1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Daniel Hechter quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by countdemoney, Oct 22, 2006.

1. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Was in a daniel hechter store today and saw a very nice currency wallet. To my eye and hand, the leather felt the equal of certain dunhill and other grades, but at a much lower price.

Any experience with this brand?

thanks.

2. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Was in a daniel hechter store today and saw a very nice currency wallet. To my eye and hand, the leather felt the equal of certain dunhill and other grades, but at a much lower price.

Any experience with this brand?

thanks.

http://www.danielhechter.net/pop_up.html

Was it that Daniel Hechter?

I come across items from that label at secondhand stores all the time and the goods never struck me as high quality. It could be that we are talking about two different brands, however.

3. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Only one specific leather, didn't really look at the clothes.

It's the leather with that very strange grain - like a series of broken lines.

Like the leather on the dunhill sidecar products:
    http://www.dunhill.com/en/leathergoods/sidecar

4. trogdor

trogdor Well-Known Member

I've got four or five Daniel Hechter shirts, and I've no complaints. They're not top-end in terms of construction or fabric, but they're quite fashion-forward, and pretty reasonably priced.

I don't know if the same would apply to their leather goods.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I have a Daniel Hechter tie or two I think and would agree with trogdor's description. Fashion-forward but not excessively so, mid-price and mid-quality. Not bad, quite wearable, department store mid-range fodder.

No idea about their leather goods, specifically.

6. WN2

WN2 Well-Known Member

I'll second that. I've got a some shirts which are decent, pretty durable, look good and are reasonably priced but not anything special.

7. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

A lot of their stuff is made in Hong Kong. I've bought a couple of shirts from the 'outlet stores', they're okay/satisfactory. I certainly wouldn't put them on a par with Dunhill.

8. Niels

Niels Well-Known Member

I own a Daniel Hechter suit. I think it was priced around 500 €. Quality on par with Hugo Boss imho.

9. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

One of my favorite sweaters is by Daniel Hechter. I bought it at the NYC store in the early 1990s or so and at the time it was very expensive - @$125. I thought at the time, and still do, that it was very well made. It's a rather unique design too.

10. benchan

benchan Well-Known Member

Some of their stuff were and are still made in France though.....

11. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Daniel Hecher is still offering decent quality for very reasonable prices...
    Do not expect top end finish but good all-rounders shirts or suits....
    Like with YSL creations (not the rive Gauche ou Couture),fashion-conscious could find Daniel Hechter's products lacking some personality and class ...
    You only get the quality you have paid for (and this cardinal rule does not always applies)...
    If you look for decent products in which you can go to work without looking cheap and nasty ,Daniel hechter is a good compromise (like Jasper Conran,Burton or John Rocha in the UK)....
    If you do need a little more "history and personality" ,you can also look out for end of sales quality products such as Corneliani or Canali.....

12. Cognacad

Cognacad Well-Known Member

I have a Hecther suit that cost me about 250$ new in Tip Top store. I have two shirts and they look good and seem sturdy. I am pleased and for the price I cannot complain.

Edit: Oops didn't see the age of this thing

13. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

I dug out an old Daniel Hechter suit from the 90's. it's made in Canada so I can't vouch for the quality. I need to get it dry cleaned and have the dreaded pant cuffs removed