1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. b-ewing

b-ewing Well-Known Member

Love these; very similar profile to the Wesco Flightmasters, which are built on the Motor Patrol last.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perhaps these White's are built on the same last as packers?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member

I've always liked the idea of an SD or BH on the packer last, but the packer has one of the tallest heels, and even lowered 1/4" it would still be pretty tall. The nice part about the Wesco MP last is that its heel is naturally 1/2" lower than their Western last, which is like White's Packer.

On a side note, what's up with Wesco charging for every little customization?

Roughout = $40
    Double midsole = $40
    Comp. Half Sole = $40
    Leather Lining = $99

They even charge $40 to use thread that's not brown, which is why those black Firemasters have brown thread.

3. b-ewing

It's so true; my MP engineers ended up running me about 7bills after all was said and done. That said they're way the hell cooler than Nomads IMHO :)

4. EgliComet

EgliComet Well-Known Member

Got a pic? I'm thinking about a pair of Wescos.

5. b-ewing

Here ya go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. EgliComet

EgliComet Well-Known Member

Are those MP toe? Very nice.

7. b-ewing

Thx, man. i love em. were uncomfortable as hell at first (the toe box is insanely flat).

yes, MP toes. Addl build details: no celastic, standard Boss heel, 10" height, double midsole with 705 half soles, 2" extra length on instep strap, custom roller buckles, standard black steer

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  8. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member

Those look great! That $ though... I remember someone here a while back saying he got a custom last made from White's because of an unusually narrow heel. I wonder if you could buy a custom last shaped more like the MP Toe. They'd only have to make the one, in your size, and you could reuse it for subsequent makeups.

9. the shivman

the shivman Well-Known Member

I don't see why they couldn't do a 6" boot on a packer last.

10. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

Lovely b-ewing! Anyone have comparisons to the Whites Nomad? Also, whats the Wesco square toe called? Would be great to have a few more options on the nomad...

11. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

I'm all ready to place my order...just waiting on White's to get back to me on sizing. I was all set to order my Bounty Hunters in distressed smooth, but then I was reminded of my first in-person encounter with White's, at Grahame Fowler in NYC. I believe they're the "standard" makeup for brick and mortar stores, and it's a really dark brown (almost black). I called White's to ask which leather that is, and he couldn't tell me for sure, but told me it was their "dark brown leather" and said it was chrome-tanned. When I look at the site, all I see is Dark Brown French Calf. Does that sound right to you guys?

Here's the link to Grahame Fowler (but their photos are really, really bad) and here's a link to what I think is the same boot at Imogene + Willie.

12. the shivman

the shivman Well-Known Member

Those have brown dress leather.

1 person likes this.
  13. cathpah

To be clear/sure, that's a really dark brown leather (almost black), right?

14. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

15. 7018

7018 Active Member

For all my boots, I toss the leather laces and go with paracord. You can find 50ft rolls of it at hardware stores for ~$10 and you can make the laces whatever length you want. It also comes in just about any color you could want.

16. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Yeah. Very versatile color.
    More depth than black, particularly after wear!
    Had a pair, sold em (were slightly too large - before I figured out my size), bought a pair back a few months ago and have worn them regularly since.

17. cathpah

I finally placed my order tonight (thanks to everyone here, Kyle at Bakers, and Mark at White's), so now the waiting game begins.

At the last minute I almost went with the brown dress leather, but because I'm buying these to work in (architectural photographer who works in muck/nasty conditions outside) and because I'm buying them specifically for support (blew out my ankle on the top of a mountain last year...had to walk down a boulder field to get out, which certainly didn't help the damage done), Kyle advised me to go with something thicker than the dress brown, even over the dress brown with lining.

My boot is as follows:

9" Smokejumper on Semi-Dress last (Bounty Hunter)
    distressed smooth throughout
    single midsole w/ natural edge
    Vibram 430
    block heel lowered by 1/4"
    antique hooks and eyes
    single celastic
    plain toe
    cut top
    pull loop

Now I wait. Patience is not my strong suit, but I'm also waiting on a Teranishi Daytripper bag, also slated for 6 weeks...so late Jan/Early Feb should be great.

1 person likes this.
  18. 4characters

4characters Well-Known Member

Custom White’s boots just ordered!
    I’m very excited!

Specs:
    Custom White's Smoke Jumper
    Counter Leather Brown Smooth, Hardware Brass Eyes & Hooks, Celastic Toe Box No Thanks, Height 10", Last Standard, Steel Toe No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Smooth, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Smooth, Top Cut Top (standard), Midsole Single, Leather Liner Cream, Size - Width D (medium), Lace Design Lace to Toe, Sole Vibram 700, Toe Cap Leather Color Does not apply, Edge Brown, Size - Length 10

1 person likes this.
  19. b-ewing

4Cs, congrats! sounds like a really cool build. I'm especially looking forward to seeing what the standard SJ in the lace to toe pattern looks lie with a non-reinforced toe box. Merry early Xmas to you

20. 4characters

4characters Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’ll have to go “all 4c” and post a ton of pictures….[​IMG]