1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. chicken1616

chicken1616 Well-Known Member

I think if your goal is comfortable break in, the CXL and 269 is the way to go.

2. chicken1616

chicken1616 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  3. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

4. LeftysRock

LeftysRock Member

I am looking at the Centennial Hiker. In need of a boot to take on upcoming backpacking trips next summer. Anyone have experience with these? What about hiking in SD's that have an aggressive sole? I have a pair of 8" rebuilt smoke jumpers but worried they are too heavy for long mountain hiking.

5. trvlr472

trvlr472 Well-Known Member

I went through the exact same thing with my oil finish CWB's. I tightened them to get rid of heel slip and suffered. What I eventually found myself doing was re-tying the boots a few times every day. Your foot gets bigger as the day goes on. I never really found just one way to lace/tighten them up. I just had to keep re-tying them as the day went on. I did find that if I just laced them without pulling the laces snug until I got above the ankle it helped quite abit on some days but basically, i just sucked it up for months. Mine are almost a year old and have been worn ALOT. They are still somewhat stiff up around the ankle but getting more and more comfy by the week. I figure another few months and they just might be there.

As far as getting the wax off? Obenhaufs makes a leather cleaner that will most probably work. Other than that you can just wash them in a tub of water with dish washing soap and a wash cloth then rinse them off real good. That will definitely take the wax off especially if you use Dawn. Then just wait until they are damp and apply a couple coats of Obenhaufs LP LP absorbs into the leather even better when the leather is damp because the pores are open. I Obenhaufed both my pairs when I first got them and then again after a couple of months but never really could tell of it made any real difference in the break in. I've oiled them a few times as well.

The other thing I've done while breaking them in is bend them a lot while I'm wearing them by kneeling down (ouch, when they were new) and walking up and down stairs as much as I could. Deep knee bends with them on works quite well. I've still got a slight amount of heel slip in mine but it's not objectionable at all. It depends on whether or not I get them laced just right or not and which socks I'm wearing.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  6. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

James, I`d try and wear them for only a few hours at a time, and see if it`s heading in the right direction. But two months does seem long for a break in. My feeling is that you`ll need some professional advise, not sure why the boots are that different from the shoe, apart from the heel cup you mention. Maybe thats the key - apart from the help cup there may be other issues. I`m a believer they should fit close to perfect on day one, but may take time to get flexible - but seems to me you are encountering other fit issues than you may be aware of...

7. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Well-Known Member

The swing lasted SD's fit my foot well from the middle of the foot forward, but the 54 oxford last is perfect everywhere. They are quite different not just in appearance but in heel to toe fit as well. The 54 is much snugger in the heel and wraps up over the heel to the ankle. You really have to pull the laces apart wide and use a shoe horn to get into them and you feel locked in-unsettling at first but comforting after you wear them. Plus the arch is high, heel is high, and toe box is low and wide (I have fairly flat feet so the arch took some getting used to but feels like a massage now with every step, kind of nice).

I agree though that I should wear the SD's for shorter durations, 14 hours in any new shoes is gonna be a trial, especially if they are as stiff as these. My hope is as the midsole gets more flexible the heel slip will subside, and I won't have to lace them as snugly.....the pain just sucks.

James

8. cwmi

cwmi Well-Known Member

Got these last week, took just a little over 6 weeks. My other pairs of White's are all SD's so I decided to go with something different. So far I'm very pleased with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. climbinglife

climbinglife Well-Known Member

10. breck81

breck81 Well-Known Member

11. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

My White's BHs in Distressed Smooth after a couple weeks in Europe (and a whole bunch prior to that). Walked all day everyday, and between these and my Nick's (dark olive CXL), I had zero blistering. These really are my favorite boots I've ever owned.

Album

12. cwmi

cwmi Well-Known Member

The pics aren't showing are they ? I tried from my mobile and tablet and can't get the links to work right from photobucket. I have no access to photobucket here at work on my desktop so I can't see if they are showing or not. I apologize, If I could delete the post I would.

13. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Well-Known Member

@cathpah the pic link is working. Are these the distressed BH you had Baker's apply a "light brown" or clear edge dressing to?

14. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

Nope...that's just natural/clear with a lot of wear.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  15. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

16. linafelt

linafelt Well-Known Member

Nice, remind me of some two-tone Vibergs that they offered for a while.

17. spurs61

spurs61 Well-Known Member

OK, Xmas boots ordered - though maybe they won't arrive till after. Went for SD in dress brown, 269 sole, brass eyelets, standard heel, etc. Thanks guys for the help!

1 person likes this.
  18. stfugbtw

stfugbtw Member

Unbelievably, I just received shipping notification from Baker's. That's 3 weeks to the day since the order was submitted. It's a pretty basic build - brown smooth Bounty Hunter - but a weird size - 8.5FF. Regardless, I'm really surprised how quick that was. I was wondering if I'd get them by Christmas.

Here's the build:

1×​
    Baker's Custom Bounty Hunter by White's Boots
    • Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
    • Counter Leather: Brown Smooth
    • Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Smooth
    • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Smooth
    • Leather Liner: Red
    • Lace Design: Plain Toe
    • Pull Loops: No Thanks
    • Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
    • Toe Cap: No Thanks
    • Toe Cap Leather Color: Does not apply
    • Steel Toe: No Thanks
    • Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks
    • Height: 6"
    • Top: Rolled Top
    • Midsole: Single
    • Edge: Brown
    • Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
    • Heel Lifts: 1/4" Lower
    • Sole: Commando Mini Lug Half Sole
    • Size - Length: 8.5
    • Size - Width: FF (widest)

I'll post pics when they arrive.

19. jrosenthal

A classic, congrats.

James

20. jrosenthal

Awesome! I have a feeling that they have some uppers precut in standard leathers, like your brown smooth. Could explain why some come faster than others. I think Gregor is still waiting on that Komodo dragon. James