1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kissmyanthia

Kissmyanthia Well-Known Member

Very nice! Thanks for the preview, thats the exact make up I ordered....right down to the mini lug - except I ordered 6" height.

2. Futzy

Futzy Member

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did in my first impressions. I've still yet to wear them outside my house, but I think I'll take them on a short hike tomorrow to start breaking them in. The leather is very stiff all around, even the tongue and laces.

Here's the makeup of these
    • ---White's Bounty Hunter
    • Last: Semi Dress
    • Leather: Distressed Smooth
    • Liner: Tan
    • Height: 9"
    • Sole Trim: Standard
    • Toe Cap: None
    • Safety toe: No
    • Celastic Toe Box: Single
    • Hardware: Antiqued Brass Eyes and Hooks
    • Top: Cut Top
    • Midsole: Single
    • Edge Dressing: Natural
    • Sole: Vibram 430
    • Lace Design: Plain toe
    • Pull Tab: Yes
    • Heel Shape: Standard/Curve Heel
    • Heel Height: Standard
    • Half Slip: No
    • Size: 11.5EE
    • ---Additional Requests
    • Eyes: 5 eyelets on bottom; 1 eyelet on top row
    • Laces: Leather
    • Logo: No External Branding/Logo

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. Kissmyanthia

I guess mine is a little different, I didn't get the liner or the celastic toe box - kept it soft toe. I wanted to keep it as close to the Farmers I had from several years ago - but with the semi-dress last.

I had heard that the distressed leather is a little stiff, so they may take a little time. The SDs I'm wearing now has brown dress leather, which is also more stiff than the oil tanned - but gets real nice with age....hoping the distressed breaks in as nicely. I kept going back and forth between the oil tanned brown and distressed for the BH's, it was the 'coolness' factor of the distressed leather that made my decision.

You got yourself a nice pair of Whites. Good luck on that hike tomorrow, rockin around on uneven surfaces is truly the best way to break in those bad boys!

4. Kissmyanthia

Just fyi - after 2 weeks of wear, 2 - 6 hrs a day, the pinky toe rubbing in my brown dress leather SDs is no longer an issue. No stretching, just standard wear is breaking them in nice.

5. spurs61

spurs61 Well-Known Member

6. chicken1616

chicken1616 Well-Known Member

Those are really nice. I like 'em!

7. yumacool

yumacool Active Member

Has anyone seen or worn or have any other experience with the White's bison leather boots on sale in the current issue of the Orvis catalog? The listing calls them a "gentleman's boot" and doesn't list White's by name, but it is obvious that they are semi dress boots. The listing says the boots are made in Spokane, Washington, at the end of the description.

These look like pretty nice boots and the price seems not bad-- the listed discount price is $367.50. Anyone familiar with White's bison leather semi dress boots?

8. Kissmyanthia

HI, I believe another poster mentioned that this may go away after the sole/footbed leather is broken in - which is entirely true. With that said heres a couple of things to try, 1 - if you haven't already, use leather laces - they always seem to lock me in better than nylons. 2 - go to nicksboots.com and tap on faq's and read the 2-3-1 lacing system, I think it works well at keeping you heel locked in for boots that have 3 hooks.

If you are concerned about your tracing, you should re do them and send them to Kyle at Baker Shoe (bakershoe.com), and tell him how you are feeling with your current classic work book. With the tracing, and the information you posted, he will probably get you the fit you are looking for. I've worked with a few different folks with tracings, and I have been - by far - the happiest with his size recommendations.

Good luck!

9. Kissmyanthia

Nice find! Give White's a call and ask them if no one replies with an answer - at that price I'd pick up a pair if they had them in my size.

10. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

I have some 6" bounty hunters in brown bison. They're excellent. I highly recommend them.

11. Kissmyanthia

Nice brown bison SDs

12. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Man, finding stuff on the Orvis site has always been a nightmare because items are described without the keywords you'd expect sometimes. I'd double-check to make sure they are White's (and not Nick's, although that too would be a decent deal). I mean, they look like White's semi-dress in Bison w/a single leather sole but best to be sure if laying down cash.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  13. Kissmyanthia

My old semi - dress boots from 12 years ago, back when the Whites catalog only had black and brown (of course you could always ask for different leather). I wore them every day, unfortunately my foot size changed and had to give them up for adoption on eBay.

Had the sewn on topy, my favorite sole - real light weight and flexible. , and those suckers last 2 - 3 years! (although they were bald most of the time)

Got about $150 on ebay with full disclosure that I wore them every day...man I miss them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Kissmyanthia

[​IMG]
    One more from the side, was kinda dark - but you get the picture

15. jdunn709

jdunn709 Member

Just joined this forum solely because of this thread! My foot tracings are making their way through the mail to Kyle at Baker's Shoes.

@revrend, I'd love to see some pictures of your boots and any more info you have to offer (care, durability, break in time, etc)
    Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

16. revrend

Here you go. They're from 2-3 months ago but little has changed since. They a bit over a year old. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bison fibers are different. Feels a bit less dense than cow but it's tougher. Break in and care is pretty much like any cow leather.

3 people like this.
  17. jdunn709

jdunn709 Member

Thank you!

I'm torn between bison and distressed smooth for my first pair!

Jeremy

18. revrend

I have distressed smooth, too. They're both awesome leathers. Bison is a little more wild and out there, but that pair of boots is one of the few things I own that gets strangers stopping on the street to ask questions or offer compliments.

19. jdunn709

jdunn709 Member

I like how the Bison is both unique yet relatively subtle (when compared to some of their other exotics)

I've asked Kyle at Baker's to send me some leather samples which will hopefully help me decide!

Jeremy