• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ holt1981, nice pic of your Marlows. What app did you use for the photo? They look pretty cool against that hardwood floor, that's assuming you were "standing" on it. Psych! The more you buff the Marlows the better they look. The uneven coloration is a common characteristic of shell cordovan, especially in shoes like wingtips. Some people don't like it, but I think it looks cool. As far as the Martian green hues spoken of on these forums like it was the plague, all shell, no matter what the color, eventually fades to light brown anyway. Here's a little "Snapseed" enhanced pic.

rezzor

Reaction score

A size comparison (heels are all even), from left to right Marlow 8.5D, Marlow 8D., AE PA 5 Last 8.5D.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ holt1981, nice pic of your Marlows. What app did you use for the photo? They look pretty cool against that hardwood floor, that's assuming you were "standing" on it... Here's a little "Snapseed" enhanced pic...

Thanks! I was actually using Snapseed as well. Seems like an awesome app for procrastination.

I love the uneven coloring of these Marlows. Adds a huge amount of character to the shoes in my opinion.

Wooden floor is my living room - live in an old luggage factory. The floorboards are certainly very textural, the price I pay is that my socks regularly get torn to shreds.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Sizing for the Marlow wingtips is difficult. If a simple tongue pad makes the shoe perfectly comfortable I would go with it. As for color, I would be patient... these shoes change color significantly over a short period of time with some exposure to light. If you can exchange for the same size with a preferable color, that may be your best option. Otherwise I would stick with them. I think yours still looks great. Here are mine. Haven't used them much since I picked them up about 7 months ago, so not much exposure to light just yet. Good luck!

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very envious of all the shine people managed.

My Marlow always looks dull no matter how hard and often I brush them.

Last edited:

Quantimil

Reaction score
My pair of Marlowes in 9D I bought from hpreston last week. I am usually a short-toed UK8, I could've gone with half a size smaller because the toebox is quite roomy, but thanks to my high instep I can wear these without heel slip. Very, very comfortable. I expected shell to destroy my feet on the first wear, but these... Crockett & Jones is a magnificent manufacturer.

kdv10

Reaction score
Today I received my Marlow PTB from Nick at B. Nelson. I had him put on a topy (front and rear). In addition, a front metal recessed tap on the toe with screws and a rear plastic tap nailed on the heel.

I had originally purchased this from Robert at Ralph Lauren in Chicago during the last sale. He shipped it to my place in San Francisco and all looked good and fit well. Then I turned around and re-sent the shoe to Nick at B. Nelson in New York. Finally, I got it back today. This whole process took 20 business days. 5 day shipping from Chicago to SF. 5 day shipping SF to NY. 5 days for Nick to work on the shoe. And finally 5 days to ship it back to me in San Francisco. The cost was $85.

This is a great pair of shoe and I'm looking forward to wearing it.

Just a little reminder, if you like these Marlow PTB Corodvan shoes, you have to order it from an RL store as the website doesn't carry these.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I received my Marlow PTB from Nick at B. Nelson. I had him put on a topy (front and rear). In addition, a front metal recessed tap on the toe with screws and a rear plastic tap nailed on the heel.

I had originally purchased this from Robert at Ralph Lauren in Chicago during the last sale. He shipped it to my place in San Francisco and all looked good and fit well. Then I turned around and re-sent the shoe to Nick at B. Nelson in New York. Finally, I got it back today. This whole process took 20 business days. 5 day shipping from Chicago to SF. 5 day shipping SF to NY. 5 days for Nick to work on the shoe. And finally 5 days to ship it back to me in San Francisco. The cost was $85.

Just a little reminder, if you like these Marlow PTB Corodvan shoes, you have to order it from an RL store as the website doesn't carry these.

Beautiful pair of horseshoes sir. The PTB's are a wonderful shoe. I've wondered what a topy'd Marlow from B Nelson would look like.The results seem very nice. Please update as to how they work for you. Wear in good health.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's interesting. I have never seen anyone topy the heel. I also had a Topy, flush metal toe taps, an drubber heel taps put on my Marlow Wingtips when I first got them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads