1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dear Employees: Please be advised that the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend has been cancelled.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zarathustra, Nov 19, 2012.

1. zarathustra

zarathustra Well-Known Member

I agree. I fear for my children. My parents were always told me there was going to be a day when baby bird gets pushed out of the nest. Lucky for me, I learned to fly early.

I know I am going to be the same with my kids. I just wonder how I will deal with the looks and comments from others.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Wait, she's telling everyone else to work but she's taking the day off? Is she for real?

Damn, I'd hate to see what happens to her office when she's out enjoying the post-Thanksgiving hangover on Friday. It would be a real shame if someone bought a dozen cans of sardines, opened them up and then strategically placed individual sardines in every nook and cranny of her office. I can only imagine how bad that would smell.

3. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Trust me: it's easy to deal with the looks and comments of others when you mentally fast-forward about 15-20 years and realize that your son/daughter has been better-prepared for the vagaries of life and will stand on his/her own two feet. The uphill battle comes in separating your child from his/her peers in what they get away with (e.g. But Johnny has a laptop/stays up until midnight/eats fried twinkies/doesn't do chores). That's where you must be strong, brother.

Truth, I have publicly embarrassed my son (well...um) and his friends and a few well-meaning adults when I've said, probably louder than I should, that I Don't Care What Other People Do You Are My Son - Not Theirs, and I Make The Rules - Not Them, and Just Because You Got A Very Nice Adult To Tell You It's Okay That Doesn't Override My Judgement.

But, she's entitled to her day off.

4. Harold falcon

And those sardines are entitled to a home in her office.

5. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

:fistbump:

6. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

This woman is fucking doomed if all you're saying is true. No way she'll last. Taking away vacation in the age of employment mobility is the number one way to lose good people. What a dumbass and, as reflected in the above posted generational misanthropy from a Millenial like myself (born in 84), how predictable and depressing. :fu:

7. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

This made me laugh.

8. imatlas

I have trouble with the whole "those darn millennials" thing. I am constantly meeting really impressive young people who have started their own businesses and non-profits, and none of them seem especially entitled. As thomas already pointed out, it really comes down to the parenting, and there are bad parents in every generation.

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

+1.

10. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're mom

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Perhaps with the circles you move in, you would only meet certain types of Millennials? There are a lot of good ones out there, and we have a lot of good traits. We're the most tech savvy, we're the most global, and we're the most open generation the US has ever produced. Combine that with motivation and discipline, you have some people who will really contribute to society in a variety of ways (as some are already).

It just seems so many others are willing to impute the responsibility of failures on everything but themselves. As Thomas says, it's mostly about the parents, directly and indirectly (the way in which Baby Boomer parents have influenced the school system...some places don't even give out F's any more). I wonder what sort of people Gen X will produce. And come 2030, we'll see what kind of parents we make.

But regardless of the cause, Millennials like the one the OP is having to deal with need to look at their approach to work and life, accept that it's not the best one, and change it. It might be her parents' fault she is the way she is, but it's now her responsibility to change it.

Pulling this thread off topic, but I would love to hear Holdfast's take on this.

12. imatlas

I'm rubber and your glue.

1 person likes this.
  13. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

bitch goin' black friday shoppin'!

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I'm working this weekend. Had to cancel vacation plans. But it's due to an actual crisis, so I'm not complaining.

15. zarathustra

zarathustra Well-Known Member

Millenials don't actually go to stores to shop, that is for the old people. Millenials use the powers of the internetz!

1 person likes this.
  16. Harold falcon

Cyber Monday?

17. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

Millenial here. Gainfully employed since age 14. This is fucking inexcusable behavior.

Fire. That. Bitch.

I can't believe that she expects to come back from her "vacation" to be greeted with anything less than slashed tires.

18. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

So, we never heard the aftermath...

Did the workers show up? Did she? What happened Monday and on?

19. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Inquiring minds want to know.

20. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

Sounds like an episode of Suits. [​IMG]