• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, yeah these are wesco. And yeah, I'm sure I've had a post flagged for my heel height taunting :D (my apologies if I've offended any of you- I'm such a hypocrite). To be fair and fully disclosed, I totally and completely think there is room for both. I do, however, love to stoke the fire on that topic :p

Last edited:

dsthompson

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the classic work boot differs from the bounty hunter? In looking at pictures, I'm struggling to pick up on the differences. Any thoughts on which model (semi dress, classic work boot, or bounty hunter 6") would best compliment distressed smooth leather with a block heel and vibram 430 sole, lowered by a 1/4 inch, worn by a guy that doesn't do much actual work, apart from the occasional light hike with his boys and work around the yard?

Feel like all the choices that come with fully customizable boots are driving me crazy!

trvlr472

Reaction score
Quote: Awesome because I've been driving the same '73 Caddy Coupe DeVille for the last 18 years. I bet I'll get 20mpg with Huberd's!
lol8[1].gif

trvlr472

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the classic work boot differs from the bounty hunter? In looking at pictures, I'm struggling to pick up on the differences. Any thoughts on which model (semi dress, classic work boot, or bounty hunter 6") would best compliment distressed smooth leather with a block heel and vibram 430 sole, lowered by a 1/4 inch, worn by a guy that doesn't do much actual work, apart from the occasional light hike with his boys and work around the yard?

Feel like all the choices that come with fully customizable boots are driving me crazy!

I have a pair of CWB's and from what White's say's on their website it's the same boot with a roomier last than the Farmer Rancher and a shorter height. From what I have read the Bounty Hunter is an SJ with a different sole than the lugged sole. It might have the SD last as well but I'm not sure.

I could be mistaken so you'd better wait for replies from the experts.

trvlr472

Reaction score
Thx for the comments bros! These are packers on the motor patrol last, 7" height, 269 outsoles, natural midsoles (single) and heel (standard), brass eyelets and hooks, and black tie leather. Basically, a poor man's flightmaster with natural stained trim. If you're looking for a boot with the refinement of the 2030 last but still retaining the ruggedness of an American workbook this is the one for you

Here's a top profile

And heel (not for the wussy lowered block heel type
tongue.gif
wink.gif
)

Those are beautiful, Ewing. Damn, it makes me want a pair of Wesco's.

andy b.

Reaction score

Guys definitely think too much about all of this. :D
If you don't want an exposed heel counter, you want the SD, if you want the exposed heel counter, you want any of the other White's boots.
The BH is the SJ on the SD last.
For a given size, the look and top profile of the boot is more affected by close trim versus standard trim. I doubt many people could tell one last from another if they were the same boot, in the same size, with the same sole trim. I have Three pairs of White's in three different lasts and the only difference I can tell in any of them is the Packers have the Thoroughbred pointed toe, otherwise they all look like "workboots".

My only concern would be if I had a foot that required a wider toe in relation to the heel, in which case I would contact Kyle at Baker's and tell him and he'll tell you which last would be best.

I have seen distressed smooth leather in every style and they all look good, so I can't see where that would be a major influence in your decision.

My only personal choice would be that the block heel looks better with the SD, but that is personal preference. I like anything that looks more like a "workboot" to have the standard White's heel.

climbinglife

Reaction score
Everything Andy said is right on! The thing with the CWB last or the C461 last to be exact is according to Kyle, it is the most roomy toe box of all the lasts Whites has, and that the toe is slightly more upturned, which is something that is appealing to me.

cathpah

Reaction score
Haha, yeah these are wesco. And yeah, I'm sure I've had a post flagged for my heel height taunting
biggrin.gif
(my apologies if I've offended any of you- I'm such a hypocrite). To be fair and fully disclosed, I totally and completely think there is room for both. I do, however, love to stoke the fire on that topic
tongue.gif
Ha. If people are actually flagging a post about your obviously jocular tone about the shape of a boot heel, I do believe they need to get a hobby.

