1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

define alcoholism

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vettloffah, Oct 10, 2010.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

You're an alcoholic if you get wine at communion.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I went to one college course for 1.5 hours, went home, masturbated, napped and then went to a bar where i had 6 beers and two shots. I won sex trivia night though so the shots were free. I'll be up around noon tomorrow to work on an essay.

Am I an alcoholic, functional alcoholic, or just like and am able to have a few drinks?

You need to buckle down and realize you'll amount to shit if you don't excel in school.

Jon

3. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

... But the shift from morality to health is easy because - as you said - it's become a substitute for a moral virtue (he must live clean, look how clear his skin is!). From a pragmatic view, I'm not sure that many people nowadays face a decision and consider its moral implications before considering health issues. Put it this way: "Will this beer jeopardize my afterlife" generally doesn't come up before "Will this beer make my acid reflux worse?" (Acid reflux being a more immediate concern) Maybe emptym asks the questions in that order, but I suspect he would be in the minority.
    To me, morality isn't just about an afterlife or one's character. It includes these things, but it also includes all the consequences of one's actions, including health issues. Iow, imo, health is a good and morality is about goods. Btw, I think of alcoholism as when alcohol controls the person instead of the person controlling the alcohol.

4. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

To me, morality isn't just about an afterlife or one's character. It includes these things, but it also includes all the consequences of one's actions, including health issues. Iow, imo, health is a good and morality is about goods.

Btw, I think of alcoholism as when alcohol controls the person instead of the person controlling the alcohol.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because it reminded me of an old friend who was a practicing Mormon - and they had guidelines as to diet, exercise, alcohol, and the like, which I found interesting because of the contrast with my own faith. FWIW, I found his faith considerably more rigorous than my own.

I can't speak for everyone, but my upbringing had a sort of 'check-the-box' set of food-type requirements (No Meat on Lenten Fridays) that got watered down repeatedly, which gave me the feeling that the main focus of morality was tied to character / actions, since that's what the church focused on - provided we accept the church as the moral authority (which I think is common among Catholics in particular).

I think that if you follow the precept of treating God's creations with respect, then it follows naturally that you ought not engage in unhealthy / destructive activities, since we are all his creations - but is there a baseline to this? If, for instance, Pio can knock back a fifth of bourbon and not suffer liver damage or harm anyone else - is that morally acceptable? Or is there a rising scale of virtue to be attributed to drinking less and less?

5. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Well-Known Member

I always wonder if I'm an alcoholic. I can and do go months without a drink, but I love to drink and when I do I always need to drink enough to intoxicate myself. Like, two beers is never enough. I have to drink between four and six, or half a bottle of wine, etc. I enjoy the taste of well-crafted beers and wine, however it's not enough... I need to "feel" it, and this isn't a conscious act as it's happening. Have a high tolerance for alcohol though, and have only been drunk three times in my admittedly short life.

6. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

I always wonder if I'm an alcoholic. I can and do go days without a drink, but I love to drink and when I do I always need to drink enough to intoxicate myself. Like, two beers is never enough. I have to drink between four and six, or half a bottle of wine, etc. I enjoy the taste of well-crafted beers and wine, however it's not enough... I need to "feel" it, and this isn't a conscious act as it's happening. Have a high tolerance for alcohol though, and have only been drunk three times in the admittedly short last week.

Fixed for normal people that I'd want to be around

7. downwithianbrown

downwithianbrown Well-Known Member

I probably have alcoholic tendencies. Always mindful that it could go downhill quick, but so far I've been able to keep it together. At this point in my life, I'll have a bottle of wine and a few whiskeys in one night and then not drink for a week or two. That said, I have definitely drank in excess of 20 drinks on a given night in the past year.

Every one is entitled to their opinion, but I don't buy any morality issues with alcohol. To believe that your body is not your own to do with as you like is ridiculous. As long as you don't beat the shit out of your wife and kids when you're doing it I think it's fine. I don't believe there is anything morally wrong with doing heroin, it just so happens that lifestyle leads to some moral compromises, but if you were rich and lived independently and shot up all time, what are you doing wrong?

