1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Did the STYLEman thread just vanish?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BlvdDandy, Feb 24, 2005.

1. BlvdDandy

BlvdDandy Well-Known Member

I was only on page 22.

2. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

Looks like it. I was finished with page 27, just about to get to the good part too. Damn.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Alas, tales of "the boy prince" will have to be passed down to the next SF generation via oral history.

4. hopkins_student

So, what was the straw that broke the camel's back for the banning?

edit: Has there been any word from j if he was responsible for the shutdown yesterday?

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

hahaha

Jon.

6. Ambulance Chaser

The beginning of the end was when Styleman chastized the Americans on the board for challenging his position because he had long been prophesized by world leaders and captains of industry to be a future VIP.  Then he claimed kinship with one of the wealthiest men in Britain.  When others on this board refused to buy the story, Styleman proceeded to make a crude racial remark that is not repeatable in the company of gentlemen.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

(hopkins_student @ Feb. 24 2005,13:04) So, what was the straw that broke the camel's back for the banning?
    The beginning of the end was when Styleman chastized the Americans on the board for challenging his position because he had long been prophesized by world leaders and captains of industry to be a future VIP. Â Then he claimed kinship with one of the wealthiest men in Britain. Â When others on this board refused to buy the story, Styleman proceeded to make a crude racial remark that is not repeatable in the company of gentlemen.
    this isn't fair, I look away for a minute, and all the excitement happens.

8. hopkins_student

Ok, in my readings I was almost to the crude racial remark. Anyone care to PM me and share with me what was said? Thanks.

This thread became a guilty pleasure.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

You know, if you look at his words strictly, he did not. What he said was "Gerald Cavendish is my second uncle." Others have pointed out that "second uncle" is not a relationship that any geneology expert would admit even exists, so what he meant by that is anyone's guess. I will here point out that I don't know of any "Gerald Cavendish." Canvendish is the family name of the dukes of Devonshire; rich, to be sure, but not billionaires. "Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor" is the current (6th) duke of Westminster. That is no doubt whom Syleman meant, but it's telling that he got such a "close relative's" name wrong.

10. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

I will post it since it's more idiotic than offensive, if anyone is terribly offended I will delete it upon request.

I said Styleman's claim to be related to the Duke of Westminster was BS and made an offhand comment that the prior Duke of Westminster was a supporter of Nazi Germany.

Styleman, apparently looking at my avatar, said "Black man, give birth to an ape." The sad thing is that I am one of the whitest guys you will ever meet - if somebody is going to make a comment that will ruin their reputation forever, you would think he would at least do it to a real black guy.

11. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

edit, beaten by bryce330, who was actually involved in the incident in question.

12. hopkins_student

Anyone ever figure out if he was responsible for the shutdown?

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I believe the exact phrase was, "Black man, go rear an ape" but the context was correct.

14. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

SERVICE OFFERED At work and worried that you'll miss another banning? Family making demands of you and worried that you will miss The Rich and Famous that pass by the portals of SF? Your worries are OVER... For a meager monthly fee join the Alert-A-Ban service, and have all potentially bannable threads sent to your mobile pager/watch or PDA. Also available for a slightly higher fee the Record-A-Ban service that will record all potentially bannable threads and send them to your email box. Just dial 1-888-BAN-ME-NOW and never miss another banning again. All Major Credit Cards Accepted.

15. Ambulance Chaser

Preceded by "Ha ha ha (long pause)".

16. FIHTies

FIHTies Well-Known Member

AC...Ummm... I somehow dont think that was it... [​IMG]

17. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Also, when I said I wasn't surprised he held such racial views, he basically said he was proud of it.

18. j

j Well-Known Member

Hah.. yeah, the thread was too depressing. I moved it to the secret 'oblivion' forum for preservation and future reference/evidence.

The shutdown yesterday had nothing to do with the thread or the Boy Prince - it is an ongoing technical problem with this host and apparently I am going to have to move the forum again because they cannot seem to fix it and are never available when I try to contact them. Too bad, because it seemed to be working pretty well there for a while.

19. Ambulance Chaser

Forgot to add: at some point, Styleman accused the Yanks on the board of not getting British humor.  Which raises the question of whether his postings were just clever satire.  We never did get the answer to that one.

20. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I took it to mean the latter. I wish I had put a stopwatch on the time elapsed from Styleman's post to when J pulled the plug on him. Nice to see Big Brother, er, J, is so vigilant. [​IMG]