1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

wearing the marlows again. damn i love these shoes.

3 people like this.
  2. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

They will be better after a year when they are well broken in.

3. in stitches

I can only imagine. I am trying to wear them as much as possible so I can age them quickly.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

:slayer:

Love mine. I'm thinking about putting together an MTO for a cordovan C&J Draycott or some other unique laceup.

#TeamRoundToe

U gotta get the pennies next. Ditch those pointy ZCoutures :nodding:

Does not take nearly that long to break in.

More like 10+ wearings till the the insole molds to your foot and the sole flexes

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  5. in stitches

Awesome. I cannot wait for that to happen. They are a little bit stiff in the sole, and when they'll soften up it will be perfection.

I do not think I'll be buying any penny loafers soon though. Sorry, bro.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  6. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

8. Patrick R

9. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

How is this possible? That's like 50 wears. More than enough time

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

I think the term "breaking-in" means different things. To me, Assuming I've sized correctly, it means the insole and leather uppers have molded to the shape of my feet and the outsole is flexible with no slippage. I've probably worn my loafers about 25 times over the course of 2 years and they've yet to be broken in. The lindricks on the otherhand are much more comfortable but have the benefit if regular wear

11. Patrick R

Exactly.

12. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

I see on Ralph's site both the Gianni and McCallum are now listed. I thought I've heard the McCallum is on a 325 last but not 100%. Does anybody know what last the Gianni is on? I like the Chukka but the rubber sole is a turn off.

13. cannan

cannan Well-Known Member

14. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

There is no difference in the quality of "Polo" and "Ralph Lauren" branded cordovan shoes made by Crockett and Jones, like the pair you reference. The label change corresponds with the rebranding of Ralph's empire; many newer items now carry a "Ralph Lauren" tag that in the past would have carried a "Polo" or a "Polo Ralph Lauren" one. This is why older Marlow shoes found on eBay and on the forums carry some version of "Polo" branding and have different packaging, green shoe bags and shoe cloths, and much lower original prices than the current $850 MSRP. FYI, the price of cordovan has increased significantly along with demand (and maybe, just maybe, increases in material/production costs) over the last fifteen years.

The shell cordovan material is the same stuff produced by Horween for all of these cordovan Marlow shoes. It is also worth mentioning that the last shape for the Marlow plain toe blucher and wingtip blucher may have changed at least once over the years. I do not know whether there has been a last change for the penny loafer.

I hope this helps.

15. cannan

cannan Well-Known Member

Absolutely that helps, thanks much!! I've been wanting a pair and have noticed a few with the Polo branding but could not discern any noticeable differences. But also didn't want to go head long into a pair of $500+ shoes without making sure.

16. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Marlow pennies today, freshly Mac methoded

Socks: Pentharella
    Pants: PRL

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    2 people like this.
  17. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

no difference between polo vs ralph lauren however the stamp is a good indicator when your shoes were made. Ralph Lauren branded shoes are made within 3 years, Polo before that. I happen to be wearing my Polo Marlow wingtips today:

[​IMG]

18. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

^ those need some mac love

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

takes too much time and this isnt Alden shell we are talking about. C&J scuffs after making contact with just about anything. its far too labor intensive for these pussy hands

1 person likes this.
  20. inimitable

inimitable Well-Known Member

Can you detail this method? I struggle to get much of a shine at all from brushing. If I do it doesn't last more than one wearing before they develop a very matte finish.