• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Disasters - Appearance

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Whether we should in fact be engaged in long-term relationships at all is an entirely different debate.

I'm just barely romantic enough to see the benefit in mating for life, and to personally aspire to that (spiritually, if not legally), but by no means do I see it as the 'correct', 'natural' or even 'preferable' relationship structure. Well, unless kids are involved, I guess.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I have to ask.. did you ever experience love?

-Danny Wilson

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think so. We are biologically wired to stop thinking straight at the sight of a 19 yr old hottie but that doesn't mean we have to be shallow in our long-term relationships. Whether we should in fact be engaged in long-term relationships at all is an entirely different debate.

I don't know... I think if you put a really hot woman beside most men they'd jump out of their current relationship pretty fast if the hottie was equal in every other way to their current woman and was guaranteed to stay with him for a while. I'm also assuming the men aren't married, which obviously changes the equation (kids, assets, etc.).

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
...if you put a really hot woman beside most men they'd jump out of their current relationship pretty fast if the hottie was equal in every other way to their current woman and was guaranteed to stay with him for a while...

Sure, and if I had sold my worldcom stock...

Your reasoning makes unrealistic assumptions and is therefore flawed. Most men would not leave their wives for any hottie that comes along because they are not so shallow and recognize the other attributes they value in a woman. Those that do during so-called mid-life crises usually end up regretting it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilson brother
Hey guys-

I have to ask.. did you ever experience love?

-Danny Wilson

Yes, but it ended badly for a whole number of reasons, not all of which were mine. I enjoyed my time with her but it ran its course. Among other things, we just ran out of things to say to each other. Frankly, that relationship never had a future because she didn't have the intellect or the looks to keep me interested in the long-run. It's a mistake I'm very keen on avoiding in the future.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the interest of lightening up this thread, here are some good (wife) jokes I recently read:

A store that sells new husbands has just opened in New York City, where a woman may go to choose a husband. Among the instructions at the entrance is a description of how the store operates. You may visit the store ONLY ONCE! There are six floors and the attributes of the men increase as the shopper ascends the flights. There is, however, a catch: you may choose any man from a particular floor, or you may choose to go up a floor, but you cannot go back down except to exit the building!

So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a husband. On the first floor the sign on the door reads: Floor 1 - These men have jobs.

The second floor sign reads: Floor 2 - These men have jobs and love kids.

The third floor sign reads: Floor 3 - These men have jobs, love kids, and are extremely good looking.

“Wow,” she thinks, but feels compelled to keep going.

She goes to the fourth floor and sign reads: Floor 4 - These men have jobs, love kids, are drop-dead good looking and help with the housework.

“Oh, mercy me!” she exclaims, “I can hardly stand it!” Still, she goes to the fifth floor and sign reads: Floor 5 - These men have jobs, love kids, are drop-dead gorgeous, help with the housework and have a strong romantic streak.

She is so tempted to stay, but she goes to the sixth floor and the sign reads:

Floor 6 - You are visitor 31,456,012 to this floor. There are no men on this floor. This floor exists solely as proof that women are impossible to please. Thank you for shopping at the Husband Store.

-------------------------------------------

Follow-up:

A new wives store has opened up across the street:

The first floor has wives that love sex.
The second floor has wives that love sex and have money.
The third through sixth floors have never been visited.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Your reasoning makes unrealistic assumptions and is therefore flawed. Most men would not leave their wives for any hottie that comes along because they are not so shallow and recognize the other attributes they value in a woman. Those that do during so-called mid-life crises usually end up regretting it.

I don't know... My father stayed with my mother for years after she stopped making him happy. He stayed because of his kids and the complications of a divorce.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between a girlfriend and wife?

45 lbs

What's the difference between a boyfriend and husband?

45 minutes

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nantucket,
I agree that she probably deserves honesty, but to tell her, even gently, that you're breaking up with her because of her looks is cruel. This comes from someone who thinks you're doing the right thing by breaking up. I pass no judgment on your situation, and appreciate your honesty.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most middle-aged people realize that they are unlikely to find anything better in a long-term relationship. From the research, it's clear enough that often the physical attraction, and sometimes with it feelings of love, declines over time.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Yes, but it ended badly for a whole number of reasons, not all of which were mine. I enjoyed my time with her but it ran its course. Among other things, we just ran out of things to say to each other. Frankly, that relationship never had a future because she didn't have the intellect or the looks to keep me interested in the long-run. It's a mistake I'm very keen on avoiding in the future.

My situation is similar. We seem to have less to say to each other lately and sometimes I notice that we tune each other out at times. She doesn't have anywhere near my level of education, though she has a quick mind, and close to no intellectual curiosity. Often she tells me about something she saw on TV; I've never owned a TV in my life.

After thinking about it -- brooding about it in a rather joyless state -- for a while, I realized that we will probably just drift further apart, especially now that I've moved further away and we'll be spending less time together than the standard one day a week (yet another issue). We will probably agree just to be friends at some point. This would be far easier on both of us than an outright breakup and far kinder to her. She would make a great mistress, but is inadequate as a main squeeze. Letting the relationship follow its natural course will probably take care of things without a painful breakup. I just can't reconcile myself to repaying her kindness with heartbreak, but it is also simply time to move on.

Originally Posted by Renault78law
Nantucket,
I agree that she probably deserves honesty, but to tell her, even gently, that you're breaking up with her because of her looks is cruel. This comes from someone who thinks you're doing the right thing by breaking up. I pass no judgment on your situation, and appreciate your honesty.

Thanks. I agree and after reconsidering, think that a sudden breakup is the wrong approach for the situation. I also think I can address the issue of looks and style without being blunt or unkind.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- I think that my wife died.

- Why's that?

- Sex is the same, but dishes are starting to stack up in the sink.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A husband was in big trouble when he forgot his wife's birthday. His wife told him "Tomorrow there better be something in the driveway for me that goes from zero to 200 in under 10 seconds."

The next morning the wife found a small package in the driveway. She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale.

Funeral arrangements for the husband have been set for Saturday.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One day at Lambeau Field (home of the Green Bay Packers), a journalist is stunned to find an empty seat at the 50 yard line, right on the aisle and just inches behind the Packer bench. Lambeau has sold out every Sunday for decades, and the guy couldn't believe that this of all seats was empty.

There was an older fellow sitting next to the seat and the reporter asked him if he knew what had detained the occupant.

"Well," he said, "this was my wife's seat. We came to games every week-- but she's dead now."

The journalist, probing a bit, said "but don't you have any friends that you could ask? There isn't a soul in Green Bay who wouldn't love to sit here today."

The old fellow said "Oh, yes, we had plenty of mutual friends. But they're all at the funeral today."

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two businessmen are having lunch. One of them says, "oh, I had the worst Freudian slip on the flight back from New York. The flight attendant had these fantastic **** and when she asked me where I was from, I was so distracted that I said titsburg."

The other business man says, "wow, that's pretty bad. I had a doozy the other day too. We were having dinner and I meant to ask my wife to pass the beans. Instead I said 'you stupid f**ing *****, you've ruined my life!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads