1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Diamond rings - only for engagements?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by v0rtex, Apr 16, 2005.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

damn, I guess I will have to go back to the store [​IMG]

2. Oltmann

Oltmann Well-Known Member

I think the idea of giving a reverse dowry to a women is a little foolish. If you want a woman to love you, consider this formula:

Love value of gift=(what you paid+extrinsic value of gift)-intrinsic value of gift

That's MINUS the intrinsic value. This is why flowers and jewelry are good; they have little intrinsic value. If there were no women in the world, we would grind up all the diamonds and use them to coat saw blades and we would melt the gold to make interconnects for RAM chips. And why grow flowers when you could have a nice shrubbery?

Therefore, if you want a women to stop loving you, give her a gift with a high intrinsic value. I recommend a riding lawn mower.

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

4. v0rtex

v0rtex Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone for their opinions here. Decided to go with the advice that a simple diamond ring was far too risky, although I did want to buy a ring as she's said in passing that she'd like one. Purchased from eBay (seller wattywinker), which admittedly seemed a bit risky. When it arrived I wasn't overly impressed by the workmanship, but a local appraiser gave it the thumbs up (real gold, natural gemstones, insurance valuation around 4x the price I paid). I will need to purchase a new presentation box though, as the supplied one looks like something that came out of a gumball machine. It's a very modern style, white gold split band with three emeralds accented by two small accent diamonds in the middle. Poorly lit image here. Now to find the perfect moment to present it...