1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Definition of "beanie"

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JLibourel, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I have always understood the term "beanie" to refer to a small skullcap on the order of the yarmulke worn by devout Jews or the zucchetto worn by members of the Roman Catholic Clergy.

In recent years, I have heard the term applied to knit headgear of the type I always referred to as a "watch cap." For example, in today's paper I saw a question about why country music star Zach Brown always wears a "beanie." His customary headgear looks like what I'd call a "watch cap." I have seen this usage elsewhere. Could any of you young bucks in SW&D please enlighten me on this point?

2. ahjota

ahjota Well-Known Member

Beanie, tuque, watch cap. All may refer to the same, interestingly enough.