• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding Between 3 Leather Bags...

stephen

Reaction score
Looking back through the old threads, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion on suitcases / briefcases / bags. I need to buy a new set for a summer internship. There's likely to be a lot of traveling, and my old nylon roller + nylon laptop bag just don't seem quite nice enough.

Ebags is having a 20% sale today. Here are three that seemed kind of nice. Any thoughts?

1) Tumi Soft Leather Travel Satchel (18"x12"x8.5")
2) Dr.Koffer's Chaucer Travel Bag (18.5"x12"x10.25")
3) Mullholand Bros Angler's Bag (15"x11"x6")

tumi.jpg

koffer.jpg

mullhollandg.jpg

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for a briefcase or overnight / carry on bag? If you are going to be lugging yourself through airports on a regular basis, do yourself a favor and get a roll bag. Of the options you listed, I like the second one for an overnight (non-roller) bag.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
It depends on what you need them for. The angler bag is fine to carry small things, papers, a sweater, etc, but it wouldn't really serve as a weekend bag. If you're planning to pack the bag for a trip, I'd go for one of the larger options (which I don't have experience with).

stephen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Are you looking for a briefcase or overnight / carry on bag? If you are going to be lugging yourself through airports on a regular basis, do yourself a favor and get a roll bag. Of the options you listed, I like the second one for an overnight (non-roller) bag.

Both. At the moment, I have the standard matching black nylon laptop bag + carry-on roller bag. Very similar to this, except more scuffed up and much less expensive than Tumi:

tumi2.jpg
tumi1j.jpg

I think I'd like to transition to a new three-piece set:
1) a new slim leather briefcase -- room for laptop & some papers.
2) a leather weekender (like those shown here) for 1-2 day trips.
3) keep my old nylon roller bag for 3-5 day trips.

Does that set make sense? Anything else I should add / change?

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
It depends on what you need them for. The angler bag is fine to carry small things, papers, a sweater, etc, but it wouldn't really serve as a weekend bag. If you're planning to pack the bag for a trip, I'd go for one of the larger options (which I don't have experience with).

+1. I've got that Mullholland bag and another that I'm probably going to put in B&S (along with some other nice bags). It's a great overnighter but no way could do a weekend. I highly recommend the brand but for more than a night I'd go with a duffle.

stephen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Did you checkout the Mulholland bags on STP? Also search for STP discount codes. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sea...ns=True&page=2
Wow -- some amazing deals! Thanks... The discounts might help make a lot of these decisions for me.
smile.gif
-edit- Anyone have opinions on a "garment bag" vs. a normal rigid / duffel? I purchased one back in college, but I've recently just been lightly folding my suits and tossing them in a roller carry-on. They don't seem to wrinkle too much that way. Or would something like this be preferable? http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...-Leather-.html

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the bag in the second pic.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I like the bag in the second pic.

+1, although it has a doctor making a house call thing about it.

Liberia Brad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stephen
Looking back through the old threads, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion on suitcases / briefcases / bags. I need to buy a new set for a summer internship. There's likely to be a lot of traveling, and my old nylon roller + nylon laptop bag just don't seem quite nice enough.

Ebags is having a 20% sale today. Here are three that seemed kind of nice. Any thoughts?

1) Tumi Soft Leather Travel Satchel (18"x12"x8.5")
2) Dr.Koffer's Chaucer Travel Bag (18.5"x12"x10.25")
3) Mullholand Bros Angler's Bag (15"x11"x6")

tumi.jpg

koffer.jpg

mullhollandg.jpg

Hi

Joining a bit late... I would go for the 2nd AND 3rd bags. The MH angler's bag is great as a business briefbag (and can double as a tennis bag) but it doesn't hold a weekend's worth of clothing and accessories. I would eschew the TUMI if I were you coz it is a black TUMI again.

Liberia Brad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liberia Brad
Hi

Joining a bit late... I would go for the 2nd AND 3rd bags. The MH angler's bag is great as a business briefbag (and can double as a tennis bag) but it doesn't hold a weekend's worth of clothing and accessories. I would eschew the TUMI if I were you coz it is a black TUMI again.

My opinion is that the J Peterman gladstone bag (I believe most if not all are made by Mulholland Brothers) looks much better than the Chaucer pictured. At least, I can tell you that the J Peterman version ages very, very well.

Marks and Spencer used to sell a similar model for around $250.00. Does anyone out there have any experience with this M&S model?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads