1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Curious about some jackets i found

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aybojs, Jul 7, 2004.

1. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

I was checking out a Goodwill today and saw a few sportcoats that caught my eye. The fabric wasn't especially nice, but the jackets were canvas front and had lots of details generally reserved for high end suits: quarter lining, neapolitan roll on lapels (3 buttons, lapel rolls down to second), working button holes on the sleeves, working lapel button hole. I looked inside for identifying labels but I couldn't find anything except a small white tag inside one of the chest pockets that just said "Lopez Hnos, Madrid." I didn't recognize the maker (or whether this tag even referred to the maker), so I was curious if anyone here knew anything. One of them came on a Neiman Marcus hanger, although that just might be a mismatch. I would have bought the jackets and included pics but the sleeves were too short for me to wear them, and I didn't feel like spending the $15/piece.

2. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

Sounds like some jackets made by a tailor in Madrid. Were there any dates on the labels? How old do you think they might have been?

3. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

Yeah, the best explanation I could come with was that they were bespoke/made to measure by some random Spanish tailor; just wanted to see if anyone could shed more light. There wasn't much to go by in terms of tags, I just saw that one tag with the name I mentioned above and nothing else. I'm not good with telling the age of suits, but the jackets seemed pretty well-worn, so maybe I'd throw out ~10 years, but only off complete speculation. Wish I could provide more details.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

the 'hnos' is short for hermanos which means 'brothers'. so the label says 'lopez bros. madrid'. i did a web search and found a men's clothing store in madrid called "hnos lopez s.l." their phone number is: 915 415 832

5. brescd01

brescd01 Well-Known Member