1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

DCist street style hilarity

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by shoreman1782, Mar 7, 2007.

1. aspriel

aspriel Well-Known Member

The "uniform" here in Chicago for college girls is sweatpants tucked into Uggs and a gray hoodie with their college's name on it.

Can we bring back Sevens and black tank tops please?

2. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

Washington isn't a very fashionable or particularly stylish city.

3. deedotceedot

deedotceedot Member

I once went out to Eyebar at the invitation of a friend and was turned away for wearing sneakers (a pair of Marc Jacobs Vans). When asked about the dress code the hostess told me that they only allow "Diesels" and "vintage Pumas". Had to laugh aloud about that while I walked away.

4. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Well-Known Member

Washington isn't a very fashionable or particularly stylish city.

+1

I'm second to no one when it comes to bashing DC, but to be fair there are plenty of neighborhoods in NYC where the aforementioned outfit is standard on women (and men aren't much more creative). I think it's sort of the default Eastern seaboard young white professional look...

Besides, swap out the jeans and you're not all that far from many dudes here, myself usually included; you can post a tee, selvage denims and Vans and get a round of "nice fits" in WAYWN...

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

For non-beltwayers, Smith Point is the seventh level of SEC fratolicious Young Republican hell...
    Too true. I have a friend on "the list" (What's up with a list to get into a bar? This ain't NYC.) who keeps telling me that we should go to Smith Point to meet women. I'm thinking that I may have too much melanin to get past the bouncer.

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't throw stones--the guy in the harrington/chucks isn't too terrible, though the hair and tie aren't helping.

I guess I'm just spoiled by the Sartorialist, who finds great stuff, takes good pics, and pretty much lets them speak for themselves. Then again, he gets flown around the world to fashion centers, has top-notch equipment, and has 20 years of experience at some level in the clothing industry.

7. cldpsu

cldpsu Well-Known Member

Anything beats going to penn state and seeing girls in a sweatpants and sweatshirts... they could look so much better.

8. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Well-Known Member

That eyebar incident is kind of sad. I got into eyebar wearing converses. They were all black though so maybe they didnt notice em. I dont like to where nice shoes to clubs or bars as they get screwed up, stepped on. The floors are so nasty there. Or I whip out the black gucci lace ups. I dont care if they get fucked up

but yea dc sucks
    and the sartorialist has spoiled everyone, girls around here cant dress as well as some of the ones on there ever in there lives

9. migo

migo Well-Known Member

hey...you don't have to live WITH these girls in Foggy Bottom. It's been said, but I'll say it again...girls can't dress for shit. You think they're unstylish when they're out at night? You should see them during the daytime. Too many Ugg/sweatpants/fur jackets/ugly sunglasses/tights. It's like hell, except worse.

10. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Well-Known Member

hey...you don't have to live WITH these girls in Foggy Bottom. It's been said, but I'll say it again...girls can't dress for shit. You think they're unstylish when they're out at night? You should see them during the daytime. Too many Ugg/sweatpants/fur jackets/ugly sunglasses/tights. It's like hell, except worse.
    oh yea i know where do you go to school? im guessing its gw and im guessing your indian or pakistani cuz of the bhangra blowout

11. bant

bant Well-Known Member

12. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

When is the next DC get-together?

13. afaludi

afaludi Well-Known Member

Im in fairfax city all day all night long, im down for drinks when ever

14. Goblin

Goblin Well-Known Member

It could be worse. You could always live here in West Virginia. The horror ... the horror!

15. migo

migo Well-Known Member

oh yea i know
    where do you go to school?
    im guessing its gw
    and im guessing your indian or pakistani cuz of the bhangra blowout

yea I go to gw. I'm indian. Everyone reading this should go to bhangra blowout, it's awesome.

We're on spring break starting....now...and I've been seeing peeps going home all day...I can't comprehend why people would hop a plane/train looking like such a mess...first of all, I read somewhere that well-dressed travellers get treated with much more respect at airports and stuff. When I travel I at least put on a shirt and look decent. Not sure if it's true, but it's not a bad deal to try, huh?

Second of all, don't blame it on wanting to be comfortable...you're on a 40 minute flight.

and finally, how do you walk around in public looking like a mess and not be embarrased?

rant over.[​IMG]

16. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

Just read through this thread and everything said here is spot on. The young professional crowd in DC is the most homogeneous collection of conformists on the planet. I went to that new Chics and Wings sports bar in Tyson's Corner this past week to watch the MNF Giants and Eagles game. Amjacks wearing Ed Hardy, True Religion, horsebit loafers (so tired of them), it was so 'look what I can afford you think I am cool right?'. The women were just as bad.

I can't go out in Georgetown anymore, I am so tired of the masses. I still haven't found a place in the DC area (just moved home to northern VA after graduating) that has any individuality.

Anyone in DC have any suggestions on avoiding the Amjacks or republican fratboy bro's like Smith Point?

17. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

This is to be expected anywhere Giants fans congregate.

Rules for avoiding DC Amjacks and Smith Pointers--
    1. Avoid Virginia (sorry kronik).
    2. Avoid Smith Point/Townhall.
    3. To a lesser extent, avoid Adams Morgan.

If you're OK with a mix of hipsters, I'd recommend the Black Cat, St. Ex, and Bar Pilar in the U st area (although St. Ex and Pilar have their share of yupsters, of which I may be one myself, so...); Wonderland in Columbia Heights; H st spots (Red and the Black, Rock and Roll Hotel, etc.--I hear Granville Moore's is good for Belgians and mussels, and the Palace of Wonders is supposed to be cool for neo-burlesque and freakshows). There's also pretty alright dive bars peppered all over the city--The Raven in Mt Pleasant, for instance. In Silver Spring there's the Quarry House.

For non-bar culture, there's evenings at the Hirshorn museum (which is awesome in daylight, too). You live here, right? So I won't go on about museums.

Althought word-of-mouth is the best way to discover good bars, etc. yelp.com will give you a pretty good idea of what to avoid. Forget the star ratings, just look for bro-tastic reviews.

EDIT: pretty sure dcist cancelled the column that prompted this thread.

18. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

Props on your signature and thanks for the response.

19. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Well-Known Member

i agree with everything said so far....
    eyebar is a hole... i can no longer go out there anymore...
    for the good clubbing scene, id recommend Lotus, way overpriced drinks but great house and hotties.

the hipster set is def at Black Cat/ St/ Ex .. the U Street area in general isnt bad, either is Science Club/ ESL in dupont.

as a Arlington resident... the whole county is pretty much the white yuppie mobs so dont expect much else... nice yuppie girls tho

Gtown is the same like everyone said, Adams Morgan can be ok depending on where you go, and how early you are there.... before its descended upon by the suburbanite masses.

fuck I wish i lived in NYC or some other big city.

20. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Well-Known Member

i might have to check out H street though. that sounds cool