• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the shivman

Reaction score
Wouldn't engineer boots be better for riding since they don't have laces?

univibe88

Reaction score
Oh boy, this could go down a rat hole. But I am happy to entertain the subject. I will say this first - riding gear is highly personal and subjective. Anything that I say is my opinion what I find works for me.

Despite engineer boots reputation as motorcycle boots, I find them to be horrible riding boots. They are prone to slip off in an accident and don't have very good ankle support. I have rolled my ankle while riding with them because of lack of support.

I agree with you that the laces aren't ideal, but SJs will provide much better ankle support and when laced up tight won't be going anywhere in an accident.

Most purpose built riding boots have latches. They are secure, don't come unlaced and offer great support. But they are ugly and often uncomfortable for wearing around off the bike. I'll still wear my proper latching boots most of the time. But for commuting, sturdy lace up SJs that I can wear wall day are a good compromise for me.

Okal

Reaction score
After that review of your horse hide SDs, Jack, I am thrilled with my decision to order some. Now I understand why you decided to order a second pair. That is something I will consider too. I'll have to see how my first pair fits, feels and looks, but if I like them as much as you do, I will get a second pair, although probably in the black HH and maybe in a somewhat different configuration. Then I'll look at getting some Packers and maybe some SJs. I'm pretty excited about the prospect of the Packers also since that is a boot I can wear for western dress and as a work boot.

Allan

Last edited:

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can get the close trim with double welt stitching? Or does close trim basically mean single welt stitching only?

Okal

Reaction score
From the folks at White's and Baker's, there is no real reason to have double stitching on the Semi Dress boots except for the appearance. Choose the look you like best, because strength and durability are not factors either way.

Allan

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any photos of "dark brown fench calf" vs "brown french calf"? I can't find the "brown french calf" examples anywhere...

andy b.

Reaction score

double looks bad ass, single is for pansies.

:laugh:
I like the look of the double myself, but I think the close/single looks good on the SD. It's like the heels, some guys like the block heel, some like the Cuban/curved heel. The cool thing is White's will make them any way you want. :)

Last edited:

EastWestApparel

Reaction score
Hi all, has anybody get and pics/ experience of SD's/ SJ's in suede/ roughout without celastic toes, so a soft toe? Rare I know and they may not work but fancy the idea for myself and stock. Cheers J.

urbanswoodsman

Reaction score
Blaster,

Maybe it's a mistake?

Check this out. I received two Whites leather samples(one got lost and reappeared in the mail) direct from Whites.

These are the same leather(same color/texture/thickness)but labeled different. I know it's not FC but maybe Brown FC and Dark Brown FC are just the same ****.

utugaser.jpg

cwmi

Reaction score
How do you get samples ? I'm trying to decide my next build. I'm pretty sure I want to go with brown Bison but want the toe cap a slightly darker color.. Don't know if brown HH, brown CXL or if possible brown cordovan would be slightly on the darker side. I've been thru this entire thread several times and it's just hard to tell thru pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads