires state action.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Manton, that is my school you're 'dissing' Â
sneaky2.gif
Mine too. I spent a rough couple of years there. What a freakshow.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know what that article proves.
It proves that real, significant, dangerous, bad censorship -- the censorship of thought by the government -- is alive and well in France. I do not think the same can be said of the Style Forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads