1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Certifiedinsane

Certifiedinsane New Member

[​IMG]
    Brown dress leather

1 person likes this.
  2. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

well this has been a weird last few pages. Not sure why Mr. Unicorn needs to be so confrontational. There are many ways to make the same points in a much more civilized manner

3. sleepy94

sleepy94 Well-Known Member

Quality issues happen and from the looks of things when these issues arise White's has been quite helpful in fixing the issues. These are handcrafted boots. These are not machine made, mass produced, disposalbe footwear. When we pay $400 handcrafted boots there will be flaws because they were made by hand and made to work boot standards, meaning these were meant to be comfortable to work in all day and sustain any abuse your workplace can throw at them. if you want flawless you start getting into the viberg price range and beyond and what you are paying for is fasion and artistry, nothing wrong with these things, just held to a different standard. White's produces an incredible product for good value. After 3-4 years of very hard use mine are finally ready for a resole. that is $100 a year for boots that will go another 5 years at least. how many mass produced pair of shoes can take 4 years of beating, look better than when they were new and after a resole be ready for more service and comfort. This is what white's, nick's, wesco, viberg, danner, and others do. They pay their workers a craftsman's wage, they use high quality materials and they produce quality footwear. if you want more than this, ie perfection there are brands in Japan that can do this but i am guessing that people will complain about the ever so slight flaws and barely visible variations in their $1000 work boots.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. westie187

westie187 Well-Known Member

5. westie187

westie187 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

6. StyleGN

StyleGN New Member

As many before me, I've thoroughly read this thread planning my order. Yet, I still have some questions.

Here's the first. What is the prevailing opinion on the boot liner? Does it work better for some leather types? How much weight does the liner adds? Are the lined boots more suitable for cold weather?

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  7. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

I don't expect a perfect boot. I expect a boot that is at least finished properly. That's not too much to ask, is it? I don't care if there are slight variations, or small issues, but a blatant issue like that is problematic.

I'm all for excusing minor issues as wabi sabi and part of the handcrafted procecss, but a blatantly obvious issue like that should not have left the workshop

8. andy b.

andy b. Well-Known Member

Look at the shine on those bad boys! That cost more than three packs of smokes!

Seriously, nice looking pair of boots!

9. andy b.

Certain leathers require a lining because they are less stiff than others. Bullhide for example, requires a lining. My BHs have Bullhide uppers, and the leather is far from delicate, it just isn't as stiff as some of the standard black and brown leathers. I don't see the lining making the boot much warmer (I don't think it does), but it may make the leather less breathable in summer. I wear my BHs all year round, so I don't really notice much difference compared to pairs of unlined White's that I have.

I have no idea how much weight the liner adds. Compared to the pounds of leather and sole already in the boots, probably not very much. :D

I don't see that much of an advantage to the liner (other than for the less stiff leathers), but I think it does look nice. That's half the reason for getting it, right? ;)

10. b-ewing

b-ewing Well-Known Member

Feelin lazy- anyone know the thickness and/or weight of the cxl White's uses?

11. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

5.5 oz is what I was told.

12. b-ewing

b-ewing Well-Known Member

13. ben2t

ben2t Well-Known Member

No hate, but this $70 boots with the same care and abuse will last as my other boots, and mind you this are very comfy boots. Not sure though if this can be resoled and if it does then i will send this to Brianthebootmaker when that time comes.
    [​IMG]

14. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

Sorry, but no. I thoroughly disagree that $70 chippewas will last as long as $400 White's. If that were the case, then why would non-fashion-conscious firemen/smokejumpers/farmers/etc spend all that money on White's? There are significant differences in materials, construction, and craftsmanship.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. ben2t

ben2t Well-Known Member

I respect that!

1 person likes this.
  16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

A lot of it has to do with the construction of the sole. Many a rookie wildland firefighter has tried to cheap it, and found their boots warped and even melted.

17. ohiorick

ohiorick Member

White's web page says it best.
    Otto White's desire was a simple one: Make the finest work boots in the world! This single-minded ambition drove Otto to excell at his craft. His insistence on quality infected the workers of his growing business too, and the White's reputation grew with every pair of boots that came out of the shop.
    The hard bitten Northwest loggers became White's Boots biggest fans. They were tough on boots, but they had never seen anything like the tough as nails boots that Otto and his crew put together.
    The durability of White's Boots, their incredible "Arch-Ease" support and Otto's pride in his product, gave White's Boots a reputation that is the envy of boot manufacturers everywhere. Otto White remained active in the shop until his death at age 91 in 1972.
    Because of Otto's unbending standards of quality and his ability to train others, by instilling in them the same pride of craftsmanship, the quality and tradition of White's Boots continues today. When you come to own a pair of White's, you'll sense that these are no ordinary boots. They are made of the very finest materials in the world and built with skills passed down through generations of craftsmen who are proud of the name .
    During it's over 100-year history, White's has maintained an unwavering focus on quality in the boots that it builds and the service that it provides. Today we still build our boots one at a time by hand for one simple reason, to ensure that our customers enjoy the finest boots made anywhere in the world. We know that's a strong claim but it's one that we gladly back every day by continuing to use only the finest materials, designs, and craftsmanship.

Lots of customers buy from White's because they have this "unwavering focus on quality in the boots " as stated above.

18. StyleGN

StyleGN New Member

Do any other leather types work better with a liner?

19. andy b.

I don't think one type of leather works better with a lining than others. I just think for certain types White's REQUIRES the lining.

Like I said, I only have the Bullhide BHs with the lining. I like the lining, but I don't know if it has any advantages or disadvantages other than stiffening some of the softer leathers. I think it looks good though. I was going to get my 10" SmokeJumpers lined, but I added so many options the cost was already increasing so I just left them unlined.

20. adschu

adschu Well-Known Member

I've been wearing a pair of White's for about three months now (maybe a month of wear overall?), and I'm still having a lot of trouble with the break in process--they're tight enough on the right foot that there's a bit of pain putting them on and some throughout the day. Is this normal (ie should I keep working on them), or should I cut my losses and sell?

Thanks!