Thanks for the info on the Wescos. Without going too far into it (or maybe you should), which brand of PNW/Canadian boot do you prefer overall? I just got my first pair of Nick's (which are beautiful), but I haven't owned them long enough to really be able to judge anything about them, and I've never owned a pair of Wescos.

dsthompson

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone----all of this information is immensely helpful. I've sent my tracings and measurements in to Kyle, so once he receives them I'll check in to see which last best fits my foot shape. I do have a pretty wide foot (I've tried on the SD in a local shop, and the toe box was pretty snug in the correct length), so the CWB might actually be a good fit for me.

It's great to have this forum to reach out to, as my wife has gotten pretty tired of my constant questions about boot options; that being said, I'm sure the same could be said of a lot of y'all checking this thread to see actual photos of beautiful boots. I can promise, though, that photos will be forthcoming once I've gotten these things built and in my hands.

Also, regarding the recent discussion above, the fact that there even exists a forum where a 1/4" difference in heel height on a boot can inspire such impassioned discourse is a clear indicator that I have found my people...

cathpah

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone----all of this information is immensely helpful. I've sent my tracings and measurements in to Kyle, so once he receives them I'll check in to see which last best fits my foot shape. I do have a pretty wide foot (I've tried on the SD in a local shop, and the toe box was pretty snug in the correct length), so the CWB might actually be a good fit for me.

It's great to have this forum to reach out to, as my wife has gotten pretty tired of my constant questions about boot options; that being said, I'm sure the same could be said of a lot of y'all checking this thread to see actual photos of beautiful boots. I can promise, though, that photos will be forthcoming once I've gotten these things built and in my hands.

Also, regarding the recent discussion above, the fact that there even exists a forum where a 1/4" difference in heel height on a boot can inspire such impassioned discourse is a clear indicator that I have found my people...
You're home now.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info on the Wescos.  Without going too far into it (or maybe you should), which brand of PNW/Canadian boot do you prefer overall?  I just got my first pair of Nick's (which are beautiful), but I haven't owned them long enough to really be able to judge anything about them, and I've never owned a pair of Wescos.

I can't fully answer that because I have only briefly owned some Nicks (a second hand pair in cognac bull hide that didn't fit quite right so they had to go) and have never touched a pair of Vibergs.

But between wesco and whites, I'd say the wescos seem the better crafted boot (better qc standards, full stitch down, smaller factory, etc). But I find whites arch ease to be more comfortable. My next pair without question will be some Nicks (yours are just too damn badass!!)

Everyone's got their opinion on this, but most people I talk to seem to rank the Pac NW boots as follows: Viberg, WESCO, Nick's, and then White's.

NNNN

Reaction score
Haha, a more attentive husband for one
biggrin.gif

Apart from my disinterest in participating in a lot of the ridiculousness here of late, there's the fact that my boot collection has pretty much hit critical mass (upon delivery of some wesco packers). I've told myself I need to slow my roll; these forums are like a recovering alcoholic walking into a bar!

Btw here's the last straw pair

I've always loved the Wesco Packers, especially the MP Toe. This is almost exactly the same way that I'd build a pair! I just can't get past all the nickel-and-dime charges for every little customization. I'm sure I've griped about this here before, probably to b-ewing. Everything from changing their standard brown stitching to picking leather laces instead of nylon...it really adds up. Last I checked, they didn't have an option on the site for 7" height or any different last options for the Packer boot. I don't really want to know how much more they charge for that. Nonetheless, those are gorgeous!

LouieBailie

Reaction score
Everything Andy said is right on! The thing with the CWB last or the C461 last to be exact is according to Kyle, it is the most roomy toe box of all the lasts Whites has, and that the toe is slightly more upturned, which is something that is appealing to me.

Whites also has access to the Munson (US ARMY) or minimalist lasts for real large foot boxes

see explanation and desc of them here:http://www.russellmoccasin.com/minimalist-footwear/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads