1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cultue of the South

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by nightowl6261a, Apr 2, 2005.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

(globetrotter @ April 26 2005,09:59)
    Compared with the Mongols, Sherman was a pussie cat. [​IMG]
    more importantly, sherman didn't allow his people to do anything that he felt wasn't specifically aimed at ending the war - Â rape, stealing for the sake of stealing, torture ect, were not tolerated. the mongols were a looting machine that just happened to win wars. sherman was a war winnng machine that used looting and the destruction of property as its primary weapon.
    Ghengis Kahn did a lot more good than Sherman. He gets a bad wrap because frankly all people know about him is that he created the largest empire ever. What most don't know is that he encouraged culture, language, allowed different religions to flourish etc... no one is contending that he wasn't a war monger, but many of his other endeavours were crucial to the development of civilization from the pacific to the black sea.
    your argument is not without merit. Sherman held together (or contributed greatly) the main power of the 19th and 20th centuries. there may not have been a US without Sherman and Grant. the mongols put together several very important central asian dynasites and contributed greatly to civillizaiton in that part of the world. india as we know it, russia as we know it, china, may all e different without the influences of the mongols. but, nobody is going to argue that they were nice people - by all of our standards the mongols were pretty evil.

2. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

There's a great piece about the Mongols in this week's New Yorker.

3. globetrotter

saw it, yes.

4. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I almost pissed myself laughing when he started in about Tamerlane.

5. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Oh, no--never. [​IMG]

6. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

Sherman didn't burn Macon because his West Point roommate was from there. Apocryphally, he didn't burn down Madison because a friend of mines great-great-great-grandmother met them at the edge of town with a plate of fried chicken.

7. globetrotter

bet that was some chicken [​IMG]

8. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

Speakin' of Fried Chicken and Chitlin's, in the USA Today today, a restaurant in Acworth (where I live) was written up, a lille French Bistro....we must be growin' round here.

9. globetrotter

chris,

don't even get me started on food in the greater atlanta region, I can feel my waist expanding just thinking about it...

10. nightowl6261a

And people think we can't cook down here.....jsut think, as I have mentioned before, if the whole country had the Varsity, we would be a more generously obese society.

11. globetrotter

the varsity is one thing, I was thinking about Q and 3 carbs as sides.

12. nightowl6261a

Don't get me going on the carbs thing, I will be fat again.

13. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

I never ate so well as in a'alana.  Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

edit: when the hell the new Grennies some in to Bennies?