1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Depressing post about my future. AKA me looking for career advice

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

by the northeast do you mean NYC?

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Fine if he wants some advice then I'd say take the $30,000 job and work his way up. Everyone has to start from the bottom and dial back his expensive tastes. Right now his post is basically "I want a high-paying entry-level job that's fun and exciting where I want be at the bottom of the totem pole." Well that shit like that doesn't exist.

3. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Well-Known Member

Uhmm, that's the problem. You can't easily land even the 30k job with a non-traditionally marketable degree.

4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

he said in the op he has an interview for a job that pays 30k but it's not enough for him.

5. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Ish. NYC Metro area, NJ, Philly. I've lived in all those areas and 30k is enough to live on. In the hood. If you don't care what you eat. And don't plan to get sick, retire, take vacations or ever go out, you can live on that.

I'd imagine its largely the same in baltimore, boston, etc. Can't speak to them though as i've not lived in those cities.

6. erdawe

erdawe Well-Known Member

We're OT, but Liam you're saying trying to live on 30k salary in Philly is equivalent to 30k NYC area?

I've been, but not lived and I'd imagine there's still a bit of difference. Curious...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Philly proper is probably equivalent to non-borough nyc metro overall, but philly is definitely cheaper than NYC. philly you MIGHT be able to live on 30k. NYC you'll be living like a pauper WITH roommates on that kind of money, or in a neighborhood where dressing like anyone on here would get you jacked daily. Philly burbs in PA arent that bad, but NJ property taxes are ridiculous.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The company posts for them. It is essentially a two year long interview. Only about half of the hired bunch end up with full time gigs. They hire new ones almost every year.

I feel like if you can do stats work, you can be useful to a lot of companies and a lot of departments. Even if you take one or two extra courses in college in stats and you throw it on a resume and can talk about it employers see value. I took a bunch of extra stats courses in college and my current employer ate it up. Probably helps that I am very good at it and can talk about it in lay terms as well.

Are you serious, Teger? :confused:

9. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Since we're talking about a starter job, I don't think he should be worrying too much about retirement savings just yet. Barely scraping by in your first job out of college is a healthy experience, IMO. At some point you need to learn that life requires tradeoffs.

Living with roommates right out of college is also a healthy experience. Property taxes are hardly something he needs to worry about at this point.

10. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is a communications PhD and has a fantastic life, makes good money, etc...

11. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

A) our generation is unlikely to receive social security, in a lot of fields pensions are a thing of the past, we're taking longer to get good jobs (I know people who have been out of good schools, good grades, good degrees, good people who five years later are lucky to be an assistant manager in a shitty retail environment). Since we can't bank as much, we have to start banking early. I don't understand why you think being broke is a healthy experience. I grew up broke, thats why I do everything I can to not be, and I think its irresponsible to actively advocate not planning for the future or achieving your maximum possible level of prosperity in general.

B) most people don't want roommates. I've had them in the past, and given the choice between moving back to some inner city shithole and taking a roommate, at this point i might just take the shithole. he probably had roommates in college, so he's not going to benefit from that experience more than he already has, and I don't understand why it's categorically healthy anyway.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  12. patrickBOOTH

One thing that you are missing that most people for whatever reason fail to realize is the fact that humans are living longer than ever before and people still have this idea that they are supposed to retire at 55 and freak out like this is some sort of deadline for financial survival. Working longer is always a viable option.

13. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Exactly. If you're used to living on 100k a year, and can reasonably expect to live to 75 (which will probably be be the life expectancy by the time I'm that age) and you retire at 60, you need at LEAST 1.5mil because you can't count on pensions and Soc. Sec. anymore, medicare/medicaid are having issues, and you're probably going to have expensive health issues that may no longer be subsidized. That is a LOT of money to rack up if you don't start earning 50k til age 30, which is a more and more common situation these days.

14. patrickBOOTH

I don't know though. I mean you can work longer, but you may not need the same grueling job. I am 26, I can't see myself spending nearly as much money when I am 70 as I do now. I doubt I will need to maintain my highest level of income. It would be nice, but I don't think I would need it. Inflation is always an issue, though.

15. mcbrown

Easy, tiger. Yes, one should save early and often if possible. But on a lifetime NPV calculation it is much more important when you are young to focus on your long-term earning potential rather than maximize current earnings. That is the time in your life to take risks, because the cost of having low earnings only increases as you get older - you definitely won't want to be taking a lot of career risks when you are 35 and married with kids, mortgage, parents entering retirement, etc.

Besides, how does turning down a $30k job help the OP on this front in the first place when the current alternative is a $0k job? Nothing stops him from looking for another job while he is working, so better to at least have SOME income than no income.

As for roommates, having roommates after college is different from having roommates in college, because it is "real life" and college is not. In college you don't have to figure out to nearly the same extent how to coexist with other humans while sharing the responsibilities of cleaning, dishes, shopping, rent, utilities, etc. It helps most people figure out that part of growing up is learning to take care of those things, and after a short while they will figure out why living without roommates is better. And it sounds like you are the exception - most people DO want roommates when they are young, because they think it is more fun than living alone. If nothing else they need to be disabused of that notion.

Also, in my experience people who never had to live with roommates in the "real world" are more likely to have difficulty forming and maintaining long-term romantic relationships as they get older. They have their patterns and routines, their way of doing things "just so", and they never learned how to make room in their life for people with differing opinions on how to navigate the banalities of daily life. Granted this is hardly scientific, just an anecdotal observation.

16. patrickBOOTH

Yes, when I had a roommate we used to go to dinner, hold hands, kiss, sechs, all of it. My girlfriend is thankful for that developmental time in my life.

17. mcbrown

Sounds like a good roommate.

18. patrickBOOTH

I had to move out, he got to clingy.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Liam:

This post shows an indepth lack of knowledge, in more than one domain, that is readily available for all on the Netwebs. May I ask what area of study you are pursuing?

20. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Well-Known Member

Don't despair OP -- I graduated with a B.Journalism in the middle of a recession that was so hard on media, even non-paying internships were cancelled (newsrooms couldn't afford the meal per diem that they had agreed to pay).

After a few years of substance abuse and working night shifts in a print shop, I landed an editorial assistant's job (gross pay = $20K with no benefits) and began my climb up the ladder. The only real educational upgrade I underwent was finishing the Canadian Securities Course, which is a requirement here to be a securities dealer (I also taught myself HTML 4.0).

I work in government now, but previously helmed a digital media industry association, was managing editor of an institutional finance journal, manager of a 3-person web content team, etc., etc. With a degree in communications, one thing is certain: your career path will take some pretty unexpected turns. You will need to manage your expectations accordingly, and perhaps sacrifice some short-term reward for the longer-term payoff.

One piece of advice I might impart is to start thinking strategically about your industry, and share your observations with people. Someone mentioned LinkedIn, which is a great tool, but consider also blogging (or at least tweeting) your observations on advertising, communications theory, politicians' media strategies, etc. If people you network with can see that you have a demonstrated history of thinking critically about developments in communications, you stand a much better chance of snagging that plum position sooner.