1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ktown

ktown Well-Known Member

I am considering purchasing the Marlow if they are on sale during the fall private sale. A few questions...

AFAIK I don't need any sort of special membership or card or anything to get access to this private sale. I can just go to some link and voila, the shoes will be discounted. Is that correct?

How big of a discount is the private sale. It's 40% or so right? What is this 10% or 15% kicker I hear of? How do I get that?

If I wear 8D in the AE Park Avenue, I should also purchase an 8D Marlow, correct?

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Well-Known Member

When does the fall sale start?

3. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

So I finally have my Marlows. They really are things of beauty and I'll be sure to post some photos at some point soon. At the moment I'm buffing and wearing them around the apartment, sticking to areas where I have carpet / rug. The soles really are stiff and I can only imagine they'll take a age to break in.

Does anyone have a good belt pairing recommendation? Either in cordovan on calf - something in a luxurious dark brown?

4. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Last fall, Give in Style/Pink Pony was Sept 27.
    Private sale was Oct 25.

5. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing one of the belts from Equus leather. The color is either the oak or dark harness. Both have a rich color, the oak is lighter and I would imagine the Marlows would patina to match the lighter shade with time.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new Marlows. Did you get the wingtips, PTB's, or the loafers? Silly question I know, but they are all designated as Marlow on the RL website. Your right on with the buffing, they do come with a car load of wax on them. Surprisingly my wingtips didn't take very long at all to feel comfortable. Nice score!

7. hoit1981

The wingtips. Beautiful. Only issue is some heel slippage with the right shoe - the left is perfect. Would you happen to have a decent solution to that perchance sir?

Mmmm... that Oak Brown looks nice. Thanks for the info.

8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

As you've mentioned the double leather soles are quite stiff and as such a certain amount of heel slippage is to be expected. Nobody's feet are the same size, and we all walk with a gate that is either right or left foot dominant. As you settle into your new shoes they'll begin to mold to the the shape of your feet.

9. gsgleason

gsgleason Well-Known Member

I finally received my Marlow Wingtips from the recent sale.

I'm on the fence about whether I want to keep them.

First, the color isn't nearly as lovely as a lot of the pictures I've seen, which make them out to be a nice mahogany shade. Mine are more greenish like cigar.

Here they are next to my brown shell strands (AE), which are not really that red at all in true light. This is my smartphone 'flash'
    [​IMG]

The second issue is that the flaps close together when they're tied. I'm wearing thin socks, but there is no room to make it tighter, and in my experience shell will stretch a bit over the top, perhaps making them too loose over time.

Thoughts?

10. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

If you're not sold on the colour ... return for refund.
    If you keep and they do loosen over time, a band-aid solution would be the use of a tongue pad.

11. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

RL accept returns also for creased shoes? just for curiosity

12. gsgleason

They came creased and with slightly scuffed soles, so yes, they must. The right shoe was tried on obviously. The left was more virgin.

1 person likes this.
  13. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I have the opposite issue where it doesn't close enough for me. If you are not happy with how much they close, I think they might be too wide for you. Don't think there is really a solution for this unless you are able to size down.

14. gsgleason

There is no way I could size down. These are relatively narrow in the first place, and are snug on the sides, just not on top, and my smaller toes are very close to the edge.

I think a tongue pad or thicker socks should suffice for the ability to tie it tighter.

Now I just need to determine if I want to keep the greenish hue. Why oh why couldn't they look like these from another member (countingsheep)?

15. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

I noticed that old stock of these shoes (Polo branded) have the same color as above.

The actual stock are much darker, almost dark chocolate except under the sun, probably for a different finish that cover the original colour.

16. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Mine from November are darker like you have noticed.

17. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

I understand your fit issues. I have wingtips, PTBs, and two different versions of loafers (Marlow and Prescott) from RL. The cordovan will definitely stretch over time!

I recommend visiting a store to exchange the ones you received for a better fitting pair; RL is always accommodating about this in my experience. I find that the fit and color between pairs of Marlows in the same size can vary dramatically. It seems like the shade of brown cordovan sold by RL has become darker over the years. Keep in mind it is possible to alter the color through a polishing regimen. Good luck.

18. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Gsg just return them you don't seem to be satisfied with these shoes. How many pairs have you gone through now?

19. gsgleason

Touche, sir. I will continue to mull it over.

20. hoit1981

Thought I'd post a quick (edited) photo of my Marlows. Still have some buffing to perform - they coloring is quite uneven in some areas. I'm glad that they don't have any green hues, just a beautiful, rich mahogany :happy:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.