1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

decent wordrobe starting out in IBD or banking

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by IBstyle88, Nov 28, 2010.

1. IBstyle88

IBstyle88 Member

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I was just wondering what are some basics and decent wardrobe you would invest in if you were starting out in banking or PE?

thanks

2. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

Straight out of college? Most banks are biz casual these days, but you'll still need to have a suit or two on hand. Assuming you have the standard recent grad budget, go with something basic like Brooks or J. Press. If you'd like something better, maybe check out MTM / custom suits from Ned or LS Mens in NYC.

If you are in a biz casual environment, invest some money in decent, well-fitting shirts and 3-4 pairs of nice trousers in sturdy cloth and basic colors. And naturally 2-3 pairs of good shoes. AEs are popular around here as quality shoes at a (relatively) affordable price. Stay away from Magli, Ferragamo and the like.

I wouldn't spend too much $$$ just yet as your tastes, weight etc. will evolve quickly over the next few years.

Also, do a search - many questions like this are posted on a regular basis.

3. zizou

zizou Well-Known Member

i wouldn't spend too much money on a wardrobe yet. you'll be working long hours, which means you'll be in those clothes for a long time.

4. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

i wouldn't spend too much money on a wardrobe yet. you'll be working long hours, which means you'll be in those clothes for a long time.

He's also more likely than not quit the job within the next 5 years and become a plumber. Invest in some overalls.

5. Fraiche

Fraiche Well-Known Member

Definitely Rubinacci.

6. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Well-Known Member

I see a lot of bankers and accountant types wearing conservative brooks brothers attire.

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Eustace Tilley listed most of the foundation. "Trousers" being wool pants, probably, and then various shades of gray would be the most versatile. Fitted, flat-front, no cuffs ought to work for the listed measurements. Shirts, fitted, in a mix of patterns and solids, no black. Maybe a cashmere or v-neck sweater, depending on location. At least one mostly wool sports jacket would be a fine idea.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Definitely Rubinacci.

[​IMG]

9. kasper007

kasper007 Well-Known Member

80%+ of analysts end up gaining some weight so i would keep that in mind before spending some serious money. and unless you plan to bring all your shirt to the dry cleaners, invest in some non-iron shirts. you won't have much disposable time so you'll definitely won't want to spend it ironing shirts...

business casual in banking can be a little different that what most people would think as business casual. most will end up wearing suits almost every day with ties when meeting clients and tie less otherwise. sports coat and trousers are generally reserved for Friday, khakis for playing golf. That said, it can very much vary according to banks and groups. I would suggest inquiring further to your contacts. you'll have a "session" during training on dress codes, but your ability to visit store during their opening hours will be gone by then.....

PE will depend from place to place, but most places range from business casual to whatever you feel like wearing (including flip-flop and Hawaiian shits). From my experience, very few will wear ties unless they have intro meeting with management teams.

10. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Well-Known Member

Most of my banking friends either wear Brooks Brothers, Charles Tyrwhitt, or Thomas Pink.

11. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

and unless you plan to bring all your shirt to the dry cleaners, invest in some non-iron shirts. you won't have much disposable time so you'll definitely won't want to spend it ironing shirts...

i have some non iron shirts (brooks brothers, charles tyrwhitt) they look ok, but will never really give that clean crisp look of a pressed or well ironed shirt. and its hard to put too much confidence in a banker with a wrinkled shirt

12. kasper007

kasper007 Well-Known Member

i have some non iron shirts (brooks brothers, charles tyrwhitt) they look ok, but will never really give that clean crisp look of a pressed or well ironed shirt. and its hard to put too much confidence in a banker with a wrinkled shirt

Agreed, but IBD analysts are sleep deprived, over stressed, work 80+ hours / week and never get to actually meet clients anyway so non-iron shirt do the job just fine. or maybe that was just me [​IMG]

13. mafoofan

Non-iron shirts look like non-iron shirts. If you take the time to learn, it should only take you 10-15 minutes to iron a shirt.

14. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Well-Known Member

Non-iron shirts look like non-iron shirts. If you take the time to learn, it should only take you 10-15 minutes to iron a shirt.
    Foo, what I-Banking analyst has time to iron 5 shirts per week at 15 mins per shirt? Seriously. EDIT: But you're right, non-iron looks like non-iron.

15. EBugatti

EBugatti Well-Known Member

If you're going to be a banker in NYC, then you will send out all your shirts--the few minutes of free time you will have, you won't want to spend ironing, believe me (Don't listen to Foo on this one). As said above, while young and working your ass off, get some decent shirts (CT, TM Lewin, *maybe* Thomas Pink, BB), a couple suits (one blue one grey--BB), some wool pants, and a blazer. Don't go high end as you will gain weight, etc. and come off looking like a douche. But don't wear non-iron shirts b/c you'll look like Mr. Suburbia/Dad which is not a good banker look. But I wouldn't waste time ironing at your age.

You want to look professional and no nonsense, but NOT like a dandy or wanna be. Surefire way to career suicide.

16. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

Non-iron shirts look like non-iron shirts. If you take the time to learn, it should only take you 5-7minutes to iron a shirt.

FTFY.

17. Loudly

Loudly Well-Known Member

What Bugatti said. There are dry cleaners in NYC (and London, etc.) for a reason. In NYC, we had one in the lobby. Toss them a pile of dirty shirts, and pick up the last pile fresh and ready to go.

Brooks Brothers is a good option. In London, TM Lewin is a good start.

18. mafoofan

Foo, what I-Banking analyst has time to iron 5 shirts per week at 15 mins per shirt? Seriously.

EDIT: But you're right, non-iron looks like non-iron.

Seriously, 15 minutes is too much? Even when you're consistently working 100-hour weeks, you can spend 15 minutes ironing in the morning. Builds character. At the worst, you can have someone else do it for you. You can't waste all of your bonus on booze.

Or you could get married. That works also, though the value proposition might not be there.

If you're going to be a banker in NYC, then you will send out all your shirts--the few minutes of free time you will have, you won't want to spend ironing, believe me (Don't listen to Foo on this one). As said above, while young and working your ass off, get some decent shirts (CT, TM Lewin, *maybe* Thomas Pink, BB), a couple suits (one blue one grey--BB), some wool pants, and a blazer. Don't go high end as you will gain weight, etc. and come off looking like a douche. But don't wear non-iron shirts b/c you'll look like Mr. Suburbia/Dad which is not a good banker look. But I wouldn't waste time ironing at your age.

You want to look professional and no nonsense, but NOT like a dandy or wanna be. Surefire way to career suicide.

What the heck does wearing a well-ironed non-iron shirt have to do with looking like a dandy? Also, please ignore all advice that points in the direction of Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, or Thomas Pink. It's overpriced drone-wear.

19. mafoofan

I don't understand all the reluctance to iron. Yes, I understand minutes are precious, but consider it part of your grooming regime. Nobody wants to look at a greasy-haired, oily-skinned analyst in a sort-of-unwrinkled TeflonShirt.