And as far as a straight edge lifestyle is concerned, I always find it funny how proponents of this overestimate the average human potential. I remember meeting SE kids in High School and hearing all their BS about living up to your potential and keeping your head clear. But none of them ever did anything exceptional. Sure, maybe they got a little better grades, or a little better time on the track, but in the end, in a competitive society, even without drinking most of the time you're not going to be the best, so what's the point? Enjoy yourself and make the best of what little time you have.

8. vetefairefoutre

vetefairefoutre New Member

im becoming an alcoholic once I turn twenty one and get work. i know it

9. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

I always wonder if I'm an alcoholic. I can and do go months without a drink, but I love to drink and when I do I always need to drink enough to intoxicate myself. Like, two beers is never enough. I have to drink between four and six, or half a bottle of wine, etc. I enjoy the taste of well-crafted beers and wine, however it's not enough... I need to "feel" it, and this isn't a conscious act as it's happening. Have a high tolerance for alcohol though, and have only been drunk three times in my admittedly short life.

god I don't think a half bottle of wine has been enough to get me loose since I was 14 and swiping Manischewitz from the synagogue kitchen.

10. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Well-Known Member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    god I don't think a half bottle of wine has been enough to get me loose since I was 14 and swiping Manischewitz from the synagogue kitchen.
    Seriously...even a full bottle is normal for me. I typically plan for 1.5 bottles per person when inviting people over

11. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

Seriously...even a full bottle is normal for me. I typically plan for 1.5 bottles per person when inviting people over

dont worry, I do the same, and so do several of my friends..

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

It's easier just keeping cases of wine or champagne around.

13. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Correct. My dad drank lots of scotch and sodas every day when he got home from work for I don't know how many decades. But I never saw him get drunk, and he would stop before dinner.

When I was drinking, I would wake up and start drinking, not stop until I passed out, then wake up and start drinking again. I was going through several quarts of vodka every day.

Once an alcoholic takes the first drink, he is not going to stop drinking.

You have made the real distinction. In my mind it is not someone who has two or three drinks after work, even if it is a habit of doing it nearly every day. the alcoholic is the person who MUST have a drink or two before noon, more a few hours later, and gets totally soused in the evening if they last that long.

Having those two or three drinks a day after work may or may not be very healthy. The jury seems to be still out on that. but i have worked with some alcoholics in some construction trades and they had the full juuice on by noon. Hard to drive a nail in that condition.

Anyone watching Mad Men can see the heavy drinking practices that were halfway typical in the 60's. Lots of the prominent businessmen were at the club for lunch with a drink or two.

14. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

My friend called me today asking advice on whether or not he should seek AA. What is the definition of an alcoholic?

User defined qualifies, but not all admit they have a substance abuse problem. Can't hurt for him to go.

15. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

I've had 2 beers every night nice Sunday with dinner. I have functioned in the morning. Am I a functioning alcoholic?

16. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

I've had 2 beers every night nice Sunday with dinner. I have functioned in the morning. Am I a functioning alcoholic?

Hardly.

17. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Well-Known Member

Wonder if we could get some sort of SFxAA collaboration going on a limited bottling of some sort of bourbon.

I would absolutely be in

18. Frihed89

Frihed89 Well-Known Member

When you start losing things: jobs, family, self-respect, friends,.....

19. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I can't speak for everyone, but my upbringing had a sort of 'check-the-box' set of food-type requirements (No Meat on Lenten Fridays) that got watered down repeatedly, which gave me the feeling that the main focus of morality was tied to character / actions, since that's what the church focused on - provided we accept the church as the moral authority (which I think is common among Catholics in particular).

I'll touch on the quick parts of this but it is up to individual dioceses to set the practices for their faithful. Many of which ceased promoting the abstinence on all Fridays even though all recommend the practice. The sacrifice as an act itself, meaningless. Same goes with the Lenten sacrifice. The point of not eating meat is to have a period where we do sacrifice and realize what that entails.

There is more to say about the rest of your points but that is not the point of this threak. I also wanted to poast so I could have this appear in my search for threads i posted in.

Neither cancer nor HIV are diseases... Alcoholism is oft regarded as a 'disease'.

Dude...you've failed harder in this one poast than I could have ever collectively failed here. Well. Fucking. Done.

20. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Neither cancer nor HIV are diseases... Alcoholism is oft regarded as a 'disease'.

Please, by all means, do tell us how you have more credibility on pathology and medicine than the Mayo Clinic.