• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones NYC - Lousy Experience

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

swiego

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Belgraves (full retail, sadly) at this store. The person helping me was Kevin, the store manager. This was in... September perhaps.

Overall experience was pleasant. I am not sure how I was dressed; jeans, some dress shoes, carrying lots of bags. Kevin was quite pleasant to work with; he knew the shoes, explained differences between models to me, pointed out details that distinguished their shoes, and even when I was narrowing in on the belgraves, he went to the back to see if he had any other shoes for me to look at, just for perspective. He also let me try shoes of several different lasts to figure out what fit best. Overall, a very pleasant experience that resulted in a purchase. It was not too busy; when other visitors walked in, he would ask my permission to attend to them and say Hi even when it was obvious they were just window shopping.

He did promise to call me back on availability of the Harlech cordovan shell boot, but I never received the call.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know why people care so much about how they are treated in stores. Maybe I am a stone and lack human emotion, but I just care that I can get what I want. I don't really need to be jerked-off just because I might spend money.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
I don't know why people care so much about how they are treated in stores. Maybe I am a stone and lack human emotion, but I just care that I can get what I want. I don't really need to be jerked-off just because I might spend money.

So true. Sometimes when I get dirty looks from the workers I am grinning inside because "you just work here" I have the money to buy stuff in the store though...

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This might be a New York attitude. After a few years of living in NYC, people tend to value their personal space and quiet more than being forced into a superficially pleasant shopping experience. Aside from MTM programs or tailoring, I like minimal interaction with the sales staff. Exceptions to this rule include importers and actual designers.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This might be a New York attitude. After a few years of living in NYC, people tend to value their personal space and quiet more than being forced into a superficially pleasant shopping experience. Aside from MTM programs or tailoring, I like minimal interaction with the sales staff. Exceptions to this rule include importers and actual designers.

It is not that I prefer to be ignored, I am just really indifferent to sales people when it comes to buying a product. I just think it odd to come onto the internet and complain that you weren't given the royal treatment at a store, or come onto the internet to know what to expect from sales people. I mean, if you want Crockett & Jones shoe just buy the damn things, it is not like yo uare getting a better shoe if you leave having had a happy ending.

Last edited:

negusnegas

Reaction score
I don't know if being treated with courtesy and respect is the same as being given the royal treatment. I don't think one should ever underestimate the importance of customer satisfaction. C&J is not the only game in town so it makes sense to not be pricks if only for economic reasons. As for me, I rather be left alone, but I also don't feel like it's my job to run after sales people to convince them to sell me their wares.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With a name brand customer satisfaction is much more about the product than the guy going into the back to measure my foot.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if being treated with courtesy and respect is the same as being given the royal treatment. I don't think one should ever underestimate the importance of customer satisfaction. C&J is not the only game in town so it makes sense to not be pricks if only for economic reasons. As for me, I rather be left alone, but I also don't feel like it's my job to run after sales people to convince them to sell me their wares.

Actually in their price range, C&J is one of the few games in town and definitely the biggest one.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm with you......although frankly I didn't know 'happy endings' were a normal option in a retail setting. hmmmmm................................

swiego

Reaction score

I look for salespeople who:
- are knowledgeable and articulate about their products
- have mastered the art of coming to me when I need help and staying away when I don't
- making me feel welcome and comfortable trying their products to decide what works best for me
- not afraid to point out options that work or don't work for me
- can surprise me with something they have that's even more to my taste than what I thought I had settled on.

It sounds like you enter a store knowing exactly what you want, and therefore primarily expect the sales people to run your card and put the merchandise in a big quickly and quietly. Sometimes that is the case for me too; at a grocery store, I really don't expect to have an entourage following me. However, if I enter a store selling $750 shoes with serious intent to get something but no clear idea exactly what I intend to get, I am going to expect more doting, because otherwise (if they don't help, or if they rush me) there's a chance I'll walk out with the wrong thing.

Last edited:

nerve64

Reaction score

Quote:

So true. Sometimes when I get dirty looks from the workers I am grinning inside because "you just work here" I have the money to buy stuff in the store though...

I hear you dude. Retail workers are the lowest of the low. You should know. You operate an online retail store yourself.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
I hear you dude. Retail workers are the lowest of the low. You should know. You operate an online retail store yourself.
not so sure how to take that...
decisions.gif

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel the same way - but then again I'm a New Yorker.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 Personally as an Englishman and an ex-Londoner I find the American retail approach far too much as well as phony. If I'm looking at you and smiling whilst standing next to something or holding it I need help, if I'm not leave me the hell alone! I don't care for all that 'how is your day, sir?' bollocks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads