1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Customizing/modifying jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Jan 17, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Hey forum,

I have a pair of Armani jeans I picked up off of ebay, but they looked much different in the photo. In reality, they are a boring shade of lighter blue with a bit of fading running down the front.

So far I've added some whiskers below the pockets and at the back of the knees using a piece of 400-grit sandpaper wrapped around a steel rod. I've also tried to rough up the edges of the pockets and the bottom of the jeans without much success, as well as add a few tiny slices and frays to those edges. So forum, any suggestions for cool custom elements I could add? Also, any ideas to make them darker or at least a tiny bit 'dirty' (like a brownish tinge)? Thanks for the help.

-Eric

2. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

Depending on the jeans, replacing the back pockets with corduroy ones can look pretty good - I like pockets from tan/camel and brown cords.

3. dmckean44

dmckean44 New Member

I've had good luck roughing up seams and pockets of jeans with a cheese grater.

I've always wanted to modify jeans to add more flare though, I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Phone the Denim Doctors in L.A. They will have great ideas about customizing jeans.

5. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion to add more flare or a boot-cut look. On the side seam (the one facing inside, not outside) make a 1.5 to 3 inch slit. You may want to sew the edges up a bit to prevent fraying, but it isn't necessary. This adds a more flared look to the jeans, I'm thinking about doing this to the previously described jeans I have.