1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. meso

meso Well-Known Member

The cordo #8 is sick as hell but for over a G I can hold back.

2. b-ewing

b-ewing Well-Known Member

Not in the market for $1k boots that's for sure. Looking for horse strip, which is neither shell nor FQHH; sort or a poor mans shell.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. 4characters

4characters Well-Known Member

Really? Sounds awesome! I’ve never heard of that, I’ll have to do some digging.
    thanks for bringing it up

4. 4characters

Update: This is really interesting...

[​IMG]

"The strip and the shells are pure vegetable pit tannages, and the horsefront can be tanned either with or without chrome – note: horsefront a.k.a. front quarter horsehide (FQHH), double horsefront (DHF), and single horsefront (SHF). The strip (a.k.a. bark strip, russet horsehide strip, natural horsebutt strip, north of cordovan, and others) is thick relative to the front, and typically ranges from 4 – 10 oz, or 1.6 mm to 4 mm. This is great leather, though it’s a little funky to work with due to the shape(Horween)."

"The shell has no grain, the strip in the center has very pronounced and coarse grain, and the two steerhide examples have very fine, but still very pronounced grain. These are all full grain products (Horween)."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. b-ewing

You can find examples of SDs in strip sold to the Japanese market. Not sure what it costs but I'm all but certain the stuff Bakers is marketing is not strip- not that it's bad per se, just not necessarily what I'm wishing for. (Probably gonna stick with steer in the end)

6. 4characters

Perfect matchy, +1 for the British tan
    Nice jacket by the way[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. b-ewing

8. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

So did b-ewing decide on bison?!? :stirpot:

9. PASstudy

PASstudy Well-Known Member

Boots came in last Friday 8/23. Ordered from White's directly on July 12. Americana Semi-dress in Red Milano WB.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy the boots so far. They feel great, not has heavy as I expected.. Not a big fan of the laces so I'm planning to switch them out for some brown dress laces.

1 person likes this.
  10. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Well-Known Member

The darkest brown will be much more classy...

11. 4characters

Congrats, they look great~!

12. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

Nice boots

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  13. 4characters

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  14. aaronjared

aaronjared Active Member

Hey guys, first time poster. I am zeroing in on a boot build for a pair of Bounty Hunters from Baker's. This is what I have come up with:

Counter Leather British Tan, Celastic Toe Box No Thanks, Height 6", Midsole Single, Heel Base Standard, Last Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter), Steel Toe No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather British Tan, Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Toe Vamp Leather British Tan, Top Cut Top (standard), HardwareAntique Eyes & Hooks, Leather Liner Brown, Pull Loops No Thanks, Size - Width C, Lace Design Plain Toe, Sole Commando Mini Lug Half Sole, Toe Cap Leather Color British Tan, Edge Brown, Heel Lifts 1/4" Lower

The final piece is to decide if I want a celastic toe or to go without. I haven't been able to find anything in the entire thread discussing this topic. I currently have a pair of the vintage work boots which I do use for work, with the soft toe and I love them. I definitely want a cap toe for my dressier pair, but is the celastic toe necessary to hold the boot's shape? Or is the extra leather from the cap enough to maintain it?

My work pair after a bit of a cleanup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. 4characters

Welcome to the White’s boots thread. I almost got that exact boots you have; I must say yours are looking great..

From my understanding the White’s Vintage boots are pretty much a more basic production (not all hand-made) version of the bounty hunter.

Your configuration sounds pretty good. Your toes look excellent; a cap-toe Bounty Hunter would be pretty similar. If you like your current toe than you should be just fine with the same in the BH.

16. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Are you now obsessed with White's boots instead of GMO cotton?
    (I ask with some trepidation...)

17. 4characters

You misunderstand me sir, I’m obsessed with quality.

18. b-ewing

6" cap toe no celastic BHs in british tan sound f^cking sick! Been debating cap toes sans the celastic for a long minute now (check back in this thread and you'll see). Get em and let me know your thoughts ;)

Haha, not so fast my friend. British tan- 98.9% sure :p

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  19. Okal

Okal Well-Known Member

British Tan is really nice. One of my favorites. You'll love it. Some people have problems with water spotting, but I think a good initial coating with Obenauf's LP would solve the problem, even though it might darken the leather some. Slightly darker looks good to me also.

Allan

20. EastWestApparel

EastWestApparel Well-Known Member

Aaronjared, go with the non celastic, just put an order in for non celastic caps and if the leather is a thick enough one the toe will look great! Nice profile.

Are your current boots CXL? The leather on them looks great worn in, v nice!