1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ohiorick

ohiorick Member

Here are a few more shots. Standard heel, standard trim. Black and burgundy chrome excel. Natural edge. I was not so sure of the colors , but they are growing on me. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. andy b.

andy b. Well-Known Member

The instep/arch area on White's should be tight initially. Not painful, but much tighter than most footwear you are probably used to. If you have a high arch it will make it even tighter. It will loosen over time. And that build looks great! I like the two-tone with toe cap.

3. ohiorick

ohiorick Member

Andy b,
    They fit just fine. My problem is getting my foot into them. It is a tight squeeze to get my foot (instep) to start into the boot as there is very little room. I am pushing my foot between the top back of the boot and the tongue. Once my instep gets past that , its good. Seems like if the tongue was just a little more bellowed, more leather, I could slide right in.

4. RickyTylerson

RickyTylerson Well-Known Member

5. trvlr472

trvlr472 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it's a White's boots thing. I just bought a pair of Classic Work Boots a couple of months ago and I have low arches and fairly wide feet. The left boot my foot slips into with just a little push. The right one is a serious wrestling match but it is loosening up. Slowly but surely. The Classic's seemed to be getting pretty good and then I wore my Smokejumpers for 3 days which I'm still breaking in also and when I went back to the Classics they were tight all over again.

They fit fine once my foot is in them. It's taking quite a while to break them in. The brown oil finish is obviously some tough leather and I had them lined on top of that. The very top around the ankle is where the real discomfort comes from on the left one since they don't flex very much due to the new leather but that has been getting better as well.

Just keep wearing them as much as you can stand it. They'll start getting better.

6. trvlr472

By the way, Ohio. Those are some real nice looking boots. I need to stay away from this forum because all it does is make me want another pair and after forking over the dough for two pairs of White's a couple months ago along with a pair of Sorell's I just can't do any more boots for a while.

7. univibe88

univibe88 Well-Known Member

No kidding! This forum is a bad influence!

8. andy b.

Nope, I know just what you mean. That is about normal. It will stretch. I'm not sure if it is related to boot height or not, but it seemed worse on my 6" BHs versus my SJs and Packers which are both 10" height. I don't know why the tongue would be different, as I would just think on a shorter boot it would be the same only shorter. Then again, there seems to be a good bit of variability on White's products. I can't fault them because the boots are leather, and they are mostly handmade. It isn't like they are stamping out molded Crocs by the billions.

9. ohiorick

ohiorick Member

Here is a photo that may clear up what I am asking. [​IMG]

10. trvlr472

My right boot does the same exact thing but it is getting better.. As long as you're foot fits well once it's in there I wouldn't worry about it. Mine are getting easier to put on the more I wear them. I know what you're talking about though. My right one was "almost" impossible to get my foot into when it was new.

11. Warpiper

Warpiper Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with both pairs. I was afraid when i first tried them on that I wouldn't be able to wear them. Don't worry, it will get better.

12. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

My White's are fine to get into, but my RW Beckmans were really tough to get into at first. They're fine now, so I'm sure yours will be fine with some time.

13. Schucknasty

Schucknasty Active Member

Have you tried foot binding?

[​IMG]

Supposedly clears up any issues with flat feet, as well.

I kid.

14. mike fite

mike fite Active Member

just bought a pair of White's brown semi dress at imogene+willie here in nashville and i wear a normal 13 but i bought 12's they fit fine and are nice a not too snug. I'm sure the break in period will take a bit but the arch ease in the right foot seems a bit more intense than the left. I'm hoping my right foot will for more to the arch ease as everyone says i will! [​IMG]
    also have alden indy boots 405 and 403 as well as a few pair of Trickers. these fit like a glove and i really can't wait till they break in

1 person likes this.
  15. rutabaga

rutabaga Well-Known Member

May I suggest wearing wool socks instead of cotton socks. The fit will be better and more comfortable because the sock won't be compressed as much due to moisture while you wear.

3 people like this.
  16. mike fite

mike fite Active Member

I'm afraid wearing wool socks might make the fit way to tight? Or would that just help with them breaking in comfortably

17. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Wearing wool socks in boots is way more comfortable over the long term, so you may as well start breaking them in that way now.

18. rutabaga

rutabaga Well-Known Member

Wool socks come in all kinds of thicknesses. You can buy a range of Smart Wool, Darn Tough, Kirkland (yes, CostCo brand!), and Wigwam -- to start-- in lightweight, medium weight, heavy weight and other configurations and see which feels best and fits best for the boots you have.

2 people like this.
  19. andy b.

You can get wool socks that are as thin or thinner than plain white athletic socks. As others have said, wool is MUCH more comfortable. It absorbs moisture, and in the winter will keep you warm, and in summer keep you cooler. You want to look for socks with the highest wool content you can find. Most lightweight wool will be limited to 50% or so, but you can find heavyweight wool up to 90%. In your case you'd want the lightweight, but I'm just sayin'.

20. ojaw

ojaw Well-Known Member

As far as socks go I've worn nothing but wool for the last 35 years; as a teen I got sick of socks that would chill me to the bone, stink and remain wet for hours on end. I went with wool and have never looked back, but the real benefits only accrue (in my experience) when the percentage is at least 70.