• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crocodile watch band

Law stud

Reaction score
I've decided to buy a new croc band for my watch and found some on e-bay...anybody have had any experience with it? Where would you buy it?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided to buy a new croc band for my watch and found some on e-bay...anybody have had any experience with it?  Where would you buy it?
You talking about experiences with ebay, or experiences with watch bands?

If you're talking about ebay, just make sure that its real croc, and that the seller has a good feedback rating.

About the watch bands, crocodile is great, I don't care for plain leather straps, but I love Crocodile/Alligator/Ostrich/Lizard skin bands, just something about the texture. If you buy a quality band it will be durable and last you a while.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm...suggest you buy a glossy alligator band from a jewelry store, such as Betteridge's (CT) or similar fine jeweler. It really elevates a watch. I did the same thing with mine, by putting a fine black alligator band on it-- which made it look much more elegant and expensive.

Law stud

Reaction score
I am not sure whether real croc band can go through Canadian custom...and the bands I saw in stores are kinda crappy...look like pressed calf rather than real croc.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not sure whether real croc band can go through Canadian custom...and the bands I saw in stores are kinda crappy...look like pressed calf rather than real croc.
If the band is really crocodile or alligator, it will say so.

I know that getting any exotic leather (meaning anything other than calfskin) through US customs is not the easiest thing in the world. The US Fish and Wildlife service (not the Customs service; I don't know why) requires documentary proof that the leathers come from legal sources. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Canadian customs were as difficult or more so.

The thing of it is that almost all crocodile and alligator leather is produced from farm-raised animals. Its use does not threaten alligator or crocodile survival in the wild. In fact, the popularity of alligator leather is at least partially responsible for that animal's spectacular rebound over the last thirty or so years.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between 4 bands and hope some of you who are more knowledgeable on watches/straps/exotic skins can help. Any thoughts on these? Bamboo Patterned Genuine Crocodile (3mm padded)
18-black_croc_63_f_N.JPG
BLACK GENUINE CROCODILE band (3.5mm padded)
18-black_croc_82K_f.JPG
BLACK GENUINE CROCODILE band (3mm padded)
18-black_croc_90_f.JPG
Hadley Roma Selected Crocodile (padded)
7090.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer something not too shiny. I have mine made from Milennium Croc which is half matte.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I prefer something not too shiny. I have mine made from Milennium Croc which is half matte.
My shiny brown one because matte after about 4 months of wear. I just figured the glaze goes away on any crocodile if it's used. Neglecting the shine aspect, is one pattern better than the others? And is there a way to determine quality? Note that I didn't go to your friend Bea or ABP in France so I'm not expecting top notch quality here.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know. Whichever you like better, I guess. I prefer the smaller pattern.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go to Fredawatchstraps.com. They have plenty to choose from. From Hirsch to Hadley Roma to Di-Modell, which all make great quality croc strap for a different price ranges. I have dealt with them before with no complaints. Worth a look if you are looking for a watch strap.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Go to Fredawatchstraps.com. They have plenty to choose from. From Hirsch to Hadley Roma to Di-Modell, which all make great quality croc strap for a different price ranges. I have dealt with them before with no complaints. Worth a look if you are looking for a watch strap.

I'm po' at the moment so I just bought a calf skin alligator grain/pattern strap from these guys and I have to say that their service was excellent. Very quick shipping and they even included free spring bars and a mini spring bar tool.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently bought an Alligator strap from 'the watch boys' on ebay. I'm very happy with it. I think they offer a fantastic product, especially considering they only cost about $100.

I went for a matte finish, since its for a Panerai.

JohnD356

Reaction score
For really nice watch bands, check out http://stores.ebay.com/Rustwatch

I've bought a number of alligator bands from him over the past few years. The Hirsch Artisanal bands are some of the best to be had at any price. Really fine quality.

jc138

Reaction score
I picked up one from Banda, which I love. matte finish.

One point, the band is shorter than many I have seen, which works well for my wrists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads